Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast

Default If Captain America was a mutant would things be different for mutants?

Let's say Marvel wrote a story where Captain America is outed as a mutant.

Would this change the world's view of mutants?
    Some of us wait, some of us act.

Quote Originally Posted by LordAllMIghty View Post

No people don't stop being racist, and they don't change, they just get better at hiding who they really are, so they'd either put on a front, or they would denounce him just like they did Carol when she was outed as a Kree.

Things would be worse for Steve. I don't think it changed the opinion of the mutants at all.

The X-Men have saved the world hundreds of times and were still suffering from quarterly genocides. The approach "if we have a mutant hero they will start to value us" is clearly not working. You shouldn't need exceptional individuals to respect the right of different people to exist.

hm. hard to say. my first impulse is to say that things would be different for Captain America, maybe not mutants...

I guess its like with all things: people who sympathized w/ mutants could say " see, our beloved protector was mutant all along !" and the hateful zealots could say a filthy cutie doesn't deserve to emblematize their country. people on the fence would fall accordingly

were this to happen in the current 616 w/ the media frenzy surrounding Krakoa I can see many a news outlet leaping for a chance to break his thoughts on a mutant nation...I'd wanna hear them myself. Would he empathize with their plight , having been allowed to watch their suffering from the sidelines , or would his privilege of having evaded hateful violence prevent him from "getting it" ? His answer would probably have a big impact on public perception of mutants, but that still hinges on public perception of him which im still mulling over....Siding with mutants likely = brazen hypocrite status

great question

Quote Originally Posted by Journey View Post
    No people don't stop being racist, and they don't change, they just get better at hiding who they really are, so they'd either put on a front, or they would denounce him just like they did Carol when she was outed as a Kree.
    Quote Originally Posted by Glio View Post
    Things would be worse for Steve. I don't think it changed the opinion of the mutants at all.

The X-Men have saved the world hundreds of times and were still suffering from quarterly genocides. The approach "if we have a mutant hero they will start to value us" is clearly not working. You shouldn't need exceptional individuals to respect the right of different people to exist.
    I think I have to follow my initial impulse and side with the cynics tbh. these are great points. We've seen, in fiction and our real lives, that people dont react kindly to being "lied to", despite this rage and hatred being the reason for the secrecy in the first place .... insert beleaguered sigh
    Last edited by houndsofluv; 06-08-2020 at 02:12 PM.

If Captain America were a mutant, could he be 'Captain America'?
    “Strength is the lot of but a few privileged men; but austere perseverance, harsh and continuous, may be employed by the smallest of us and rarely fails of its purpose, for its silent power grows irresistibly greater with time.” Goethe

Quote Originally Posted by Zelena View Post
    If Captain America were a mutant, could he be 'Captain America'?
    Why not? Captain Britain is a mutant right now.

Actually I really want them to do a story where Steve investigates the Weapon program further and finds out that they used his DNA and Emma's DNA to make the cuckoos! I want him to have a connection to mutants that shocks him to his core and makes him try to form a connection to mutants that he didn't have before! It would be interesting for Steve to approach the X-Men and Emma about being able to meet and talk to Sophie, Esme, Irma, Phoebe, and Celeste!

Say one or two of the girls gets captured by Orchis and Steve finds out and he just goes ballistic to get his daughters back! I would love to see Steve partnering up with Emma and Logan to take out an Orchis base and get the girls out!
    We are MUTANT..Krakoa, FOREVER!!! “Liberté, Égalité, Fraternité”

He would be "one of the good ones" along with Alex Summers and they would go on tours to promote their mega successful self help books that teaches mutants that mutant bigotry is over, Sentinels just want a huzg, and not to be ungrateful for the lovely camps they're being herded in
    GrindrStone(D)

Quote Originally Posted by BroHomo View Post
    He would be "one of the good ones" along with Alex Summers and they would go on tours to promote their mega successful self help books that teaches mutants that mutant bigotry is over, Sentinels just want a huzg, and not to be ungrateful for the lovely camps they're being herded in
    I see what you did there. Nice
    Last edited by LordAllMIghty; 06-08-2020 at 03:06 PM.
    Some of us wait, some of us act.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

What about Franklin Richards? First son of the First Family of Marvel Comics. Has he been publicly acknowledged as a mutant, and if he was, would that move the needle for humankind to start rethinking its animosity toward mutants?
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    What about Franklin Richards? First son of the First Family of Marvel Comics. Has he been publicly acknowledged as a mutant, and if he was, would that move the needle for humankind to start rethinking its animosity toward mutants?
    Maybe if he was still a blonde :/
    GrindrStone(D)

Quote Originally Posted by LordAllMIghty View Post

Yeah.
    The world would see not all mutants are intent on creating or being brainwashed into joining, a cult, and barricading themselves on an island, where they grow and sell drugs to the very ppl they claim to be better than and not need.

Quote Originally Posted by Riv86672 View Post
    Yeah.
    The world would see not all mutants are intent on creating or being brainwashed into joining, a cult, and barricading themselves on an island, where they grow and sell drugs to the very ppl they claim to be better than and not need.
    But its not as if Steve is gonna have any sway in the M-Word community. Hmmm Yes, But Readers (and Steve) will realize he slept with the Pretender who almost Genocided his people. Kiiiiinda puts things in perspective.
    He'll probably just get her to say "Back to Human" annnnnd continue living his best life.
    GrindrStone(D)

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Riv86672 View Post
    Yeah.
    They wouldn't have barricaded themselves on a living island if humankind as a whole hadn't responded to their existence with years, if not decades, of genocide attempts --- the last one being an effort to stomp out the X-gene before its manifestation through a mandatory vaccine, basically a form of medical genocide, and that was alongside openly killing mutants in the streets once the X-Men were presumed dead and gone. Yeah, you can dislike the direction mutants have gone in, there's a lot I'd disagree with myself, but don't overlook that they were pushed there by humankind's bigotry and animosity refusing to abate no matter how many times the X-Men risked and gave of themselves to protect humans as well as mutants.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    He's an insufferable little **** who's god complex would undoubtedly cause religious unrest so that wouldn't do them any good either.