Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Apparently, issue 6 is already being reprinted and issue 7 will have a Gold Lantern variant cover : https://bleedingcool.com/comics/gold...-super-heroes/

So I guess this run is doing well enough to be worth reading, if you don't trust the advice here

Sook's art is great and its an decent introduction to the Legion. Biggest issue is Bendis as he's a guy you trade wait.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Adset View Post
    I haven’t read #6 yet, but I would strongly disagree with the notion that the Legionnaires have been written with distinct voices. I would say it’s been exactly the opposite.
    Now remind me who the writer is again?

Oh wait!

Gotta say I find this to be a common trope with BMB

And I still like his work if it's his own character but I find he writes most voices to sound the same when read these days
    Last edited by kilderkin; 06-22-2020 at 03:09 AM.

Issue 6 started to step up. Until I read that issue I'd probably have said no, I don't recommend it. Now I think it might be worthwhile, in the end.

The world building is interesting, some of the subplots and "mysteries" have potential, but the book moves so damn slowly and the cast is so big I feel like I haven't even met most of them yet.

I'd say there's better Legion stuff to read, if you don't mind stuff from the Silver and Bronze Ages, but if this book ends up being like Young Justice and doesn't start to hit its stride until after issue 6, then this run might turn out to be really damn solid.

But probably better in trade than in floppy either way.

I'd wait before making a judgement. Maybe wait until the second trade is out and see where it's going and if there's any payoff to the concepts and plots Bendis is slowly, slowly, slowly sprinkling into the book.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

It's fun and there are some really great moments, but it does have a little difficulty balancing the pacing of the plot with giving all it's characters something to do. To be fair, that's been said of most Legion books.

Give it a shot if you haven't, if only for Sook's gorgeous pencils.

If you like run where nothing happen and you dont understand what is going on you can try it.

ahhhhh come on, it's Bendis ... stay aways from it

Superfan Through The Ages BBally's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Adekis View Post
    I couldn't keep reading when I saw what Bendis did to Cosmic Boy.

Basically, Rokk Krinn classically is from a very impoverished background. His homeworld, Braal, has been going through a massive economic depression for years. Rokk's got a way out though, which is that he's a great athlete. Magno-Ball is like Braal's soccer, meaning anyone can play it, because everyone has magnetic powers. Rokk is such a great Magno-Ball player, it's his hope to lift his family out of poverty! So he goes to Earth to try and get success there - despite the fact that Magno-Ball is basically a game that only has a presence on Braal, because, well, only Braalians can play it. That's how basically desperate he is before he meets RJ Brande. He's looking for sports sponsorships on a planet that doesn't play his sport - because it's still better odds than trying on Braal, that's how poor Braal is. And through luck and hard work and an unexpected new opportunity as a founding member of the Legion, Rokk not only manages to lift his family out of poverty, but to improve Braal's standing overall!

In my opinion, to take a character so enmeshed in class struggle and to make him an elite, to strip away the egalitarian nature of Magno-Ball by making it so that only 1% of Braalians have magnetic powers, to literally make Rokk Krinn "one of the one percent", is an absolute disgrace to the name of Cosmic Boy!

So after the issue that started with a flashback to Cos' backstory, I stopped reading the book. Before that, I was... still skeptical, to be honest, but I was pushing through it. It wasn't bad, there were things I liked about it. Cosmic Boy just happens to be one of my favorites. I guess I didn't even realize how much until Bendis changed him from the ground up.

As for whether other versions of the Legion have that teenage hormonal instability or not - I honestly think they all do, except the ones where the Legion is adults. Even in the Silver Age, they've got a Silver Age version of that - remember that their first appearance involves hazing Superboy just to be dicks, basically. I think that's pretty real. Bendis is just good at believable dialogue for that kind of character, it doesn't mean they've never had that perspective before.
    Wow! I really don't see the point of changing his backstory like that. Again, it would be better if this wasn't another rebooted Legion but a new generation inspired by the original 31st Century Legion.
    No matter how many reboots, new origins, reinterpretations or suit redesigns. In the end, he will always be SUPERMAN

Credit for avatar goes to zclark

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Adekis View Post
    I couldn't keep reading when I saw what Bendis did to Cosmic Boy.

Basically, Rokk Krinn classically is from a very impoverished background. His homeworld, Braal, has been going through a massive economic depression for years. Rokk's got a way out though, which is that he's a great athlete. Magno-Ball is like Braal's soccer, meaning anyone can play it, because everyone has magnetic powers. Rokk is such a great Magno-Ball player, it's his hope to lift his family out of poverty! So he goes to Earth to try and get success there - despite the fact that Magno-Ball is basically a game that only has a presence on Braal, because, well, only Braalians can play it. That's how basically desperate he is before he meets RJ Brande. He's looking for sports sponsorships on a planet that doesn't play his sport - because it's still better odds than trying on Braal, that's how poor Braal is. And through luck and hard work and an unexpected new opportunity as a founding member of the Legion, Rokk not only manages to lift his family out of poverty, but to improve Braal's standing overall!

In my opinion, to take a character so enmeshed in class struggle and to make him an elite, to strip away the egalitarian nature of Magno-Ball by making it so that only 1% of Braalians have magnetic powers, to literally make Rokk Krinn "one of the one percent", is an absolute disgrace to the name of Cosmic Boy!

So after the issue that started with a flashback to Cos' backstory, I stopped reading the book. Before that, I was... still skeptical, to be honest, but I was pushing through it. It wasn't bad, there were things I liked about it. Cosmic Boy just happens to be one of my favorites. I guess I didn't even realize how much until Bendis changed him from the ground up.

As for whether other versions of the Legion have that teenage hormonal instability or not - I honestly think they all do, except the ones where the Legion is adults. Even in the Silver Age, they've got a Silver Age version of that - remember that their first appearance involves hazing Superboy just to be dicks, basically. I think that's pretty real. Bendis is just good at believable dialogue for that kind of character, it doesn't mean they've never had that perspective before.
    I've actually been thinking about this lately since I reread the first six issues again and perhaps it's because I've never really deep dived the Legion, but it didn't hit me as hard until I reread it after you posted this.

Now I'm pretty frustrated too. It's a real shame because I don't feel what we've lost for Cosmic Boy has been worth what we've gained thus far. Sorry this happened to a favorite of yours, dude. The Legion faithful are diehard and not for lack of DC's effort.