Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast
    Jewish & Proud Feminist Shadowcat's Avatar

Default Thoughts on the current Batfamily line? Things you like? Things you’d change?

Question is pretty simple. Now that 5G has effectively been cancelled, what are your thoughts on the batfamily line of titles currently? Anything in particular you think has run it’s course, and needs a break? Something you’d launch/relaunch? Creative team dream picks?

Current Titles
    •Batgirl (CastellucCi/Di Giandomenico)
    •Batman (Tynion IV/Daniel/March)
    •B&TOutsiders (Hill/Soy)
    •Batman Beyond (Jurgens/Miranda/Chen)
    • Batman/Superman (Williamson/Marquez)
    • Catwoman—(creator lineup changing. Post your ideal creators)
    •’Tec (Tomasi/Walker/Mannie/Duce)
    • Harley Quinn (Russell/Basri)
    • Nightwing (Jurgens/Cliquet)
    • Red Hood (Lobdell/Messina)
    • Suicide Squad (Taylor/Redando)

*Not sure if SS should be considered a Batfamily title or not. Up to your discretion.
    Comic-Watch Reviewer

Titles:
    /Doctor Strange/Captain Marvel\Scarlet Witch\
    /Iron Man/Captain Britain/Wasp\X-Men\
    /JSA\/X-Treme X-Men\/WILDCATS\

https://comic-watch.com/author/baradtzgmail-com

A slight stretch to the topic, but whatever: A Batwoman/Question book is begging to be published right now. They're a couple again, they're at unprecedented levels of media exposure... and plus, there'd really be nothing like it out right now as far as I'm aware. I guess that would count as a change.

More on topic: it seems like it's been a while since anything really noteworthy has happened across the whole line, even accounting for delays and rescheduling.
    Last edited by Caivu; 06-11-2020 at 01:06 AM.
    Mega fan of: Helena Bertinelli (pre-52), Batwoman, Birds of Prey, Guardians of the Galaxy, Secret Six
    Fan of: Batman, Cassandra Cain, Wonder Woman, Silk, Stephanie Brown, Captain America, Hellcat, Renee Montoya, Gotham Central, King Shark
    Quasi-Fan of: Aquaman, Midnighter, Superman, Catwoman, Nightwing, Green Arrow, Squadron Supreme, Red Hood

Other likes: Low, Hush, Arkham Asylum: ASHoSE, Watchmen, A-Force, Bombshells, Grayson, Unfollow

Team Cap (both Rogers and Danvers)

Red Hood is ending and Lobdell is leaving, as far as I'm aware. There were some rumours about some new talent for the character, but it was some weak rumour and it was in march or even february, I think. A lot has changed since.

Astonishing Member

hard reboot.

Entire multiverse; everything...back to the basics.

Batman, Robin, Batgirl.

(Don't get me wrong; I love many DC characters. I will miss them.)

My thoughts are the current line is uninspired and stale. With for the most part tired creators going through the motions with stale ideas. Most of the books feel like they are in holding patterns, buying time for something that now isn't going to come.
    Last edited by Godlike13; 06-11-2020 at 02:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by scary harpy View Post
    hard reboot.

Entire multiverse; everything...back to the basics.

Batman, Robin, Batgirl.

(Don't get me wrong; I love many DC characters. I will miss them.)

It's time to grow and move on.

As someone who got into DC just before the 2000's I don't want to go back to the old days.

I also don't want Dick in leotards and bare legs.
    Last edited by Conn Seanery; 06-11-2020 at 12:44 PM. Reason: Poor judgment

Tynion is so dull I haven't managed to finish any of his Batman issues. He's also such a yes man that I know the Alfred RIP is also the last we will hear about bruce's action's during King's run re; the family.

I would like a writer like Taylor to take over the Batman line or Priest. I know it's not gonna happen.

Pretty sure the Synder onDick is Happening I just wish he could writer the Nightwing title for a period.
    Orlando is another wish for Nightwing

Glad that Lobdell is leaving. The guy is the worst. Jason has been lucky to have the same writer for years and yet the man hasn't taken advantage of such a chance.

