Page 30 of 34 FirstFirst ... 20262728293031323334 LastLast

Thread: Transformers

I like what Furman did and I like a lot of what Robers and Barber did, but both had their issues.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I like what Furman did and I like a lot of what Robers and Barber did, but both had their issues.
    I know I just ranted a whole bunch but I really do appreciate the pre-Dark Cyberton Barber and Roberts run. If they had quit after Dark Cybertron I'd easily consider it the best of IDW.

Quote Originally Posted by wyokid View Post
    I know I just ranted a whole bunch but I really do appreciate the pre-Dark Cyberton Barber and Roberts run. If they had quit after Dark Cybertron I'd easily consider it the best of IDW.
    Honestly the whole "The Autobots were just as bad all along!" or "The Decepticons were just misunderstood!" or "let's hate on Optimus Prime!" or "this is my rant on theology using robots who I write as indistinguishable from humans" got to be a bit too much for me at times.

Spectacular Member SavageJudgeDredd's Avatar

inserting his fetishes into the narrative. It's not just trash, its degenerate trash.

Fact of the matter is there's zero reason for Transformers to have genders, let alone all the other nonsensical crap Roberts was putting in to appeal to Twitter and his own sick fantasies. That's why what Furman did with Arcee was so genius.
    I googled it and I couldn't find, what are the parts you are referring to here as sick fantasies and fetish stuff etc? Just curious, I haven't read that run but been curious to try it.

Extraordinary Member

A new artist is preparing to roll out into Skybound and Hasbro’s Energon Universe, with Popverse breaking the news that Jorge Corona will step onto the current Transformers comic book series as series artist with April’s seventh issue, which also marks the start of the second story arc in the run.

In a statement that accompanied the announcement, Corona said, “It started with a ‘Do you want to work on a book with Daniel Warren Johnson?’ and just in case that wasn't a deafening ‘YES,’ they added: ‘It's for the Transformers book.’ Growing up with Transformers and its many iterations expanded in many ways what a cartoon could do for me."

"Even though it had the classic good vs. evil premise, it also added malleability to what the characters could do in that world. Betrayals, regrets, self-doubts, were all emotions that drove these characters and it added a complexity that I wasn't familiar with in other shows. Fast forward to 30 years later and here I am seeing Daniel's take on the franchise, rooted in his love for the original Generation One version, and it's like reliving those childhood memories multiplied by a thousand. I am very honored and humbled to be a part of this project and cannot wait to share all of the craziness that's coming up in the book.”

Johnson, who remains with the series as writer — accompanied by colorist Mike Spicer, who is also staying on the title — had this to add: “It’s a rare breed of artist that can naturally bring an organic quality to things that are inherently mechanical, and Jorge is one of those chosen few. Prepare your eyes for a feast of brawn and beauty, my friends. This man draws a mean looking Soundwave. KA BAM!”

It’s not just a mean looking Soundwave he draws, as can be seen by a glimpse at Corona’s variant cover to #7 (Johnson and Spicer provide the main cover for the issue):

I think Corona will carry on from Johnsons style well .

Extraordinary Member

Transformers #5 Preview
    Writer: Daniel Warren Johnson
    Artist: Daniel Warren Johnson

Quote Originally Posted by Hypo View Post
    Transformers #5 Preview
    Writer: Daniel Warren Johnson
    Artist: Daniel Warren Johnson

I like Optimus relating to Sparkplug as a fellow vet because Peter Cullen's source for Optimus Prime's voice was his own brother as a vet.

I also like how Thundercracker is immediately concerned about Skywarp.

Near mint condition in saturdays livestream says so big breakthrough with idw transformers but can't say anymore till he is given the ok. Sounds like someone is getting or on the verge of getting idw reprint rights.

I am LOVING this whole emerging universe thing and especially TF. Id love to do a variant for this book.

If that's the case then why don't I own them and do own Furman? Its because Roberts and Barber were literally the people running TF when it tanked and was cancelled. Whatever good they once achieved was ruined by themselves. Everything after Dark Cybertron was so bad it ruined all of their work from before it. I'll give them that much, pre-Dark Cybertron was genuinely great. Keyword being "was". Barber went into autopilot mode and had clearly long since stopped caring. Roberts was especially heinous with him going full coomer and inserting his fetishes into the narrative. It's not just trash, its degenerate trash.

Fact of the matter is there's zero reason for Transformers to have genders, let alone all the other nonsensical crap Roberts was putting in to appeal to Twitter and his own sick fantasies. That's why what Furman did with Arcee was so genius. Jhiaxus introduced the concept of "Her" into the culture, creating "Him" as a byproduct. Almost an complete reversal of Adam and Eve with Jhiaxus playing god. It was a great way to keep gender as part of the franchise and actually have it make sense. Massively underrated.

For whatever reason pearl clutchers couldn't read and assumed this was "anti-women" despite the issue being very clear that male Transformers didn't exist either until Jhiaxus made them exist. Even more than that Furman created a victim, someone that a younger and abused me could relate to despite being a man. I felt Arcee's hatred and bloodlust towards my own perpetrators. It gave me an incredible outlet and understanding of a lot of things I was feeling myself. Arcee was genuinely one of the best characters in his run. Its a shame it had to be rushed to conclusion.

