Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Joker 80th Anniversary special

I found this rather meh, the classic covers were nice though. We got a sorta origin for Punchline. Some of the art was pretty bad imho, made it hard to read a few of the stories.

Robin 80th was a lot better.
    Pulls: Batman, Detective Comics, SiKtC, Catwoman, Nightwing, Titans, Godzilla, Wonder Woman, Batman & Robin, Brave and the Bold, No/One, Kill your Darlings, and Deviant.
    My runs: Batman #230-, and Detective #420-

Yeah. Same here.

I think anymore modern Joker's over-the-top brutality is just so mainstream these days, even it isn't specifically being done by him. The only story I really liked was that weird, dream-like final story by Azzarello.

I liked it a lot. You guys are hard to please.

Quote Originally Posted by Bad Witch View Post
    I liked it a lot. You guys are hard to please.
    I just thought the art was so bad in many of the stories, i had a hard time getting into them. I would expect better for a big anniversary issue like that.
    Pulls: Batman, Detective Comics, SiKtC, Catwoman, Nightwing, Titans, Godzilla, Wonder Woman, Batman & Robin, Brave and the Bold, No/One, Kill your Darlings, and Deviant.
    My runs: Batman #230-, and Detective #420-

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SixSpeedSamurai View Post
    I just thought the art was so bad in many of the stories, i had a hard time getting into them. I would expect better for a big anniversary issue like that.
    They're not really getting top tier talent for these specials. You would think they can get big names for one of the, if not, the biggest villain in popular culture.

Where's Morrison - who wrote Arkham Asylum?
    Where's Miller - who wrote DKR?
    Where's Loeb - who wrote Hush?
    Where's King - who wrote a critically acclaimed Batman run?

Quote Originally Posted by charliehustle415 View Post
    They're not really getting top tier talent for these specials. You would think they can get big names for one of the, if not, the biggest villain in popular culture.

Where's Morrison - who wrote Arkham Asylum?
    Where's Miller - who wrote DKR?
    Where's Loeb - who wrote Hush?
    Where's King - who wrote a critically acclaimed Batman run?
    It could also be that they didn't have any stories they could offer for this special?

And I would argue that this special has plenty of talent...Paul Dini, Tom Taylor, Scott Snyder, James Tynion, Peter Tomasi, Brian Azzarrello, and they've all had an impact on The Joker in their own way.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    It could also be that they didn't have any stories they could offer for this special?

And I would argue that this special has plenty of talent...Paul Dini, Tom Taylor, Scott Snyder, James Tynion, Peter Tomasi, Brian Azzarrello, and they've all had an impact on The Joker in their own way.
    But the biggest impact?

But the biggest impact?
    I mean, ultimately I'd say Dini had more of an impact on Joker then King or Loeb did.

I mean, ultimately I'd say Dini had more of an impact on Joker then King or Loeb did.
    On that I agree, but to not have at least one other big name that made the Joker who he is now is pretty poor.

I would have loved a 3 page story from Miller that continues the story after Todd's death in Last Crusade.

On that I agree, but to not have at least one other big name that made the Joker who he is now is pretty poor.

I would have loved a 3 page story from Miller that continues the story after Todd's death in Last Crusade.
    Snyder doesn't count? Azzarello?

But the biggest impact?
    Denny O’Neil wrote a story in the Joker 80th anniversary special. Denny had a huge impact on the Joker, I’d argue more so than any other writer mentioned in this thread, with his 1973 story in Batman #251, “The Joker's Five-Way Revenge!"
    Post CBR reboot join date: May 2014, Pre CBR reboot join date: April 2005
    Official DC message boards join date (as Batman Fan 31593): April 2000

Quote Originally Posted by kevink31593 View Post
    Denny O’Neil wrote a story in the Joker 80th anniversary special. Denny had a huge impact on the Joker, I’d argue more so than any other writer mentioned in this thread, with his 1973 story in Batman #251, “The Joker's Five-Way Revenge!"
    Not to mention this is now one of O'Neil's last Batman-related stories and the last published story of his career (I believe).

Not to mention this is now one of O'Neil's last Batman-related stories and the last published story of his career (I believe).
    It’s his penultimate story, I believe Denny also wrote a story for next week’s Green Lantern special.

Snyder doesn't count? Azzarello?
    When you compare them to others they do not count; they are just more recent.

- What did they do to add to the mythos?

It would be similar to not having Loeb on a Two-Face 80th Special; the man made Two-Face mainstream to the point his entire Dent Plot was the basis for one of the best Batman movies ever released. He added to the mythos.

O'Neil of course counts; but did he make a mainstream splash? Other than us; if I asked an average Joe who is Denny O'Neil - would they know?
    Last edited by charliehustle415; 06-18-2020 at 08:20 PM.

When you compare them to others they do not count; they are just more recent.

- What did they do to add to the mythos?

It would be similar to not having Loeb on a Two-Face 80th Special; the man made Two-Face mainstream to the point his entire Dent Plot was the basis for one of the best Batman movies ever released. He added to the mythos.

O'Neil of course counts; but did he make a mainstream splash? Other than us; if I asked an average Joe who is Denny O'Neil - would they know?
    I don’t think the “average Joe” would know the name of any single writer we’ve mentioned, sadly (except maybe Frank Miller). But yes, Denny’s mainstream splash was being the first writer in 30 years (at the time of the early 70s) to bring Joker back to his Golden Age roots. I’ll quote from this linked page: https://dc.fandom.com/wiki/Batman_Vol_1_251

This issue is historically significant for the folowing reasons:
    It marks the Joker's return to his violent roots. After been portrayed as a mass murderer during the early years of the Golden Age, Joker was reduced to being an annoying prankster on the late years of the Golden Age and on his scarce appearances during the Silver Age. With this story, many elements of the Joker's original portrayal were updated and remain to the present day, a constant feature in the development of the character.
    I’d say that’s a pretty big mainstream splash.
    Last edited by kevink31593; 06-18-2020 at 08:40 PM.