Page 23 of 34 FirstFirst ... 1319202122232425262733 ... LastLast

Thread: Transformers

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Wayne View Post
    The problem is going all in for the cartoon isn't bearing the dividends like it use to (like with Dreamwave). IDW had the All Hail Megatron series which was going for the cartoon audience and iirc the sales were just flat and people weren't fans of it. You have to bring something new to the table beside cartoon homages like what Kirkman is doing now with the first issue of Void Rivals.
    One thing you have to understand these are indy titles-many of whom don't always get orders.

So there are folks who probably never saw those books nor the trades to buy them.

I work in the school system-shockingly the only IDW books we can order are Star Trek and TMNT.

The problem is going all in for the cartoon isn't bearing the dividends like it use to (like with Dreamwave). IDW had the All Hail Megatron series which was going for the cartoon audience and iirc the sales were just flat and people weren't fans of it. You have to bring something new to the table beside cartoon homages like what Kirkman is doing now with the first issue of Void Rivals.
    Exactly, fans will want to see something new, not the same characters and storylines done for the upteenth time.

So hang on - this deal doesnt include the rights to reprint the Marvel GI Joe run?
    That means we might not see proper classic Joe collections for years and years. The IDW hardcover classic Joe reprint line suddenly stopped half way thru all those years ago.

Is there a chance another publisher can get those classic Joe rights - in the same way Star Wars pops up at Dark Horse and Marvel currently?
    Currently Reading:
    Milligan's Shade the Changing Man, Vertigo Hellblazer trades, Love and Rockets TPBs, Stray Bullets TPBs, Ellis' The Wildstorm

Quote Originally Posted by Destro777 View Post
    So hang on - this deal doesnt include the rights to reprint the Marvel GI Joe run?
    Where does it say that?

I don't think this is going to go all cartoon any more than stuff like Cyberverse, the movies, or IDW did, just probably G1 inspired designs, the base premise of TF, and going from there.

Mighty Member McFarlane's Green Hulk's Avatar

Explained here at the 1:31:15 mark.

I'm HOPING he's just specific to the Transformers, but he said "Marvel's runs", as in plural. Could have been a slip of the tongue, could have been referencing EVERYTHING Marvel TF-related like the Movie adaption, Headmasters, and the Universe series, but when he mentions the licensing is not across the board...I don't know if it's to both franchises or one.
    Now I've heard that there's going to be a reprint of G.I. Joe #1 that includes Larry Hama's original script...so again, who knows, maybe it's just Transformers that cannot be reprinted.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I don't think this is going to go all cartoon any more than stuff like Cyberverse, the movies, or IDW did, just probably G1 inspired designs, the base premise of TF, and going from there.
    Put out a couple of anthology titles, like Dreamwave did with this summer special, or the old Tales to Astonish/Suspense by Marvel to help satisfy G1 die-hards.
    Pick G1 and BW as the main, with rotating franchises like RID or Armada. Hell, give me some Headmasters, Masterforce and Victory!

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by McFarlane's Green Hulk View Post
    Explained here at the 1:31:15 mark.

Why is Windblade a problem? I thought she was created by Hasbro via the create-a-transformer contest?

Why is Windblade a problem? I thought she was created by Hasbro via the create-a-transformer contest?
    Yeah, and they've been using her fine for years.

Near mint says transformers marvel reprints for image are "off limits". Idw reprints is in tons of red tape also but can be done. Just will be hard.

Says gijoe marvel is not "off limits" like transformers but will be really hard to get with tons of red tape.

This has many wondering if marvel has the transformers marvel reprint rights but not gijoe? Can't be the marvel cameos in transformers as jj, daily bugle and shang chi was in gijoe.

There is something completely screwy with the TF reprinting rights.

As someone else stated, Titan Books had collected the Marvel run 20 years ago. All 80 issues of the main series and the G2 follow up. Only thing they didn't collect was the Universe and vs. GI Joe mini.

Flash forward a few years and IDW makes a half-assed attempt with the first edition of Classic Transformers. Issue #3 was edited heavily because of the Spider-Man appearance, and my memory could be playing tricks on me, but I thought issue #9 was too, because Circuit Breaker was a Marvel copyrighted character. But that can't be right, because that would mean all of her later appearances would have to be edited out too. Sadly, the production value on these were garbage, looked like someone just took a low resolution scan of the Titan reprints and put them on glossy paper and charged $20 for them. (It looked like they did the same when they reprinted the Archie TMNT Adventures series too, which sucked because I loved that series.)

Flash forward again and we get these beauties. Better paper stock, and labeled as "Freshly re-mastered and re-colored, these stories are accompanied by an in-depth introduction as well as select issue notes by Mark W. Bellomo."
    Nothing is left out. You got the Universe profiles, the Movie adaption, Headmasters and Joe mini. Issue #3 is reprinted fully. Hell, they went into the UK stories too! Never finished, but they attempt was made and the Bellomo text was nice to read.

My question is....WHAT THE EFFING HELL HAPPENED BETWEEN THEN AND NOW to turn it into a difficult **** show???
    Simple answer is lawyers and corporations.
    But geezus, c'mon already....

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by McFarlane's Green Hulk View Post
    My question is....WHAT THE EFFING HELL HAPPENED BETWEEN THEN AND NOW to turn it into a difficult **** show???
    Simple answer is lawyers and corporations.
    But geezus, c'mon already....
    Probably IDW want to keep the reprint rights as that is source of income for them while they deal with money issues.

Remember IDW still has some rights to all of Hasbro's other stuff.

Now it is funny Boom Studios is not having these issues with Power Ranger Marvel and Image stuff-all that is being reprint in a hardcover next year (as part of the Boom Studios Power Ranger Kickstarter.)

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

Will IDW be able to fully collect the last TF material into the Deluxe Hardcovers? I think it'll either be Phase 3 volume4 or 5, kind of lost track.
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

DWJ's Transformers, a book so seismic it'll get me to buy my first transformer comic, is sure not getting lots of buzz, huh?

Astonishing Member

The guy's an unknown quality to the readerbase. The only people fans know are Budiansky/Furman and maybe Roberts (since he was a fan for along time and had written a fan tf novel).