Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Results 46 to 60 of 92
  1. #46
    A Wearied Madness Vakanai's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    6,383

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gotham citizen View Post
    Oh my God! We are already reciting a requiem for a character who made her debut less than fortnight ago and until now she appeared in a panel and two story (one of them short). Maybe we should await six or seven issues, before to start to dig her grave; or don't we?
    Welcome to the comic book fandom - we deal in doom, gloom, pessimism, cynicism, nihilism, occasional misanthropy, and a generally bitter and jaded world view from which hope can never spring.

  2. #47
    Ultimate Member Ascended's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    15,542

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    Welcome to the comic book fandom - we deal in doom, gloom, pessimism, cynicism, nihilism, occasional misanthropy, and a generally bitter and jaded world view from which hope can never spring.
    All very true.

    But let's be honest; how many new characters actually last? Assuming Punchline will fail and not survive long is simply the safe, smart bet, because that's the fate of 99.9% of new characters. Even if the character is good (and I haven't read the issue/s so I can't really comment on the execution) that's not going to lend much protection or increase the odds of success.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

    ~ Black Panther.

  3. #48
    Moderator Frontier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    54,133

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    All very true.

    But let's be honest; how many new characters actually last? Assuming Punchline will fail and not survive long is simply the safe, smart bet, because that's the fate of 99.9% of new characters. Even if the character is good (and I haven't read the issue/s so I can't really comment on the execution) that's not going to lend much protection or increase the odds of success.
    Probably 1 out of 5 or 10.

  4. #49
    Astonishing Member sifighter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    4,974

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Midnight_v View Post
    I really want here to be a meta.
    Something about her appearance make me think she's always about to DO something supernatural. I'd love it if she was a powerhouse villainess that uses knives and was secretly an army killer or planet buster, hell I take a deadly nightshade set.
    I hate to think she's just another "juggalette" and that's weird to me but that's what they went with. It'll be a long road before she gets any development power wise like that. I do like her design though and I find her pretty realistic since... well since there are
    a plethora who are that way in real life.
    That would be interesting, especially since it would mean that the Batfamily would really have to plan against her abilities. I’m not sure what powers she would have though, maybe she can be like anime where she just summons a blade/knife out of no where.

    If not that I could see something as anarchist as fire, but then she’s just competing with firefly.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

  5. #50
    Ultimate Member Ascended's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    15,542

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Probably 1 out of 5 or 10.
    I'm not sure if it's even that many.

    Back in the 90's, yeah, 1 out of 10 sounds roughly right. We did get several characters in that decade who have (more or less) stuck around; Conner and Tim and Bart and Stargirl, etc. But since the dawn of the 00's? I don't think even 1 out of 10 have managed to last. 1 out of 20 maybe.

    I should clarify; I'm thinking of characters who have either carried books consistently, or had a role in team books consistently. I'm not counting someone like, say, Cass Cain, who hasn't managed to carry a book regularly since her creation and doesn't appear in other books consistently either. Cass is still around, and I'm glad she's been getting some attention ('Tec and now Outsiders) but her appearances are too infrequent for me to think she's "stuck." More like she *could* stick, but hasn't yet, and she goes long stretches of time without any meaningful appearances, or any appearances at all.
    Last edited by Ascended; 06-22-2020 at 03:21 PM.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

    ~ Black Panther.

  6. #51
    Astonishing Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Location
    Brooklyn, New York
    Posts
    2,130

    Default

    Based on today's issue, I think Punchline represents the Joker's fanbase. Everything she said, I've heard his fanboys say before.

  7. #52

    Default

    She's alright but her design is stronger than her character so far.

  8. #53
    A Wearied Madness Vakanai's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    6,383

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    All very true.
    Kind of sad, ain't it?

  9. #54
    Incredible Member Gotham citizen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2019
    Posts
    584

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    […]
    But let's be honest; how many new characters actually last? Assuming Punchline will fail and not survive long is simply the safe, smart bet, because that's the fate of 99.9% of new characters. Even if the character is good (and I haven't read the issue/s so I can't really comment on the execution) that's not going to lend much protection or increase the odds of success.
    Time ago I thought like you, but then I realized that when Harley became a hero/anti-hero, the role of Joker's girlfriend became vacant and because this role has became extremely iconic (like the one of Robin), there are very good chance that Joker and Punchline will become the Bonnie and Clyde of Gotham; if Tynion will play well his cards.

  10. #55
    Moderator Frontier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    54,133

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    I'm not sure if it's even that many.

