Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Default Do you believe "Superman was never cool" ?

It was one of those things that was repeated ad nauseam in the N52 days as far as I can tell a rebuff to the more golden age angle they were going for back then. Which I always find funny given that Post-Crisis went out of it's way to ditch the loser Kent schtick and gave him the Mr.Popularity angle.

Imo while it's very clear there's nothing cool about modern Superman at the very least Golden Age Superman had elements that people found admirable and still try to emulate.
    Last edited by The World; 06-08-2020 at 09:23 AM.
    Rules are for lesser men, Charlie - Grand Pa Joe ~ Willy Wonka & Chocolate Factory

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Superman was damn cool and he was damn badass as well.

Look at this stuff.The first time he became faster than a speeding bullet.
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 06-08-2020 at 09:29 AM.

You don't sell as many comics as Superman without being "cool" at some point. Likewise, you don't get radio shows, TV shows, cartoons, and the most expensive movie (for its time, essentially twice) made if people think the character is lame.

That is the worst pro-Superman argument there is. “He’s supposed to be retro” is the second worst. Neither of them are true, and both are idiotic and don’t hold up at all. If he wasn’t cool, he would’ve died with the JSA. Supes, Bats, and WW carried forward into the Silver Age because they were cool. That Supes is no longer regarded as such has to do with the frankly terrible handling he’s gotten. He’s also not supposed to be retro, that was an angle the Donner films went with that I regard as a mistake. It puts a limit to what he can meaningfully deal with, because he’s not literally from the past like Captain America is, and frankly the retro takes like Johns are far inferior to the modern takes Morrison and Waid brought to the table.

He's not cool in that trendy, "I listen to the newest music and know the latest hashtag" kind of way. He's not cool in a obvious, "trying too hard" kind of way >coughbatmancough<

But Superman has always been cool. He's cool in that truly alpha, "I don't need to prove sh*t to anyone" kind of way. He doesn't give a damn if you think he's cool or not, he just goes out there and does the job. And there's nothing cooler than that.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Is this not cool?

Or this?

Also this was awesome I don’t care what the haters say:

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

I don't think that stuff really impresses people who aren't already into the character very often.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    He's not cool in that trendy, "I listen to the newest music and know the latest hashtag" kind of way. He's not cool in a obvious, "trying too hard" kind of way >coughbatmancough<

But Superman has always been cool. He's cool in that truly alpha, "I don't need to prove sh*t to anyone" kind of way. He doesn't give a damn if you think he's cool or not, he just goes out there and does the job. And there's nothing cooler than that.

That's more along the lines of what I would say, too. Superman doesn't have to be edgy to work, and in that sense he's very cool.

But if we're saying "cool" like we say it when talking about leather jackets or motorcycles (ROFL) then I think we're talking about something from the early 40s. And sorry, but that kind of cool isn't there now. "cool" doesn't last 80 years.
    Welcome or welcome back! Please check out the updated
    CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

First and third one is damn cool. Second one is meh! For me. I still think superman has more scope while leaping tall buildings.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kuwagaton View Post
    But if we're saying "cool" like we say it when talking about leather jackets or motorcycles (ROFL) then I think we're talking about something from the early 40s. And sorry, but that kind of cool isn't there now... but "cool" doesn't last 80 years.
    What? I don't think 40's superman was the biker type. He was more of a gym freak.I believe siegel or shuster was into that stuff as well.
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 06-08-2020 at 11:12 AM.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

I'm laughing because a few years ago they went and put him on a motorcycle.

But in describing his old coolness in comparison to those items, I mean that there was an implication of rebellious attitude, not that he directly associated with them.
    Welcome or welcome back! Please check out the updated
    CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

But in describing his old coolness in comparison to those items, I mean that there was an implication of rebellious attitude, not that he directly associated with them.
    Lol wasn’t the first time he’s gotten a motorcycle and leather!

Also Godfall’s cycle and outfit was sick and it actually increased sales!

In later years, Siegel once recalled that this Superman wore a "bat-like" cape in some panels, but typically he and Shuster agreed there was no costume yet, and there is none apparent in the surviving artwork.[10][11]
    Here is an interesting quote gentlemen and ladies, superman was supposed to be the original cape crusader.
    As a boy, Shuster was interested in fitness culture[62] and a fan of strongmen such as Siegmund Breitbart and Joseph Greenstein. He collected fitness magazines and manuals and used their photographs as visual references for his art.[3]
    From Wikipedia, so take it with a grain of salt. But, i tend to agree. Supes is a legit strongman. The strongman workout ethics:

Strongmen still being about functional strength make superman still one.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post

Co-signed in full.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    That is the worst pro-Superman argument there is. “He’s supposed to be retro” is the second worst. Neither of them are true, and both are idiotic and don’t hold up at all. If he wasn’t cool, he would’ve died with the JSA. Supes, Bats, and WW carried forward into the Silver Age because they were cool. That Supes is no longer regarded as such has to do with the frankly terrible handling he’s gotten. He’s also not supposed to be retro, that was an angle the Donner films went with that I regard as a mistake. It puts a limit to what he can meaningfully deal with, because he’s not literally from the past like Captain America is, and frankly the retro takes like Johns are far inferior to the modern takes Morrison and Waid brought to the table.
    "He's not suppossed to be relatable like the Marvel heroes" is another bad one.

Anyway, I don't think he would have kickstarted the entire genre, become one of America's largest pop culture icons and been the most poplar superhero for a good 50 years or so, and still be considered one of the biggest even after losing that title, without being considered "cool" for some points. I think him being considered less cool after a point was always inevitable considering trends are always changing. Grim, flawed anti-heroes being big in the 80s and Batman being easier to be turned into something like that is the main reason he started to overtake Superman in the popularity department. It was always going to happen and there's always a possibility things will shift again. But I do think some decisions DC and WB have made since the 80s have done damage to the "cool" reputation that otherwise may not have been as damaged as it was

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by The World View Post
    It was one of those things that was repeated ad nauseam in the N52 days as far as I can tell a rebuff to the more golden age angle they were going for back then. Which I always find funny given that Post-Crisis went out of it's way to ditch the loser Kent schtick and gave him the Mr.Popularity angle.

Imo while it's very clear there's nothing cool about modern Superman at the very least Golden Age Superman had elements that people found admirable and still try to emulate.
    Modern Superman bagged Wonder Woman. End of story.

Superman was definitely cool in the first several decades at the very least, and still has some pretty cool moments even now. Heck, read Superman Smashes the Klan, he's got some cool moments in there, like when he's got two Klansmen and he throws one of them in a tree because he only needs one to spoilers:
    find the bomb they planted.
    end of spoilers That was pretty great.