Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Default Is Pietro and Wanda not being Mutants Common Knowledge?

I got this idea from the if Captain America was outed as a mutant thread so I'm wondering is it common knowledge to the average marvel civilian especially the anti-mutant crowd that the Maximoffs Twins are not mutants anymore. Would the Mutant-hating bigots still hate them? or will they be like "turns out you are a mutant, so you are all right" I know the twins experience the anti-mutant bigotry even when they are were Avengers. what you think? i dont think the twins would tell the crowd that "oh hey, we have evidence we are not mutants or related to Magneto, so please you don't have to hate us anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Rzerox21xx View Post
    I got this idea from the if Captain America was outed as a mutant thread so I'm wondering is it common knowledge to the average marvel civilian especially the anti-mutant crowd that the Maximoffs Twins are not mutants anymore. Would the Mutant-hating bigots still hate them? or will they be like "turns out you are a mutant, so you are all right" I know the twins experience the anti-mutant bigotry even when they are were Avengers. what you think? i dont think the twins would tell the crowd that "oh hey, we have evidence we are not mutants or related to Magneto, so please you don't have to hate us anymore.
    Probably not common knowledge to the everyday human. Unless Krakoa/Mutants are going around and spreading negative propaganda about the "pretenders" which I honestly wouldn't put past Exodus, Emma, Mystique Ect.

I remember having a conversation about if the average citizen even knows that Wanda and Pietro as mutants.

You would think the children or former children of Magneto would be targetted by hate groups.
    Some of us wait, some of us act.

this will be reconected or un retconeted as soon the xmen get to mcu

BANNED

Writers decide what the average civilian of the Marvel Universe remembers. If not, if there's no story, then effectively it didn't happen.

As far as average mutant civilians go in Hickman's run, they remember her as the pretender Scarlet Witch.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkMagnus View Post
    this will be reconected or un retconeted as soon the xmen get to mcu
    I don't think so. I think Pietro and Wanda will never be connected to Magneto again. The fact is them being made Magneto's kids was itself a retcon introduced in the 80s. It was never intended originally by either Lee or Kirby. Wanda's best stories are tied to the Avengers and not with the X-Men. It'll take more work than it's worth to redo a family connection...and in the movies it will be even more confusing for audiences.

You can make Polaris Magneto's daughter and go with that.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by LordAllMIghty View Post
    I remember having a conversation about if the average citizen even knows that Wanda and Pietro as mutants.

You would think the children or former children of Magneto would be targetted by hate groups.
    They have in the past.

They do. The Avengers have had a few moments of anti-mutant protest over the years because of the two of them and Quicksilver was part of X-Factor which was a VERY public mutant team. There were press conferences and TV appearances and everything.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan2099 View Post
    They do. The Avengers have had a few moments of anti-mutant protest over the years because of the two of them and Quicksilver was part of X-Factor which was a VERY public mutant team. There were press conferences and TV appearances and everything.
    I think Wanda and Vision even had their house burned down or protested against because Wanda was a known Mutant.
    Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    I don't think so. I think Pietro and Wanda will never be connected to Magneto again. The fact is them being made Magneto's kids was itself a retcon introduced in the 80s. It was never intended originally by either Lee or Kirby. Wanda's best stories are tied to the Avengers and not with the X-Men. It'll take more work than it's worth to redo a family connection...and in the movies it will be even more confusing for audiences.

If we ever get another X-Men cartoon, I'm still expecting them to be depicted as Magneto's kids because that's what they've always been in the X-Men cartoons and they didn't even bother to use Wanda in the last Avengers cartoon for a variety of reasons.

Didn't Ultimate Alliance 3 regard Scarlet Witch as a Mutant? I forget.

Incredible Member teapartyofthedead's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LordAllMIghty View Post

Much of Quicksilver’s 90s arc was being pursued by Fabian Cortez and the Acolytes, because as the Son of M, they believed Pietro had not only an ethical obligation, but a divine duty to lead them in a crusade against all flatscans. Except Cortez himself, who just wanted a token figurehead to legitimize his power base, the same way he did on Avalon with Magneto. When he would refuse, Cortez would try to emotionally blackmail him by stating that by not taking command, whatever the Acolytes does is on his hands. It came to a head with the Bloodties arc, which saw the X-Men and the Avengers team up with Quicksilver and Crystal to rescue Luna from Cortez and Exodus, who saw Luna as being impure because she was human.

cortez.jpg

Sometimes I wonder what would have happened if Pietro had just disposed of Cortez and tried to reform the Acolytes to do actual good for mutantkind instead of just attacking hospices. Those like Amelia Voght, Frenzy, and Scanner were nothing like the psychopathic Kleinstock Brothers.

But actually being pursued by anti-mutant hate groups himself? Besides being chased by Sentinels when they first went on-line, he has also been targeted by the Red Skull at their few encounters for being a mutant/non-human and being Magneto's son.

quicks red skull.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    If we ever get another X-Men cartoon, I'm still expecting them to be depicted as Magneto's kids because that's what they've always been in the X-Men cartoons and they didn't even bother to use Wanda in the last Avengers cartoon for a variety of reasons.

