Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Pinsir View Post
    I'm the one citing figures though.
    The figures were already cited, such as BVS' record week 2 drops and the poor reviews for the first few installments. Again, to pretend Disney is envious of that is just fanboy-tinged goggles.

Quote Originally Posted by Rev9 View Post
    It's funny Iron man isn't even being talked about,neither is Infinity war both parts pretty recent.
    Case in point...

I'm fine with agreeing to disagree, as ultimately what a "shared universe" is can be subjective. However, it has been mentioned by people at WB/DC Films at least a few times.

A recent quote from WB CEO Kevin Tsujihara is one such confirmation that a "connected" universe was the plan a few years ago:

“The upcoming slate, with ‘Shazam,’ ‘Joker,’ ‘Wonder Woman 1984,’ and ‘Birds of Prey,’ feels like we’re on the right track. We have the right people in the right jobs working on it,” Tsujihara said. “The universe isn’t as connected as we thought it was going to be five years ago. You’re seeing much more focus on individual experiences around individual characters. That’s not to say we won’t at some point come back to that notion of a more connected universe. But it feels like that’s the right strategy for us right now.”

Quote Originally Posted by noisebloom View Post
    I'm fine with agreeing to disagree, as ultimately what a "shared universe" is can be subjective. However, it has been mentioned by people at WB/DC Films at least a few times.

A recent quote from WB CEO Kevin Tsujihara is one such confirmation that a "connected" universe was the plan a few years ago:

“The upcoming slate, with ‘Shazam,’ ‘Joker,’ ‘Wonder Woman 1984,’ and ‘Birds of Prey,’ feels like we’re on the right track. We have the right people in the right jobs working on it,” Tsujihara said. “The universe isn’t as connected as we thought it was going to be five years ago. You’re seeing much more focus on individual experiences around individual characters. That’s not to say we won’t at some point come back to that notion of a more connected universe. But it feels like that’s the right strategy for us right now.”

BANNED

it was always the strategy, when he talks about connectivity he's talking about what Snyder drew up on the wall

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Elmo View Post
    obviously they're going to promote their upcoming films. especially when they were throwing all their eggs in the basket like that. all i'm saying is they didn't care about a shared universe, and they weren't trying to push it. it was just bad timing because a lot of studios were trying their hand at it and WB wanted to do something different. Snyder had his own plan and that was it. do you think that this is my opinion alone or something? this is an outright fact stated several times by Geoff Johns, Walter Harada, Diane Nelson, and Charles Roven
    You're contradicting yourself here. How can they use their films to promote each other and have it not be a shared universe? How are they throwing all their eggs in one basket but wanting everything to be stand alone?

Considering how haphazard things were behind the scenes, them saying one thing and doing other things isn't that surprising. Like basic viewing comprehension shows us Snyder wasn't just doing his own thing, otherwise we wouldn't have Batman in SS. Ayer tweeted around the time the film came out that there was no interference from WB, but later tweeted that that "snake" Geoff Johns came in and re-wrote scenes for his script.

Quote Originally Posted by Elmo View Post
    it was always the strategy, when he talks about connectivity he's talking about what Snyder drew up on the wall
    The quote is right there, and he makes no mention of it being a Snyder only thing or that the individual approach was always planned.
    Last edited by SiegePerilous02; 06-10-2020 at 11:07 AM.

I rewatched Aquaman and ended up enjoying it a lot more. The CGI wasn't as jarring (and the movie can be visually dazzling at times), and I was able to look past the mediocre script and enjoy the movie for what it was. I've never really been big into the character, but I can see potential in what they might do in a sequel.

I also watched Birds of Prey for the first time. They took more than a few creative liberties with this one, but I enjoyed it. It was funny and the action was solid. I did like Harley Quinn's portrayal and this seems like a good setup for future movies like The Suicide Squad.

I'm definitely a lot more optimistic about how DCEU is going to go.

