Incredible Member

Default Event Leviathan: Checkmate release date?

Anyone heard anything on the actual release date for this? When the rescheduled list came out last month, it was listed as 6/3. Obviously didn't come out last week, and it isn't showing on Diamond's lists for this week (6/10) or next (6/17).
    (Not that I put much faith in Diamond's release lists since they re-start. Their lists have been all over the map with weird listings. They don't have Batman #93 coming out this week (it is) and they have Lucifer #21 coming out next week, which obviously isn't happening).

Quote Originally Posted by sbp1972 View Post
    Anyone heard anything on the actual release date for this? When the rescheduled list came out last month, it was listed as 6/3. Obviously didn't come out last week, and it isn't showing on Diamond's lists for this week (6/10) or next (6/17).
    (Not that I put much faith in Diamond's release lists since they re-start. Their lists have been all over the map with weird listings. They don't have Batman #93 coming out this week (it is) and they have Lucifer #21 coming out next week, which obviously isn't happening).
    Thanks for asking about this series--just last night I looked for an article about its delay and didn't come up with anything. And like you, I also noticed Diamond's lists for current and next week releases has been way off since their reopening . I thought it was just confined to "next week" releases (which look like maybe they're based on pre-pandemic/closing schedules) but now BATMAN 93 comes along...or won't according to Diamond.

Hopefully someone knows something about the Checkmate series and passes it on here.

Hasn't it been shelved for now ?

I think I remember reading a news about Checkmate being postponed and worked over once more recently. Could be wrong however.

Quote Originally Posted by Korath View Post

I think I remember reading a news about Checkmate being postponed and worked over once more recently. Could be wrong however.
    There were still advertisements for it in this past week's books, but those same advertisements also listed the book as starting in April, so it could just be an old ad that slipped through the cracks.
    Last Read: Aquaman & The Flash: Voidsong

Monthly Pull List: Alan Scott: The Green Lantern, Birds of Prey, Daredevil, Geiger, Green Arrow, Justice Ducks, Justice Society of America, Negaduck, Nightwing, Phantom Road, Shazam!, Suicide Squad: Dream Team, Thundercats, Titans

Quote Originally Posted by Korath View Post

Maybe you're thinking of the Manhunters Secret History series?

...of the Black Priests Midnight_v's Avatar

Its crazy there must have been a bug going around I actually googled this and saw this thread in the results I can't wait to see where this goes.
    My priority is enjoying and supporting stories of timeless heroism and conflict.
    Everything else is irrelevant.

When I google it today, it shows an expected release date of November 3, 2020. If that's the case, why did they have to cancel Andreyko's Manhunter miniseries? I was so looking forward to that.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by brainy1313 View Post
    When I google it today, it shows an expected release date of November 3, 2020. If that's the case, why did they have to cancel Andreyko's Manhunter miniseries? I was so looking forward to that.
    This might be null and void now, but I'm still pulling up a release date for 06-17-2020 for Event Leviathan. Not helping the confusion is the Big Two's increasing inability to communicate with the fans about things such as this.

http://www.comiclist.com/index.php/l...20-2-weeks-out

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Noodle View Post
    There were still advertisements for it in this past week's books, but those same advertisements also listed the book as starting in April, so it could just be an old ad that slipped through the cracks.
    Those books were printed in March for April release.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stingo View Post
    This might be null and void now, but I'm still pulling up a release date for 06-17-2020 for Event Leviathan. Not helping the confusion is the Big Two's increasing inability to communicate with the fans about things such as this.

http://www.comiclist.com/index.php/l...20-2-weeks-out
    Almost everything DC is coming out, just pushed back two months. Other than the previously axed 5G preludes and the rest of Supergirl and Terrifics being digital only there has not been much for DC to need to update fans on. Manhunters was also announced as axed. So something like this title being in shipping limbo probably either has to do with Diamond trying to find them in their warehouse or DC trying to get new ones printed, as this would have been printed and sitting somewhere before everything shut down.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by cranger View Post
    Those books were printed in March for April release.

Almost everything DC is coming out, just pushed back two months. Other than the previously axed 5G preludes and the rest of Supergirl and Terrifics being digital only there has not been much for DC to need to update fans on. Manhunters was also announced as axed. So something like this title being in shipping limbo probably either has to do with Diamond trying to find them in their warehouse or DC trying to get new ones printed, as this would have been printed and sitting somewhere before everything shut down.
    Sure, I understand that theory. But, when DC released their revised, re-opening shipping schedule last month for June and July, they had issues 1 (6/2) and 2 (6/30) on the schedule. And now, both have mysteriously disappeared. And 3 wasn't in the revised solicits for August.
    Seems to me, if there was a doubt about being able to print new stock or find existing stock, you wouldn't be advertising it's release just a couple of weeks out. And I would think that Bendis, who is generally pretty active speaking about his upcoming books, would say something simple like, "Hey, guys, sorry we've had a little delay due to XXX". But, he's been radios silent, as has Maleev.

I mean, not the biggest issue in the world, I just find it curious and interesting. A re-work going on? Pre-orders underwhelming? Etc?

Extraordinary Member

I mean, not the biggest issue in the world, I just find it curious and interesting. A re-work going on? Pre-orders underwhelming? Etc?
    Could be something like. Maybe pushed back as to not compete with Joker War, Death Metal, etc. Bendis probably expects his book to sell relatively well and might even be wanting it pushed back himself to have the book release in a better time to maximize royalties. I am not sure how much Bendis usually mentions delays other than big books but I think those usually follow statements from the editor/publisher.

It isn't listed in DC's September solicits so looks like it's been pushed back for awhile.