Page 22 of 34 FirstFirst ... 1218192021222324252632 ... LastLast

Thread: Transformers

I think it’s just something Hasbro wants to happen, even the Transformers rpg game has a crossover with GI Joe, though also power rangers for good measure.

https://renegadegamestudios.com/pdf-...er-sourcebook/
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Spectacular Member SavageJudgeDredd's Avatar

This could be fun! Kirkman is a cool cat, I'm on board to give his take on these a whirl. Well, his studio/label.

I don't mind Image/Skybound but I'd rather just get new TF and Joe comics then immediately cross them over or put them together with a new Kirkman comic.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    No idea about the writer but the art looks good.

Joshua Williamson and G.I. Joe!? Wow.

So is Duke basically a Joe book while CC is a Cobra book? Or are they just one-shots that lead into G.I. Joe?

I wonder if more licensed comics is really more exciting to the market than a new creator owned book from Kirkman.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I don't mind Image/Skybound but I'd rather just get new TF and Joe comics then immediately cross them over or put them together with a new Kirkman comic.
    Same here, I prefer Transformers and G.I Joe to be seperate

I kind of wish G.I. Joe was doing it's own thing instead of just reacting to Transformers, but that might get more people to check it out.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    No idea about the writer but the art looks good.

Joshua Williamson and G.I. Joe!? Wow.

So is Duke basically a Joe book while CC is a Cobra book? Or are they just one-shots that lead into G.I. Joe?
    I have heard unverified hearsay that they are four issue miniseries leading into an ongoing series.

Astonishing Member

*sigh* Looks like Kirkman's understanding of Transformer is from the G1 cartoon and TFTM and they are going hard to appeal to that demographic. I'm guessing that'll be the same for Joe. That's it's all going to be a callback to those original cartoons. Seems like even the toy designers at Hasbro aren't so weeded to nostalgia and actually know about stuff outside the Americans cartoons (like IDW, G2, UT, BW/BM, Masterforce/Victory/HMs).
    Last edited by Bruce Wayne; 06-14-2023 at 06:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Wayne View Post
    *sigh* Looks like Kirkman's understanding of Transformer is from the G1 cartoon and TFTM and they are going hard to appeal to that demographic. I'm guessing that'll be the same for Joe. That's it's all going to be a callback to those original cartoons. Seems like even the toy designers at Hasbro aren't so weeded to nostalgia and actually know about stuff outside the Americans cartoons (like IDW, G2, UT, BW/BM, Masterforce/Victory/HMs).
    It's never a good thing when writers only use one era as refernce, but given next year is the 40th anniversary of Transformers it is also not surprising given Hasbro's plans

Spectacular Member SavageJudgeDredd's Avatar

Me and my friends are big time disciples of Transformers: The Movie, it's our fav. We have watched it so many times, so many quotes, just got a new friend into it lately too. It's like, by far the best thing related to Transformers ever. I've also noticed Kirkman having a framed Transformers: The Movie poster on his wall while doing interviews online before, thought that was cool.

I think with a Kirkman produced book, he likes to mix things up. I'm sure if these books are successful and last, five years from now we'll have a pretty different and new status quo. But I gotta say, I enjoy these references, and I'm in my 30s so I wasn't even there at the time. It's just the best. Kind of like how the Star Wars trilogy is the best part of that universe, at least in concept and iconography. (Personal taste as well.)
    Last edited by SavageJudgeDredd; 06-15-2023 at 10:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Wayne View Post
    Honestly it would've been more surprising if the new comic wasn't inspired by G1 to a certain extent.

Astonishing Member

The problem is going all in for the cartoon isn't bearing the dividends like it use to (like with Dreamwave). IDW had the All Hail Megatron series which was going for the cartoon audience and iirc the sales were just flat and people weren't fans of it. You have to bring something new to the table beside cartoon homages like what Kirkman is doing now with the first issue of Void Rivals.
    Last edited by Bruce Wayne; 06-15-2023 at 05:39 PM.