Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 6789101112 LastLast

Boo! If I was more inclined I would use the editing tools to make it super large font 172 or whatever.

BIG BIG BOO on this.

I just think it is a mistake to make someone else Batwoman, in the show.
    ~ Oberon ~
    Comic-book reading Witch and Pagan since 1970
    I came for Kate, I stayed for Bette Love Fantastic Four, Namor, Batwoman, Dr.Strange.... i love them all

Quote Originally Posted by Oberon View Post
    Boo! If I was more inclined I would use the editing tools to make it super large font 172 or whatever.

BIG BIG BOO on this.

I just think it is a mistake to make someone else Batwoman, in the show.
    Ryan Reynolds starred in a pretty terrible movie back in the early 2000s called "Van Wilder". The name "Ryan Wilder" seems like the sort of blunder-by-committee that you would expect from network TV.

- - that has the sound of Evil Reality about it!
    ~ Oberon ~
    Comic-book reading Witch and Pagan since 1970
    I came for Kate, I stayed for Bette Love Fantastic Four, Namor, Batwoman, Dr.Strange.... i love them all

Incredible Member

I think Ryan's trans but that's just a head canon
    "Everything doesn't have to be about fear. There's room in our line of work for hope, too"- Stephanie Brown, Batgirl Vol 3 #5

"Quit? Like hell I will"- Bette Kane, Beast Boy #3

Quote Originally Posted by Tsukiakari1203 View Post
    I think Ryan's trans but that's just a head canon
    I feel like they would have advertised that if it were true (and Javicia Leslie isn't trans as far as I know).

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I feel like they would have advertised that if it were true (and Javicia Leslie isn't trans as far as I know).
    Yeah that would've been a huge selling point if true.
    Reading List (Super behind but reading them nonetheless):
    DC: Currently figuring that out
    Marvel: Read above
    Image: Killadelphia, Nightmare Blog
    Other: The Antagonist, Something is Killing the Children, Avatar: TLAB
    Manga: My Hero Academia, MHA: Vigilanties, Soul Eater: the Perfect Edition, Berserk, Hunter X Hunter, Witch Hat Atelier, Kaiju No. 8

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by 9th. View Post
    Yeah that would've been a huge selling point if true.
    I said it was a head canon!
    "Everything doesn't have to be about fear. There's room in our line of work for hope, too"- Stephanie Brown, Batgirl Vol 3 #5

"Quit? Like hell I will"- Bette Kane, Beast Boy #3

Quote Originally Posted by cgh View Post
    Ryan Reynolds starred in a pretty terrible movie back in the early 2000s called "Van Wilder".
    True, but the way the character is described as literally being more "wild" than Kate makes me think that's the reason for the last name. She's supposed to be undisciplined to contrast to Kate's military discipline, hence "wilder".
    The Ryan part I just interpret as meaning 'random-replacement', because Ryan sounds a bit like random, but I'm probably stretching plausibility a bit there. Random because she's an OC and not a pre-existing comics character, like a lot of people wanted Tiffany Fox for example. So you get random wilder replacement (the "wilder" than Kate part being implied).
    Last edited by Bat-Meal; 10-27-2020 at 02:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Definitely. It was a big selling point for Dreamer in Supergirl.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Bat-Meal View Post
    True, but the way the character is described as literally being more "wild" than Kate makes me think that's the reason for the last name. She's supposed to be undisciplined to contrast to Kate's military discipline, hence "wilder".
    The Ryan part I just interpret as meaning 'random-replacement', because Ryan sounds a bit like random, but I'm probably stretching plausibility a bit there. Random because she's an OC and not a pre-existing comics character, like a lot of people wanted Tiffany Fox for example. So you get random wilder replacement (the "wilder" than Kate part being implied).
    To be clear, I wasn't suggesting that's why they called her that. It was a joke. To me, the name smells like a generic decision-by-committee, run-it-by-the-focus-group kind of thing. Or it could be that I'm just annoyed at the replacement as without the Kate Kane character, the show holds zero interest for me.

That said, your theory is certainly as good as any.

Turns out what we saw in the preview was Ryan's entire appearance in the Batgirl comic.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by cgh View Post
    It was a joke. To me, the name smells like a generic decision-by-committee, run-it-by-the-focus-group kind of thing. Or it could be that I'm just annoyed at the replacement as without the Kate Kane character, the show holds zero interest for me.
    • Replacement-Batwoman still has Kate's family as major characters (Jacob and Mary). Bonus points, Kate's ex Sophie is still there.
    • She'll be using Kate's specific villains such as Safiya (in addition to already getting Alice).
    • Her new suit (recently revealed) is still black and red, but a different fabric and different wig (and the gauntlets are more comics accurate to comics-Kate).
    • They are using the title card font from the Rebirth comics (more comics-Kate-accurate).
    • For some reason she has a Batmobile.
    • According to interviews, she will unite the Kane family, and teach Sophie to find her confidence.

Make of that what you will.

Kate Kane's name we know, Kane for Batman's creator. Katherine because of the alliteration. DC did another version of the Katherine Kane name with Cassandra Cain, which was a bad move IMHO because so many people keep getting Kate as Cass mixed-up (should have gone with a different name). Kathy Kane, then Kate Kane as the rebooted character.

DC did another version of the Katherine Kane name with Cassandra Cain, which was a bad move IMHO because so many people keep getting Kate as Cass mixed-up (should have gone with a different name). Kathy Kane, then Kate Kane as the rebooted character.
    I did not know people got them confused. To be fair, though, when Cass was created there was no Kate Kane and Kathy Kane hadn't existed for over a decade and hadn't even been seen for 20 years. So it would really be Kate who needed a different name (though that wouldn't have hearkened back to the original-flavor Batwoman, but that honestly might have been a good thing in retrospect).

Quote Originally Posted by Bat-Meal View Post
    [*]They are using the title card font from the Rebirth comics (more comics-Kate-accurate).
    That Batwoman logo is from years before Rebirth.

Quote Originally Posted by Tzigone View Post
    I did not know people got them confused. To be fair, though, when Cass was created there was no Kate Kane and Kathy Kane hadn't existed for over a decade and hadn't even been seen for 20 years. So it would really be Kate who needed a different name (though that wouldn't have hearkened back to the original-flavor Batwoman, but that honestly might have been a good thing in retrospect).
    During Tynion's Gotham Knights run in 'Tec, a lot people kept getting the two mixed-up, I wasn't the only one on these forums annoyed by how much a lot of people couldn't tell which was which.

To reboot to a modern version of Katherine Kane, they couldn't not call her Katherine Kane, or you know, she wouldn't be Katherine Kane.

With Cass there was no need to use a name that was so similar phonetically. But whatever, what's done is done.