Page 3 of 32 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Transformers

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    So is the Beast Wars comic not happening?
    There hasn't been any mention of any TF comics (barring the crossovers) happening after the cancellation of the current ongoing. Maybe IDW will reveal something at the virtual comic con

Mighty Member

Did I miss Transformers 84 0 oneshot

Quote Originally Posted by fin5 View Post
    Yeah, that was released last year, but I think it is supposed to be getting another printing or something before/around the time Secrets and Lies come out

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by fin5 View Post
    The Transformers '84 #0 is by Furman and Guido and it's basically a prequel to the original Marvel US and UK series and explains who was the Man of Iron in the UK story of the same name. It gets some use of Punch/Counterpunch, Cloudraker, Fastlane, Wingspan, Pounce, (the Autobot and Decepticon Clones respectfully), Flywheels, and makes Optimus Prime into a real bastard.

IMHO #0 feels more like a back-up story from an annual than a $5.00 US book and it's a very quick read. Also what is the point of this book? If this is a start of a new "prequel" book to the original US with stronger connections to the UK series than Regeneration One had because the "All-New, All-Different IDW G1 Universe" isn't setting the world of comics on fire and if you have to get Furman and company to do a continuation to the Marvel US (which didn't need one to begin with as rushed as the various storylines were in #76-80 they didn't feel that rushed to me and came to satisfactory conclusion in #80 well for me at least) and the UK series, for a bunch of side stories, and/or a prequel then you're pandering to old school TF Marvel comic fans, who will support it but I doubt the fanbase for that will last any longer than Regeneration One did and you end up wasting time and resources on projects that could be better used to make the "All-New, All-Different IDW G1 Universe" better. This book offers nothing better for a 35+ year old series, that is largely out of print, nothing but a series of confusing retcons and more convoluted nonsense to an already convoluted and confusing universe that is 35+ years old series and that IDW can't keep around on a regular basis like G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero or finish collecting TPB series because AFAIK Transformers UK Classics is still incomplete and IDW has never reprinted G2 series.

It's also IMHO probably one of the worst written and one the most cynical cash grab stories in the entire history of Transformers comics from all publishers around the world and that is saying something.

^The above was a post I made about TF'84 #0 before the mini-series was announced at a TF message board some time ago I made some slight edits to update it and clarify somethings in it, and before you ask: I still stand by what said about Transformers '84 #0 there and here.
    Last edited by Cyberstrike; 07-10-2020 at 12:26 PM.

Incredible Member

I have been reading the current Transformers IDW books. And I just don't seem to see them anywhere near as exciting as the old continuity was.

It feels more of a chore to me to read through this current series than anything. It's on the brink of being removed from its pull box slot by me. I'm just not feeling it.

I've only read Phase 1 of the IDW Transformers, but I loved it! I think it will be a long time before I get Phase 2 though
    “We have a saying, my people. Don’t kill if you can wound, don’t wound if you can subdue, don’t subdue if you can pacify, and don’t raise your hand at all until you’ve first extended it.”

Quote Originally Posted by Enigma View Post
    I've only read Phase 1 of the IDW Transformers, but I loved it! I think it will be a long time before I get Phase 2 though
    Phase 2 is much better than phase 1. You also don't need to read Phase 1 to understand Phase 2.

Phase 2 is clearly some of the best (if not the best) TF stories ever made - especially More Than Meets The Eye / Lost Light.

I'm still bewildered why that continuity was shelved for the current run, which seems to not include the humour or character of that run.
    "Let me guess. My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie!"
    @Matt_of_Geek
    Now writing at The Atomic Junk Shop

CBR Community Standards and Rules

Quote Originally Posted by Toxin45 View Post
    Like we have galaxy spinoff spin off along with the upcoming movies and war for cybertron
    Transformers Galaxies has actually been a lot better than the core title. The stories, because of the single issue/low part number format, have been much quicker to the punch and included better artwork.
    "Let me guess. My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie!"
    @Matt_of_Geek
    Now writing at The Atomic Junk Shop

CBR Community Standards and Rules

Cavan Scott and Juan Samu are going to be the writers on the Transformers/Back to the Future crossover.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    Phase 2 is clearly some of the best (if not the best) TF stories ever made - especially More Than Meets The Eye / Lost Light.

I'm still bewildered why that continuity was shelved for the current run, which seems to not include the humour or character of that run.
    It was because they smashed Rom, The Micronauts, G.I. Joe, Action Man, M.A.S.K., and The Visionaries into that universe that didn't need them. IMHO what IDW should have done with Hasbro's other properties is created a separate line aimed for younger and fans of the those properties and set it up as "a back-to-basics" line with the villains being evil and heroes being heroic and being in a shared universe from the start.

While having the Hasbro Universe they also could have The Transformers: Lost Light, The Transformers: Till All Are One, and The Transformers as a separate stand-alone universe aimed at older readers and the same with Larry Hama's G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero series.

That would've IMHO have been better than trying to piggy back off the success of the original Transformers Universe which any idiot with a half workng brain cell could've told you that wasn't going to work. When it failed because fans didn't care for the Joes, Action Man, M.A.S.K., Rom, The Micronauts, and The Visionaries being shoe-horned into the Transformers Universe that sales tanked and those series also tanked so they had Unicron eat that universe and rebooted it.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyberstrike View Post
    It was because they smashed Rom, The Micronauts, G.I. Joe, Action Man, M.A.S.K., and The Visionaries into that universe that didn't need them. IMHO what IDW should have done with Hasbro's other properties is created a separate line aimed for younger and fans of the those properties and set it up as "a back-to-basics" line with the villains being evil and heroes being heroic and being in a shared universe from the start.

While having the Hasbro Universe they also could have The Transformers: Lost Light, The Transformers: Till All Are One, and The Transformers as a separate stand-alone universe aimed at older readers and the same with Larry Hama's G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero series.

That would've IMHO have been better than trying to piggy back off the success of the original Transformers Universe which any idiot with a half workng brain cell could've told you that wasn't going to work. When it failed because fans didn't care for the Joes, Action Man, M.A.S.K., Rom, The Micronauts, and The Visionaries being shoe-horned into the Transformers Universe that sales tanked and those series also tanked so they had Unicron eat that universe and rebooted it.
    Yeah, I kind of got lost when IDW started to try and make this big shared universe of Hasbro properties so quickly even when all the comics other than TF failed.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyberstrike View Post

Yeah, the whole shared universe was a disaster. As one TF fan put it, if Hasbro wanted these toys to work together, they should have done it back in the 80's (though Hasbro did try a toy that was a G.I Joe and a Transformer toy in the early 90's but that got scrapped..

Mighty Member

Well the current ongoing is ending with issue #25, and no mention of what will becoming next
    This sucks. The current series was mostly worth reading. No, it was mot written and paced like something from the 80s, because the 80s are over.

Ruckley did a solid job of depictira political collapse, which was to make me forgive the deficiencies in the art.
    Current pull-file: Batman the Detective, Batman: Legends of the Dark Knight, Marvel Dark Ages, Nightwing, Superman Son of Kal-El, Transformers, Transformers: King Grimlock, Warhammer 40,000 Sisters of Battle
    -----------------------------
    - http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/

According to the October solicitations, Galaxies is also ending