I think a lot will depend on what happens in WandaVision and Doctor Strange. The latest rumors in regard to Evan Peters joining the cast of WandaVision, potentially as an AU Quicksilver, point to a strong desire to see the family restored, if nothing else. It helps that the retcon has been universally panned, and outright ignored by most.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Didn't Ultimate Alliance 3 regard Scarlet Witch as a Mutant? I forget.
    Yes, she's a mutant in UA3 and working with the X-Men. In most games, Wanda is still being considered a daughter of Magneto, if not always a mutant (I'm thinking Marvel Future Fight here).

magdad.jpg
    Last edited by teapartyofthedead; 06-08-2020 at 11:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post

I hope so. John Byrne never even intended it to be addressed after that, let alone to have the characters learn the truth. It was supposed to be something that only readers would know. And Claremont I don't think ever acknowledged Wanda and Pietro as Magneto's children, especially since he created three new children for him (Anya, Lorna, and Zala). Magneto being the twins' father was a retcon of a retcon and by the time Magneto joins the MCU, Wanda may not be there anymore and same with Pietro even if he is brought back to life. Better to leave Lorna as his sole living child.

I really hope Marvel bring Wanda and Pietro back as Magnetos children.
    I've grown up with them as his children.
    The retcon in Uncanny Avengers Vol 2 was only brought in because Fox had the movie rights to the X-Men and Marvel tried and failed to replace the X-Men with the Inhumans.
    I am a Marvel fan preferably cosmic storylines, especially Thanos or Dark Phoenix related, when both the Avengers and the X-Men are involved count me in, loved the original Uncanny Avengers series.
    Not a fan of any of the new characters.
    (Marvel/DC fan for 44+ years)

Even Lorna is a weird retcon since her original appearance seemed completely unconnected.

They work better as his kids and I'm expecting Marvel to re-re-retcon them as such when they start making X-Men MCU movies. It already fits nicely into Hickman's work with the idea that Moira purposely set out to make sure she, Xavier, [and Magneto] would produce reality warping children: Proteus, Legion, Scarlet Witch.

BANNED

I mean its not an important conection besides some fluff and fancanon, nothing lost and the twins have stories stating they are happier now that conection was removed, and wanda's mutant ability wasnt reality warping, what she acomplished she did so with external power derived from her sorcery

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by PhoenixThanos View Post
    I really hope Marvel bring Wanda and Pietro back as Magnetos children.
    I've grown up with them as his children.

The retcon in Uncanny Avengers Vol 2 was only brought in because Fox had the movie rights to the X-Men and Marvel tried and failed to replace the X-Men with the Inhumans.
    I get that the twins not being Magneto's kids anymore was a fairly transparent corporate stunt between Disney/Marvel and Fox, and I can see why people attach symbolic value to it but the fact is that the entire issue is over, the Inhumans are off-the-shelf and the X-Men are brought back in a big way. Trying to act out grudges now is not being "generous in victory". Having Wanda be made Magneto's daughter again just to right wrongs without asking for the story value that would bring is not worth it. In the comics, Wanda no-longer-being-a-mutant had a positive effect in that now the second great genocide against the mutants (M-Day or Decimation) is no longer the action of mutant-on-mutant crime. Hickman was able to use that and run with it in HoX/PoX and sure there will be a payoff and resolution to that eventually (i.e. a form of catharsis which allows mutants to get a measure of justice and Scarlet Witch to be restored or cleansed so she can be a hero) but in the short-term that helps his story.

Just because the idea originated as a naked corporate shenanigan doesn't mean that it should be discounted altogether. Among all the stunts that Marvel pulled to kneecap the X-men in favor of the Avengers and the Inhumans, I don't think this was the most egregious or the worst thing. In some senses it was the most visible because we got to see it play on screen with the two different Quicksilvers of the Fox movies and the Avengers movies but that's water-under-the-bridge now.

And ultimately the fact is that the best stories with Scarlet Witch (her romance with Vision, being part of Cap's Kooky Kwartet, the original story with her children disappearing and so on, her romance with Simon Williams, Tom King's VISION series) are all tied to the Avengers and not to the X-Men side of things. With Pietro...honestly I don't know if there are many great stories with him, but he married an Inhuman (Crystal) and has a daughter with her so there's that. Fact is there isn't a lot of intellectual and artistic real estate to tie Wanda and Pietro the X-Men corner. There's no really great stories or big moments for her as a character or for Magneto as specifically the father of the twins.

I know a lot of people will bring up House of M, and honestly it's not a great story, it's a significant and important story but it's not great (in the same way CIVIL WAR and OMD are significant/important stories but not great, and indeed quite the opposite). And even then the trigger for Wanda's breakdown are Avengers stories in the late 70s where she had kids with Vision then had them disappear-from-existence only for her memories to be wiped away. At heart House of M is not an X-Men story (which is why the finale of that story "no more mutants" felt like quite a stretch to me because there's no emotional connection or grounding there) and you can make that story work without dealing with Magneto and mutantkind.