Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Default The fate of the DC Extended Universe

I'll come right out and say it: the bumpy ride that is the DC Extended (or Cinematic) Universe has been really depressing for me.

I remember when superhero movies really started taking off in a big way after the turn of the millennium. Our technological capabilities increased, introducing a whole new era of possibilities. Along with many others, I really loved the "new" era of movies based on Marvel Comics e.g. Iron Man, X-Men, Spider-Man, The Incredible Hulk, etc. They were witty, funny, action-packed, and overall quite convincing live-action portrayals of these Marvel heroes.

However, I've always been a DC fan first. I loved the Dark Knight trilogy for being a series of powerful, cinematic experiences, but it just wasn't quite right... because it didn't quite feel "in-universe", i.e. it was more akin to a one-shot.

As many of you probably were, I was thrilled to hear that DC would be getting a full-fledged cinematic universe years later. In my opinion, Man of Steel really delivered a promise of potential for a universe (though I can understand why many didn't feel like it lived up to more classic Superman fare).

When the universe actually kicked off, though, it was rough. I loved a lot about Batman v Superman, but it had a lot of flaws, flaws that have since left a sour taste in my mouth. Suicide Squad was a complete mess of a story, and Justice League was honestly hard to watch. I did love Wonder Woman, but it was an outlier for me.

DC Films has continually made a lot of changes, especially with their executive leadership, and I think these have been positive. Shazam was an absolutely terrific film, but I really could not stand Aquaman, mostly because I thought the dialogue was very poor and the acting felt forced (I felt like the characters were talking at each other). I'm excited for WW 1984 but this universe has had enough duds for me that I'm still bummed AF. Ezra Miller does not really seem like a great fit for The Flash. Will Smith seemed like he put on one of the stronger performances in Suicide Squad, and he's gone. I actually thought Batfleck did a good job, and he's gone too.

I realize that these are all my opinions, and it's likely many of you may react very differently to what I think about the individual films, actors, etc., but I can't shake the feeling that it's extremely disappointing how rough of a start DC got off to compared to Marvel. Maybe it's all the craziness going on in the world right now, but I almost feel like it would be better for DC to start over with a stronger vision. I know the emphasis at first was to quickly integrate all the heroes so they could answer to the Avengers and this turned out to be a mistake, but I also feel like some of the magic is lost when you just churn out solo films without a strong vision to align them.

These are just movies, and I shouldn't be this invested in how much they live up to the comics I love... but I unfortunately am.

So what do you think about all of this? What is the fate of the DC Extended Universe? Do you have high hopes? Do you think things are moving in the right direction, and what films are you anticipating?

The first few films weren't very good but I have high hopes for The Batman, WW1984, The Suicide Squad and more. I also really enjoyed Shazam and Birds of Prey.
    Last edited by Holt; 06-10-2020 at 07:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Holt View Post
    The first few films weren't very good but I have high hopes for WW1984, The Suicide Squad and more. I also really enjoyed Shazam and Birds of Prey.
    Pretty much agree with all of this (James Gunn has proven himself competent again and again so I think TSS will be much better than SS), except I still need to see Birds of Prey. I think my cynicism has been holding me back, but I'll definitely check it out!

Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

I'm torn, and mostly disappointed that there isn't a cohesive plan for the universe to thrive.

I liked MOS and BvS, though there were some inherent limitations to kickstarting a shared universe through BvS's vision. That said, there was plenty enough there that was salvageable, especially after WW was so good. Suicide Squad being a disappointment wasn't great but it didn't have to affect future projects. Justice League being such a mess was really a turning point for me. It seemed to condemn the very premise as doomed to fail.

Since then, DC's biggest successes have just been bad to meh for me. Shazam was good, though the pure comedy and infantilization of his adult form was a turn-off; I thought Aquaman was a bad movie disguised by nice effects; and Birds of Prey was one of the worst films I'd seen in a long time. The "course correction" went to another extreme.

That said, I do look forward to what DC has to offer next, and I see some spark of hope for a shared universe, especially if Cavill returns. WW84, Black Adam, Matt Reeve's Batman all seem promising. And I'd be happy if they were just standalone successes too. But deep down, I think we all crave a satisfying team-up movie with the big guns.

Quote Originally Posted by Lightning Rider View Post
    Justice League being such a mess was really a turning point for me.
    Yeah, I think this was the major negative turning point for me too.

BANNED

classic after classic

Wish they would dump Cavill and reboot Superman like they are Batman, but oh well. As long as the Snyder Cut marks the end of Snyder’s involvement I feel pretty confident that DC’s movie quality will continue to trend upwards.

The DCEU is in a great position right now. Not only are the upcoming releases highly anticipated, but its been proven that much of the DCEU's much maligned earlier films are being re-examined in a positive light and have a demonstrable fanbase.

Literally any other film studio, Disney included, would kill to have a franchise like the DCEU.
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut

Quote Originally Posted by Pinsir View Post
    its been proven that much of the DCEU's much maligned earlier films are being re-examined in a positive light
    Do you have examples? The upcoming director's cut of JL seems to heavily imply that WB/DC Films has optimism that the fans will come running it, but I'm not sure if I've heard much more praise for say, BvS, since it came out (though I most likely avoided a lot of the chatter regarding these films due to my disappointment with the cinematic universe).

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by noisebloom View Post
    Do you have examples? The upcoming director's cut of JL seems to heavily imply that WB/DC Films has optimism that the fans will come running it, but I'm not sure if I've heard much more praise for say, BvS, since it came out (though I most likely avoided a lot of the chatter regarding these films due to my disappointment with the cinematic universe).
    you haven't? a bunch of fans and critics heel turned after ultimate edition came out.

The success of the Snyder cut movement has vindicated fans of Zach Snyder's films, demonstrating that these movies have a devoted fanbase and even a cultural resonance. As a result, a lot of creators, such as John Campea, have recently reviewed Mos and BvS and argued these films were underappreciated. This is also why a lot of anti-Snyder people took this news hard, since they can't really waive their hand anymore and say these films are dead so they don't matter anymore.
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut

Quote Originally Posted by Elmo View Post
    you haven't? a bunch of fans and critics heel turned after ultimate edition came out.
    I did like the Ultimate Edition, but I didn't realize it had a hugely profound effect on fans/critics.

BANNED

I did like the Ultimate Edition, but I didn't realize it had a hugely profound effect on fans/critics.
    Yeah I remember when people were posting montage videos of critics who had updated their reviews. But regardless several of the DCEU films have had an immense fanbase, let’s not act like they’re a minority. Reviews from critics and fans are more divided than overwhelmingly negative

Ultimate Member

The success of the Snyder cut movement has vindicated fans of Zach Snyder's films, demonstrating that these movies have a devoted fanbase and even a cultural resonance. As a result, a lot of creators, such as John Campea, have recently reviewed Mos and BvS and argued these films were underappreciated. This is also why a lot of anti-Snyder people took this news hard, since they can't really waive their hand anymore and say these films are dead so they don't matter anymore.
    No they didn't they saw WB pander to harrassment and bullying. Pandered to the point of wasting more money on a film direction that they were suppose to be veering from.

Which opens the flood gate of more harrassment with the other films.

And by them spending that money-other fanbases like Cyborgs will have a legit gripe. They don't want to hear aabout mooney not being avaiable for Cyborg or any CW show or anything.

Literally any other film studio, Disney included, would kill to have a franchise like the DCEU.