The fact that they tried to cancel the Larry Hama of Transformers over something that makes common sense as "robots are robots" is just laughable. That's not even getting into how left wing Furman is. Furman is the godfather of Transformers and deserves more respect than that. I hope Kirkman is smart and brings him back. I'd love to see him finish his Dreamwave stuff and IDW Beast Wars. It would be amazing if he could retcon his last two IDW series and finish the run properly.
    First off the Transformers have always had genders Arcee, Elita One, Chromia, Moonracer, Firestar, and Beta were all from the original cartoon show from the 80s and you can watch the season 2 episode The Search for Alpha Trion and season 3 episode "Tomorrow is a Long Time Coming" for Beta and The Transformers: The Movie for Arcee. Since you're acting like a bigot I'm going to treat like one. They're aliens first and foremost, robots second.

Second: Furman's need for an origin for Arcee is stupid just like both of his origin stories the IDW one is transphobic because it implies that Arcee was FORCED against her will to undergo a sex change operation just because Jixhaus was bored. That is insulting not only to trans people, but to decent people in general (something you have clearly show you are not, regardless of your sad origin story). Basically the retcon that they did Arcee went there willing and went insane because something went wrong was a way to save Furman's ass. The comics showed that the Transformers had romantic feelings for each other so Roberts made them gay and that some were willing to become transgender was a way to explore themes of gender identity, sexuality, love, and more.

Third: Furman's run was awful because he was either unable or unwilling to change with the times he has shown time and time and time again he has too great stories one shots and 25+ issues epics, he can't write a mini-series to save his life.

Now if Furman's work was so good why did IDW cancel it and replace it with the fun and better than it should've been All Hail Megatron and the boring as hell Mike Costa run? And do I have full run of Barber, Roberts, and Scott's work and don't have anything of Furman's run after Stormbringer? You see two can play that game. I've put you on my ignore list and I would recommend you put me on yours this will save the mods and a lot people here a lot of grief. Leave me alone and I'll leave you alone.
    Last edited by Cyberstrike; 01-31-2024 at 06:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SavageJudgeDredd View Post
    I googled it and I couldn't find, what are the parts you are referring to here as sick fantasies and fetish stuff etc? Just curious, I haven't read that run but been curious to try it.
    That is because it doesn't exist except maybe on anti-LGBT blogs and websites and/or in their own mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyberstrike View Post
    First off the Transformers have always had genders Arcee, Elita One, Chromia, Moonracer, Firestar, and Beta were all from the original cartoon show from the 80s and you can watch the season 2 episode The Search for Alpha Trion and season 3 episode "Tomorrow is a Long Time Coming" for Beta and The Transformers: The Movie for Arcee. Since you're acting like a bigot I'm going to treat like one. They're aliens first and foremost, robots second.

Second: Furman's need for an origin for Arcee is stupid just like both of his origin stories the IDW one is a transphobic because it implies that Arcee was FORCED against her will to undergo a sex change operation because Jixhaus was bored. That is insulting not only to trans people, but to decent people in general (something you have clearly show you are not, regardless of your sad origin story). Basically the retcon that they did Arcee went there willing was to save Furman's ass. The comics showed that the Transformers had romantic feelings for each other so Roberts made them gay.

Third: Furman's run was awful because he was either unable or unwilling to change with the times he has shown time and time and time again he has too great stories one shots and 25+ issues epics, he can't write a mini-series to save his life.

Now if Furman's work was so good why did IDW cancel it and replace it with the fun and better than it should've been All Hail Megatron and the boring as hell Mike Costa run? And do I have full run of Barber, Roberts, and Scott's work and don't have anything of Furman's run after Stormbringer? You see two can play that game. I've put you on my ignore list and I would recommend you put me on yours this will save the mods and a lot people here a lot of grief. Leave me alone and I'll leave you alone.
    I always hated how AHM threw out so much of the world-building and build up of the initial IDW era for something more like a pastiche of G1. It just felt more shallow and "blockbuster-y."

I also own all of Furman's run in trade form.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I always hated how AHM threw out so much of the world-building and build up of the initial IDW era for something more like a pastiche of G1. It just felt more shallow and "blockbuster-y."

I also own all of Furman's run in trade form.
    I liked some of Furman's ideas the Reapers, Sixshot, Galvatron being older than Megatron, and even the Machination as a concept. What I didn't like Sunstreaker becoming a Headmaster, any of the annoying humans he created) the Dead Universe, Nova Prime, and that thing Hot Rod finds in his spotlight. The problem is that IMHO Furman couldn't write it as a continuing mini-series and one shots (which was how IDW published the series for years) and adding more and more things and ideas and "saying that it'll work out in the end" when he did start paying things off like the Decepticons vs. The Reapers and Sixshot vs.the Autobots were IMHO HUGE letdowns and Revelation and Maximum Dinobots are two of the worst comics I've ever read in my life. I felt like he should've plotted the series and let someone else write them for the continuing or IDW should have given him an ongoing series (or a series without a set number of issues) so he could write at his own pace. I also own all Furman's run in trade except the last two I might thrown them in the trash or not I got so many it's hard to remember.

I felt AHM was a lot of fun and a lot better than any of the Bay films which is a low bar to clear I know but that series is what got me back into The Transformers and comics in general after a 3 year break.
    Last edited by Cyberstrike; 01-31-2024 at 06:42 PM.