Jason is directionless
    Jason doesn't have an established supporting cast or an established world
    Jason is a member of the Bat family and yet he walks around calling himself the Red Hood! Why or how can any of the Bats work with him when he's walking around calling himself that while at the same time making zero effort to kill the joker?

Heck Jason seems to have long abandoned his whole purpose for being. He has abandoned the whole reason why he wears the helmet and goes by that name. It just feels like he wants drama and to stick it to bruce.

I hope that in 3 Jokers Jason gets to kill one of the Jokers. It was a bad idea tieing his persona and his entire point in UTRH to the Joker since it forever doomed him to hypocrisy and lack of agency because DC would never let him kill the Joker.

3 Jokers is a chance to fix it. Let Jason kill Joker and get agency.

I don't know who I would like to replace Lobdell since I don't know any other writers that have expressed an interest in the character.

Glass but he's leaving or Bendis. Bendis seems to view him highly so he could just be the one to take Jason higher.

Taylor is currently smashing it on SS as is Hill on Outsiders.
    I'm loving Tomasi on tec and Jurgens on BB. I would like to see more of the Demon, Dick, his daughter and find out more about Jason in Batman Beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by Zaresh View Post
    Red Hood is ending and Lobdell is leaving, as far as I'm aware. There were some rumours about some new talent for the character, but it was some weak rumour and it was in march or even february, I think. A lot has changed since.
    I just hope that his ten years on duty for Jason will have created a foundation solid enough that he won't revert abck to insane psycho-killer from the Pre-New 52 Era...

I like BatO but in regard to Cass and especially Duke, it hasn't been the best showing yet...
    Last edited by Korath; 06-11-2020 at 07:15 AM.

Also want more titles like Batman/TMnt and Shadow/Batman etc where Batman and Robin are a duo. This leaves all parties satisfied.
    DC gets to keep their solo robin
    DC and Batman fans the main Batman titles just for batman and being a detective
    B&R fans get stories with them

Extraordinary Member

I’d try teaming Paul Dini and Dustin Nguyen again on some Gotham book, akin to their Streets of Gotham and Detective Comics runs; he’s, the BTAS series is good, but I think their output on regular Batman stuff was too good to pass up, particularly when it involved new characters and other Gothamites.

I’d also try and bring back Fabian Nicieza in some book - at minimum he’s a writer of caliber between Tomasi and Dini, and his sense of humor could be a major asset in offering differentiation.

As to what that book would be... I’ve long felt something like a Gotham Knights book would be good to return to the franchise, with flexibility as to who the heroes are starring in it, or a Legends of the Dark Knight book, with a flexibility in the timeline. Either way, I want to be able to see a book that use a Dick and Tim team-up, a Steph and Damian team-up, or a Cass and Babs team-up, and i wouldn’t mind having flashback stories that could take place in any era of Batman - give the fans whining about not seeing the Bruce-Babs-Dick team something occasionally, But also provide a chance for Tim as a rookie, some Dick and Damian as Batman and Robin stories, and maybe something rare like Jason as a Robin and Babs as Batgirl.

I know there’s some general chaos right now as they kind of wait to see if any other big name superstar will rise to replace King as the lead writer, but to be honest, if they can’t do that, trying to get the kind of editorial structure that Denny O’Neill brought on might be a good replacement for it - the two Eternal series they did basically worked like that, and arguably would have been better if they weren’t tied to some single plot arc and instead just acted as cohesive interlocking stories with rotating creative teams.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

Quote Originally Posted by dietrich View Post
    Tynion is so dull I haven't managed to finish any of his Batman issues. He's also such a yes man that I know the Alfred RIP is also the last we will hear about bruce's action's during King's run re; the family.

I would like a writer like Taylor to take over the Batman line or Priest. I know it's not gonna happen.

Pretty sure the Synder onDick is Happening I just wish he could writer the Nightwing title for a period.
    Orlando is another wish for Nightwing

Glad that Lobdell is leaving. The guy is the worst. Jason has been lucky to have the same writer for years and yet the man hasn't taken advantage of such a chance.