    Back in the 90's, yeah, 1 out of 10 sounds roughly right. We did get several characters in that decade who have (more or less) stuck around; Conner and Tim and Bart and Stargirl, etc. But since the dawn of the 00's? I don't think even 1 out of 10 have managed to last. 1 out of 20 maybe.

    I should clarify; I'm thinking of characters who have either carried books consistently, or had a role in team books consistently. I'm not counting someone like, say, Cass Cain, who hasn't managed to carry a book regularly since her creation and doesn't appear in other books consistently either. Cass is still around, and I'm glad she's been getting some attention ('Tec and now Outsiders) but her appearances are too infrequent for me to think she's "stuck." More like she *could* stick, but hasn't yet, and she goes long stretches of time without any meaningful appearances, or any appearances at all.
    I guess it depends on our definition of "stick." Cass doesn't have the mass-media popularity of Babs as Batgirl but the fact that she was able to survive a reboot and an editorial that was against her and still be published prominently in an ongoing book (albeit not the extent of her old self) still feels like she stuck well enough to me.

  11. #56
    Astonishing Member sifighter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    4,974

    Default

    I think this is a thing DC just wants in general, a new secondary player who can work alongside the Joker. I say that because we have punchline but they also have Harley Sinn (from the Harley Quinn ongoing) over in the black label Birds of Prey mini, you know the one by the Harley Quinn ongoing writers and is sort of the recent Harley Quinn movie but in somewhat comic continuity.

    I guess it’s just a thing they want to do overall.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

  12. #57
    Always Rakzo
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Peru
    Posts
    4,045

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by king81992 View Post
    Based on today's issue, I think Punchline represents the Joker's fanbase. Everything she said, I've heard his fanboys say before.
    This is Tynion we're talking about, he represents that fanbase too. I doubt this is intentional.

    God, this week's Batman suuuuuucked.

  13. #58
    Mighty Member Jman27's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    1,083

    Default

    I like her so far although they made her look incompetent with Harley sure she slice her neck but why not just kill her then throw her body in the river plus her survival was spoil. I think the whole purpose of her character is to bring back the partnership between Joker and Harley but since Joker is literally Harley abuser and Harley isnt even a villian anymore I beleive they arent going to do that ever again. I just hope Punchline doesnt get betrayed anytime soon or is used as a punching bag as well.
    "He's pure power and doesn't even know it. He's the best of us."-Matt Murdock

    "I need a reason to take the mask off."-Peter Parker

  14. #59
    Moderator Frontier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    54,133

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by king81992 View Post
    Based on today's issue, I think Punchline represents the Joker's fanbase. Everything she said, I've heard his fanboys say before.
    I'm...not sure if this is a good thing.

    (I mean, Harley was a Joker fangirl, but it was kind of amusing how deluded she was about it).

  15. #60
    Ultimate Member Ascended's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    15,542

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gotham citizen View Post
    Time ago I thought like you, but then I realized that when Harley became a hero/anti-hero, the role of Joker's girlfriend became vacant and because this role has became extremely iconic (like the one of Robin), there are very good chance that Joker and Punchline will become the Bonnie and Clyde of Gotham; if Tynion will play well his cards.
    I'm sure DC wants the "Joker's girlfriend" niche filled, and you're right it's a role that's been carved out enough for DC to want someone in that position, but that doesn't mean Punchline is going to prove popular enough to hold it. She might, I'm not saying Punchline is awful and will never last six months; I haven't read the books to have an opinion on her. But if DC gets this "right" in one go, I'd be surprised and impressed.

    Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I guess it depends on our definition of "stick." Cass doesn't have the mass-media popularity of Babs as Batgirl but the fact that she was able to survive a reboot and an editorial that was against her and still be published prominently in an ongoing book (albeit not the extent of her old self) still feels like she stuck well enough to me.
    Eh, maybe Cass wasn't the best of examples, but my point still came across right?

    Regarding Cass......in the last ten-ish years, how much play has she gotten? Far as I know, she was missing for years after the New52 started, showed up in that weekly Batman title, then was limited to rare and occasional guest appearances until Tynion's 'Tec, then spent several more months (maybe a whole year?) waiting for Outsiders to hit. Am I missing any prominent roles or appearances? I feel like Cass hasn't "stuck" fully; she's stuck well enough so that she still gets published a little bit, but that's all. I guess that's kind of a win, but not what I would call successful. Shame too, Cass was one of the most interesting characters DC churned out in the 00's.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

    ~ Black Panther.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •