Page 6 of 32 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Thread: Transformers

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Craig View Post
    Speaking of Dreamwave it would be nice if IDW could reprint those and/or the Devils Due runs in nice OHC.
    At one point I wished they would do the Marvel run like they started with GI Joe. Then they stopped at vol.9
    The Dreamwave stuff is pretty bad and/or forgettable and Pat Lee also pissed off a lot of the artists that worked for IDW by not paying them to keep his sport car.
    The artist on the Devil's Due crossover revealed he's a racist so no thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by andersonh1 View Post
    As far as the previous IDW continuity goes, my enthusiasm for it came and went. It's got some good points and some low points. The worst thing they published was probably that Bumblebee mini-series that ran alongside the Costa ongoing series. Last Stand of the Wreckers was probably the best.

- Furman's era: I still genuinely enjoy these stories, and how the various Spotlight issues fit into the main story he was telling in Infiltration/Escalation/Devastation. He created a new continuity from scratch that was still recognizable as G1, but did a number of different things from previous versions. I hated to see all of this cut short and ended more quickly than planned.

- All Hail Megatron: This got a lot of flak from the readers, but I'll admit to enjoying it, probably because I wasn't reading at first and had to catch up via the collected editions, so the slow pacing wasn't a problem. People complain about the pacing of the current series, but we heard the same complaints with Infiltration and the same complaints with AHM, so it's nothing new.

- The Ongoing Costa-written series: better than I remembered it being, though I have some problems with how both sides seem to just fall apart and stagnate. It doesn't ring true. The Autobot/Decepticon war ends with a whimper during this series, which ramps up at the end leading to the "phase 2" of IDW's previous continuity.

- Robots in Disguise: life on post-war Cybertron. Pretty good for a long time, though my interest dwindled and I stopped reading about the time Optimus annexed Earth. It felt like a very talky book in the end, going over old ground and struggling to come up with conflicts in the post-war landscape, though Combiner Wars was enjoyable.

- More than Meets the Eye: I thought it was the best Transformers series ever... at first. The emphasis on banter over plot and action got old and the never ending dreariness of Cybertron's past burned me out on this series not long after Dark Cybertron. Autobot Megatron was the last straw.

- speaking of Dark Cybertron, when their crossover boils down to "Shockwave tries to kill the universe with magic rocks to power Cybertron forever", someone needed to rethink the plot. I'm not a fan of this storyline.

I never read much of later MTMTE or any of Lost Light or the Optimus Prime series. At some point I may well reevaluate it all, but at this point Furman's stories are my favorite, probably followed by early Phase 2. I like the current reboot better than all of it. I'm enjoying Ruckley's series more than anything Transformers since Dreamwave.
    I enjoyed Furman's "-ation" series quite a bit when I read through it in the IDW collections a while back, I'd like to see some future media maybe streamline it a bit and do something with the more "Cold War"/espionage take on the war one day.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Craig View Post
    Speaking of Dreamwave it would be nice if IDW could reprint those and/or the Devils Due runs in nice OHC.
    They've reprinted some of it. I remember seeing the two complete "War Within" mini-series in a collected volume and the Dreamwave Armada series as well. I don't know if they reprinted Energon or the G1 mini-series and ongoing. Part of the problem was that they didn't have access to the original art, so they had to go with scans which cut down on the quality.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by K7P5V View Post
    Did you know the TF-G1 toy version of Jetfire was a redeco of the Macross VF-1S Super Valkyrie
    https://tfwiki.net/wiki/Jetfire_(G1)

I was baffled when I saw this TF-G1 toy version appear in a commerical...

..and even more so that his primary adversary was to be Shockwave!

BANNED

Transformers G1 Marvel Comics writer Bob Budiansky discusses some of the character name
    changes between the Transformers cartoon series and the Transformers comic book such as
    Spike vs Buster, and Jetfire vs Skyfire, and reveals which name he had originally written.

BANNED

G1 Retro Reviews - More Than Meets The Eye

Quote Originally Posted by 616MarvelYear is LeapYear View Post
    I was baffled when I saw this TF-G1 toy version appear in a commerical...

..and even more so that his primary adversary was to be Shockwave!
    Yes, and it was Harmony Gold's lawyers that got him redesigned and renamed in the cartoon and comic. HG would do this for years until they finally tried to sue Hasbro over a limited edition convention exclusive of a NON-TRANSFORMING repaint and redeco of a G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero jet and made such demands that the case was thrown out and Hasbro won and now they do new Jetfire that homage the original by having Jetfire wear armor. HG is a basically a copyright/patent troll and have screwed over a lot of different companies over the years.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Gaastra View Post
    Great scott!

https://www.facebook.com/BTTF/?comme...Mzc%3D&__cft__[0]=AZU_dv-oPbSzdGKIy7xlSaVMMOtNyMCOPYUh2quIf5lPyvQzgtq_ZRmGH FVHZ-MAT3h3WOxUqBAIaVPL74Uun0b9UpcQKsKZrdEoLlOeH4BbreIt cJAhFyvLHg30IagZcC2erhlqkqmvocUSMpVCfbMvJ5FV3fXD_C gm9f3kC2qSlQ&__tn__=R]-R

The DeLorean a transformer named Gigawatt? Awesome!

BANNED

The history of the arrogant Autobot space shuttle, SKY LYNX!

BANNED

TRANSFORMERS: THE MOVIE, early trailer [Ai upscale]

BANNED

Transformers Generation One voice actor Michael Bell brought to life
    many Transformers characters in the original Transformers series including
    Prowl, Sideswipe, Swoop, Bombshell, First Aid, Gort, and Brainstorm.

During TFcon Toronto 2007, he discusses his reaction to Prowl's death in
    Transformers: The Movie, as well as Duke's apparent death in G.I. Joe: The Movie.

Started reading the IDW collection with the first book, Megatron on the cover. I finished the first story and I gotta say, it was fairly hard to understand what was going on a good bit of the time. It was hard at times to tell who was who and in some panels it was just too busy. I read some reviews and a few people had the same issue, and I’m wondering, does it get cleaner as the collection goes on?

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sparko View Post
    Started reading the IDW collection with the first book, Megatron on the cover. I finished the first story and I gotta say, it was fairly hard to understand what was going on a good bit of the time. It was hard at times to tell who was who and in some panels it was just too busy. I read some reviews and a few people had the same issue, and I’m wondering, does it get cleaner as the collection goes on?
    I am currently reading vol. 3 and I am hooked again. The Megatron origins story was a chore to read through because the coloring made it hard to see what is really going on. It gets better after that.

The TF universe is bigger than Game of Thrones, with all the characters and storylines, but that is the fun in that. I am making notes for every character, so that I don't forget anything when taking a break. Its fun to read it like that and understand all the things that are going on.

BANNED

G1 Retro Reviews - Transport to Oblivion