Jason is directionless
    Jason is a member of the Bat family and yet he walks around calling himself the Red Hood! Why or how can any of the Bats work with him when he's walking around calling himself that while at the same time making zero effort to kill the joker?

Heck Jason seems to have long abandoned his whole purpose for being. He has abandoned the whole reason why he wears the helmet and goes by that name. It just feels like he wants drama and to stick it to bruce.

I hope that in 3 Jokers Jason gets to kill one of the Jokers. It was a bad idea tieing his persona and his entire point in UTRH to the Joker since it forever doomed him to hypocrisy and lack of agency because DC would never let him kill the Joker.

3 Jokers is a chance to fix it. Let Jason kill Joker and get agency.

I don't know who I would like to replace Lobdell since I don't know any other writers that have expressed an interest in the character.

Glass but he's leaving or Bendis. Bendis seems to view him highly so he could just be the one to take Jason higher.

Taylor is currently smashing it on SS as is Hill on Outsiders.
    I'm loving Tomasi on tec and Jurgens on BB. I would like to see more of the Demon, Dick, his daughter and find out more about Jason in Batman Beyond.
    Jason has been sidetracked by editorial quite a bit too. Apparently the whole thing with Penguin was supposed to lead up to him being Leviathan, by way of Bendis. Hence why that direction didn't really amount to much (other than Jason handing the keys over to Suzie Su and her sisters, no strings attached). And right now, he, Artemis, and Biz are dealing with the Untitled in Qurac, while Ma Gunn is looking for more teachers for the kids that Jason brought in.

@dietrich, I don't know what Red Hood comic you've been reading, but this quote?
    Jason is directionless
    Not really true.

Jason has had a clear direction most of the time since Lobdell took the book. It's editorial with the constant events who had derailed the original plans since more or less the middle of the curren book. Right now? It has a very clear direction, wrapping the whole run, even.

Jason has built his own cast since, again, Lobdell took the book. He has given Jason a group of reformed villains (the sisters), his own support secret ninja cult (the all-caste) and villains (the untitled, Solitary, some other one-time tugs and villains), his Alfred (Ma Gunn, who's actually an old, one-time in one issue character from post-crisis), his own police character (an FBI agent that I'm sure he would have used more often with time), a group of children to guide and care for, romantic interest (besides Artemis, which is arguable who gave Jason her, Lobdell has given Jason Isabel and Essence), and other collaborators (like the woman from that mercenary agency in Red Hood/Arsenal). So, eh, you may not like them; but for what's an arguable short period of time, he's gained a respectable number of original fellows for his stories. And I'm pretty sure more than a few of them are going to stick to his personal wall.

Why Batman is calling himself BATman? He doesn't like like the bats. Why is Man-Bat named Batman? He doesn't like with the batfam. Why is Nighjtwing still with the Batfam? He uses a kryponian name---Eh, at the risk of sounding defensive, or sounding offensive... Come on.

-----------

Edit: @godisawesome, Dustin Nguyen and Paul Dini in a Gotham book, that's something I want to read. But I suspect it would be way easier to see Nguyen drawing for Tim: it's his fave Robin, apparently. So, if Tim were the lead...
    Last edited by Zaresh; 06-11-2020 at 08:57 AM.

Incredible Member Light of Justice's Avatar

I think I want Tim to be included more with Batfam. Like, is there any Batfam member except Steph who knows that he's now named Drake? I don't think Mr. Overly Paranoid Wayne approve that Tim literally use his last name as superhero identity. I already disapprove that Tim changed his name without any relation of Bruce. Dick changed his hero name as Nightwing because of his disagreement with Bruce. Jason changed his hero name as Red Hood because of his disappointment with Bruce. They accepted Robin title because Bruce gave them, so to detach Robin title because of Bruce is understandable. I know that his title is more Red Robin than Robin, but still he used the title Bruce gave him as part of his superhero name. To detach that title with his literal last name without any mention to Bruce, for me make him looks very estranged from Bruce and Batfam in general.