Quote Originally Posted by Holt View Post
    The figures were already cited, such as BVS' record week 2 drops and the poor reviews for the first few installments. Again, to pretend Disney is envious of that is just fanboy-tinged goggles.
    So were just going to pretend BvS didn't make $873.6 million? I know people like to ju-jitsu that number into not existing by citing 'second week drops' but this doesn't change anything. D you think Disney wouldn't want a film that grossed $873.6 million, let alone a franchise that grossed over 2 billion?

Also this idea that Disney is 'set' in their franchises just isn't true. Why would they invest into making Artemis Fowl, a franchise whose major draw was the promise of sequels. I think the push-back to my statement clearly stems from the insistence that the DCEU is somehow a financial failure, which it clearly isn't.
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut

Quote Originally Posted by Pinsir View Post
    So were just going to pretend BvS didn't make $873.6 million?
    No, we're not gonna pretend it wouldn't have made a lot more had it not had one of the worst week 2 drops in history, which happened because of negative word of mouth. The first cinematic meeting of Batman, Superman and Wonder Woman should've made a lot more than that and yet it somehow made less than the previous two solo Batman movies.

D you think Disney wouldn't want a film that grossed $873.6 million, let alone a franchise that grossed over 2 billion?
    The DCEU specifically? No. Again, they have a franchise in the same genre that is already wildly more successful and without the hiccups. Pretending they're envious of DC is fanboyism.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Holt View Post
    No, we're not gonna pretend it wouldn't have made a lot more had it not had one of the worst week 2 drops in history, which happened because of negative word of mouth. The first cinematic meeting of Batman, Superman and Wonder Woman should've made a lot more than that and yet it somehow made less than the previous two solo Batman movies.
    And Aquaman! Aquaman's first solo movie made more money than the movie which had Superman, Wonder Woman and Batman's first team-up, Batman vs Superman and adaptions of the iconic storylines "Death of Superman" and "Dark Knight Returns!" In theory Batman vs Superman should have made a billion, easy.

The DCEU specifically? No. Again, they have a franchise in the same genre that is already wildly more successful and without the hiccups. Pretending they're envious of DC is fanboyism.
    Yep. The DCEU needs to do more to catch up on the MCU's billion dollar films. Marvel got that sorted back in 2012.

This is my take on the "how successful is the DCEU" argument:

In my experience, big companies (and their shareholders) care a lot about expected revenue/profit. If a company is expected to make a record profit during some fiscal quarter, and they do, but they fall short of what they and everyone else expects, that can still negatively affect the perception of the company and stock.

Leadership changes, going "back to the table", etc. are all signs that a company is not performing to expectations. This is the very same thing we saw after WB launched the DCEU. However profitable their initial films were, they didn't meet their expectations/targets, and that's the reason for the executive changes and overall change in vision.

"That's not a Perspective. That is a Delusion" <---- My response to the "seen in a new light" people....WOW (And Papa Kent instilling FEAR in Clark is what KILLED the entire idea in MoS...Snyder could NOT have gotten the characters MORE Wrong...)
    If you are going to refute, you need to do your own research.

Leadership changes, going "back to the table", etc. are all signs that a company is not performing to expectations. This is the very same thing we saw after WB launched the DCEU. However profitable their initial films were, they didn't meet their expectations/targets, and that's the reason for the executive changes and overall change in vision.
    EXACTLY, which is why people trying to literally change the past with their anger that we do not agree is so annoying.
    If you are going to refute, you need to do your own research.

Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by gambit2051 View Post
    (And Papa Kent instilling FEAR in Clark is what KILLED the entire idea in MoS...Snyder could NOT have gotten the characters MORE Wrong...)
    From Jerry & Joe to Mark Waid, that concept is not new, nor is it "wrong".

DC fans are like Chicken Little. Every little thing is like the sky falling.

Quote Originally Posted by Lightning Rider View Post
    From Jerry & Joe to Mark Waid, that concept is not new, nor is it "wrong".
    The concept has merit, but I think the execution could have used some work. Like, the Kents' stance on Clark isn't wrong but the way the movies frame it around everything else just doesn't lend itself positively in my opinion.