Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 44
  1. #16
    Standing Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    13,667

    Default

    I know that "cool" being used as an adjective to mean impressive has been around for a very long time, but when I was a kid (as far as I recall) this meaning didn't come into my consciousness until after I had discovered Superman. I think I was probably ten or eleven before this kind of usage was something that I could employ. And even then, I wasn't sure if it was going to last, because there were adjectives like "groovy," "hip," "far out" that had a short shelf life and expired. I find it remarkable that "cool" is still cool.

    I think that cool is a very temporary condition. Because something that's cool at a certain time is cool because it's in fashion. Which means as soon as the fashion changes that thing has become uncool. So for Superman to keep being cool, he keeps having to change to be what is cool now. And whenever we look back on the past trends, we must have very intimate knowledge of history to tell what was cool and what wasn't cool at a specific point in time.

    Superman was racist toward the Japanese circa 1942-45, but that was cool with people at the time. So being cool can be a trap. If people try too hard to be cool, they end up following trends that in hindsight were very bad. "It's a fool who plays it cool by making his world a little colder."
    🇨🇦

  2. #17
    Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Posts
    5,328

    Default

    I think Superman is always the coolest guy in the room because he isn't ever trying to be. I don't like cool Clark because I think it defeats the entire purpose of the character. It doesn't mean Clark has to be a doormat, but I am a strong believer in dork Clark.

  3. #18
    Astonishing Member Restingvoice's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Posts
    4,993

    Default

    My definition of cool is, of course, affected by what I experienced and what's considered cool by people around me.

    In DC, that's mainly Batman, but even he gets made fun of for wearing underwear on the outside. My friends prefer movies because it has no underwear on the outside. They don't read comics.

    The poster boy for the definition of coolness when I was in high school or college was Dante from Devil May Cry. There's also Cloud Strife from FFVII and then later Leon S. Kennedy from Resident Evil 4. Not exactly broody characters, but has darkness and danger around them.

    Especially Dante is the type of people who don't follow rules and does what he wants. To a teenager stuck in a school, that is the definition of cool since we're bored thinking why we should even study this when we know it's not gonna be used in real life, and here is a character who doesn't follow rules. So they're cool. While good guys are as boring as the school itself.

    When it comes to Superman, Donner Superman is cool in everything he does at being a hero, but the first time I saw cool Superman was in the artwork by... I don't know if it's Byrne or Jurgens... and Jim Lee where dons an aggressive face.

    That's cool to me. Not because he looks like he can lose it, but because he looks like he's had enough. Just like me had enough with following school rules. Especially in contrast with the popular depiction of Superman being all smile and kind. Superman smiling and kind is normal but furrowed, with red eyes is different. Now you understand me. Now you get what I want, and therefore now you're cool and sexy.

    As an adult, of course, that definition changes. Dante becomes annoying, while Superman who's respectful, patient, and kind becomes cool because now I know the necessity, quality, and pride of being kind and patient despite dealing with awful people, adults, or young.

    This doesn't mean characters like Dante no longer has value, it's just a different time for that value, because I had a different need at a different age, and these characters fulfill that need.
    Last edited by Restingvoice; 06-08-2020 at 10:48 PM.

  4. #19
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    23,431

    Default

    No.

    10 chars.

  5. #20

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DochaDocha View Post
    You don't sell as many comics as Superman without being "cool" at some point. Likewise, you don't get radio shows, TV shows, cartoons, and the most expensive movie (for its time, essentially twice) made if people think the character is lame.
    I don't think "cool" and popular are the same thing though, Mickey Mouse is incredibly popular but I don't know if anyone thinks of him as cool. Same thing for characters like Captain America, Elmo, Archie from Archie comics, Kermit the Frog, Mr. Bean, SpongeBob Squarepants, etc. I'd say not being "cool" is actually apart of the appeal of some characters.

    In the stereotypical Fonzie from Happy Days definition of the word Superman may not be seen as cool but it doesn't matter because he's extremely popular anyway.

    Batman, Spider-Man, Wolverine, Iron Man, Black Panther and Deadpool are the comic book heroes who are usually considered cool in that kind of way.

  6. #21
    Astonishing Member manwhohaseverything's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    4,707

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    No.