He didn't have to have a conflict with Bruce like Dick and Jason, just at least he should talk or interacting with Bruce first before he released Robin title and got new identity. So I think I want a batman issue or Tec issue that include Tim's superhero identity shift (if that shift is supposed to be permanent I HOPE IT'S NOT)
    Last edited by Light of Justice; 06-11-2020 at 09:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackalope89 View Post
    Jason has been sidetracked by editorial quite a bit too. Apparently the whole thing with Penguin was supposed to lead up to him being Leviathan, by way of Bendis. Hence why that direction didn't really amount to much (other than Jason handing the keys over to Suzie Su and her sisters, no strings attached). And right now, he, Artemis, and Biz are dealing with the Untitled in Qurac, while Ma Gunn is looking for more teachers for the kids that Jason brought in.
    See I might have liked the idea of Jason as Leviathan.

leviathan is an Anti-hero. he is a big player and he's integrated into the DcU [at least bendis was attempting to]

That is the direction/position that I feel will suit Jason.

Sadly editorial interferes at times though with Jason being under the Superman editorial he and damian don't get that much editorial interference honestly.

The real problem is/was Lobdell.

What has the man being doing all this while?

Don't Bully a Hurt Dragon Sergard's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Zaresh View Post
    Harley Quinn is ending with #75 but there's supposed to be a new series. Or is the digital first "Harley Quinn: Make 'em Laugh" already the new series?
    This is just me guessing without any proof but I wouldn't be surprised if there were some relaunches after Joker War. At least it would be a good time to do a relaunch - and sales are low currently.

Personally I'd like for a relaunch:
    - more independence for characters
    - less events/tie-ins
    - more variety in the publication formats (monthly floppies, graphic novels, minis, limited series, seasons, etc.)
    - character consistency (within a universe) over flashy stories
    - if there's no writer who wants to write the character, the character gets shelved for the time being.

Titles that I'd personally like to see (not ordered by any priority) after the next relaunch:

Batwoman - the main focus is on Kate Kane. Other characters appearing are Renee and the rest of the Kane family (+ other supporting cast). Kate fights international terrorism and is specialized in occult/paranormal/spooky cases. Possible guest appearances: Birds of Prey, Justice League Dark (preferably Wonder Woman and Zatanna). Very minimal appearances of the batfamily (preferably none, not counting Barbara as part of Birds of Prey. Luke and Azrael are okay too).

Red Hood (and the Outlaws) - Jason is starting his new life in New York. He lives in Ma Gunn's school together with the other Outlaws (Bizarro and Artemis - Artemis is sometimes away on solo adventures), Generation Outlaw (Devour, Cloud Nine, DNA, Doomed, Caden, Mombie, Babe), Ma Gunn (his grandmother) + teachers (currently Monsieur Mallah and Brain), Pup Pup and Dog. Other supporting cast: Crux, Su sisters, fixer Tara Battleworth, All-Caste members (Ducra, S'aru, Essence), FBI-agent Melissa Mitchell, Wingman (Willis Todd), Faye Gunn Jr., Isabel Ardila. It's a mixture of solo missions and team-ups with his supporting cast. The school is his homebase. In his civil life he helps raising and teaching the kids who are currently in a dark place so that they won't end up were he did in the past. As Red Hood he's traveling all around the world infiltrating/taking down crime syndicates and occasionally encountering mystical threats. He takes jobs from Tara Battleworth to financially support his family and helps FBI-agent Melissa Mitchell with severe cases.
    NO batfamily.
    Plus points for Dexter Soy (lines), Veronica Gandini (colors) and Yasmine Putri (variants)

Signal (and the Immortal Men) - I want a book that focuses on Duke's heritage, his powers, Gnomon and the connection to the Immortal Men. I liked Tynion's Immortal Men, I think he could therefore also do good on Duke in this regard.

Cass and Stephanie - I pretty much just want a book with those two teaming-up.