Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kevink31593 View Post
    I don’t think the “average Joe” would know the name of any single writer we’ve mentioned, sadly. But yes, Denny’s mainstream splash was being the first writer in 30 years (at the time of the early 70s) to bring Joker back to his Golden Age roots. I’ll quote from this linked page: https://dc.fandom.com/wiki/Batman_Vol_1_251

I’d say that’s a pretty big mainstream splash.
    No doubt and I completely agree; but people know Arkham Asylum simply because there were 4 huge videogames that were directly influenced by it.

And did mainstream people even read comics before the bronze age? At that time it was a niche hobby it wasn't until Miller came on the scene and changed everything; we would never have had Batman '89 without his Year One or DKR.

Quote Originally Posted by charliehustle415 View Post
    No doubt and I completely agree; but people know Arkham Asylum simply because there were 4 huge videogames that were directly influenced by it.

And did mainstream people even read comics before the bronze age? At that time it was a niche hobby it wasn't until Miller came on the scene and changed everything; we would never have had Batman '89 without his Year One or DKR.
    Denny’s impact is that his story in 1973 laid the foundation for future Joker stories that followed. I don’t deny Miller’s additional (and higher profile) impact, but without O’Neil there might not have been Frank Miller’s stories. O’Neil’s work was also an influence on the 1992 animated series.

Back on the subject of the 80th anniversary special, I’ve been gradually reading thru the stories in it for the past week, and I finished it today. Sure, it would have been nice to have some additional stories from other creators that weren’t included, but I mostly enjoyed what we got. Tomasi’s story was the only one I didn’t really get into on my first reading.
    Last edited by kevink31593; 06-18-2020 at 09:04 PM.
    Post CBR reboot join date: May 2014, Pre CBR reboot join date: April 2005
    Official DC message boards join date (as Batman Fan 31593): April 2000

When you compare them to others they do not count; they are just more recent.

- What did they do to add to the mythos?

It would be similar to not having Loeb on a Two-Face 80th Special; the man made Two-Face mainstream to the point his entire Dent Plot was the basis for one of the best Batman movies ever released. He added to the mythos.

O'Neil of course counts; but did he make a mainstream splash? Other than us; if I asked an average Joe who is Denny O'Neil - would they know?
    I think Snyder's re-invention of The Joker had a heavy impact on the mythos. Now every Joker appearance in a modern comic has those scratchy speech bubbles.

And Azzarello did a very popular Joker graphic novel that even inspired stuff in the live-action movies.

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I think Snyder's re-invention of The Joker had a heavy impact on the mythos. Now every Joker appearance in a modern comic has those scratchy speech bubbles.

And Azzarello did a very popular Joker graphic novel that even inspired stuff in the live-action movies.

I totally forgot about the speech bubbles, but I'm pretty sure Morrison did it first.

Nevertheless, I think Joker needs a deluxe special to show his importance to the Bat Mythos. I did enjoy what we got but there could have been more.

I totally forgot about the speech bubbles, but I'm pretty sure Morrison did it first.

Nevertheless, I think Joker needs a deluxe special to show his importance to the Bat Mythos. I did enjoy what we got but there could have been more.
    In a sense that's true, it may have been what inspired Snyder, but it was the way it was conveyed in Snyder's comics that stuck.

If we're comparing this to the Robin and Catwoman specials (who are as important and popular to the mythos as Joker is) then I'd say it's pretty even.