    10 chars.
    Then who is your definition of cool?
    Quote Originally Posted by The True Detective View Post
    Batman, Spider-Man, Wolverine, Iron Man, Black Panther and Deadpool are the comic book heroes who are usually considered cool in that kind of way.
    Since, when is spiderman cool? He is a nerd with lots of issues. I don't think deadpool is cool either. Wolverine, batman, black panther are the only one's relatively cool. Yeah! Superman can take the three of them on. Especially, if you are going for the zorro-esque swashbuckling vigilante interpretation of superman.
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 06-09-2020 at 02:01 AM.

  7. #22

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    Then who is your definition of cool?


    Since, when is spiderman cool? He is a nerd with lots of issues. I don't think deadpool is cool either. Wolverine, batman, black panther are the only one's relatively cool. Yeah! Superman can take the three of them on. Especially, if you are going for the zorro-esque swashbuckling vigilante interpretation of superman.
    Spider-Man's seen as a cool nerd by a lot of people, he's a young, quick witted New Yorker in a cool looking costume so of course people are going to think he's cool. Deadpool probably ranks the lowest of all the characters I named but since he's super violent, breaks the 4th wall and curses a lot he fits the mold of what people think of edgy and cool.

  8. #23
    Standing Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    13,667

    Default

    Surely, as we advance in life, we revise our opinion on what is cool. I hope we do.
    🇨🇦

  9. #24
    Astonishing Member manwhohaseverything's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    4,707

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The True Detective View Post
    Spider-Man's seen as a cool nerd by a lot of people, he's a young, quick witted New Yorker in a cool looking costume so of course people are going to think he's cool. Deadpool probably ranks the lowest of all the characters I named but since he's super violent, breaks the 4th wall and curses a lot he fits the mold of what people think of edgy and cool.
    Yeah! Swearing and breaking fourth doesn't seem "cool". As for spiderman, wasn't amazing spiderman taken to task for making peter parker into a cool dude?

  10. #25
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Posts
    482

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    Yeah! Swearing and breaking fourth doesn't seem "cool". As for spiderman, wasn't amazing spiderman taken to task for making peter parker into a cool dude?
    Spidey has tons of cool moments that he defines in being a lovable fun loving joke machine who can beat up the most serious and respectable heroes and villains while dating super model babes on his off days. Even at his cringest, hes often seen as the cool kid that makes heroes interesting by his involvment being audience aware voice.

    Superman has to be one of those characters thats only cool element about him is how he is used to raise the measuring stick on how to be cooler than as a tougher, more confident, more sexually irresitable and less of a corn ball they are to him most famous being batman, john constantine, lobo and dare i say it darkseid.
    Last edited by SpideyCeo; 06-09-2020 at 09:28 AM.

  11. #26
    Astonishing Member Yoda's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Posts
    2,135

    Default

    Superman should always be cool and confident. It's a mature coolness that when written well feels natural and effortless.

    When this criticism was being thrown around it was generally in reference to the try hard efforts in the New 52. I don't think it has anything to do with the Golden Age elements, cause those only existed in Morrison's first six issues. I think it really is in reference to the editors they had at the time that went out of their way to make him sound like Poochie from the Simpsons. It's the definition of trying to hard. The most recent example would probably be Miller's Year One, which spiraled from being just a terrible comic into unintentional parody with the second and third issues, particularly with all the ridiculous Atlantis, Batman, and Wonder Woman scenes.
    Last edited by Yoda; 06-09-2020 at 08:56 PM.

  12. #27
    Astonishing Member manwhohaseverything's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    4,707

    Default

    Cool or not, a gym freak superman would always be welcomed by me.

  13. #28
    Astonishing Member DochaDocha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    3,237

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    Cool or not, a gym freak superman would always be welcomed by me.
    Ok, I'll bite. What do you mean when you say "gym freak"?

  14. #29
    Astonishing Member manwhohaseverything's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    4,707

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DochaDocha View Post
    Ok, I'll bite. What do you mean when you say "gym freak"?
    Someone who has a workout on his mind most of the time. Someone who likes flexing his muscles and giving a pose.That's generally it.

  15. #30
    Astonishing Member DochaDocha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    3,237

    Default

    I was looking for a video clip, but I couldn't find it. We'll have to settle for audio-only.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •