Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by kcekada View Post
    The Cat team-up was pretty good. I think, though, that her book may have been cancelled by the time she appeared. The first MTU with Tigra and Kraven was excellent, but the latter one wasn't as good. It's not as terrible as some of the 80s MTU stories were, but it's just not as good as the ones written by Chris Claremont. The second Tigra team up features the return of a character last seen in Claws of the Cat #1.
    That Cat Teamup might also have been scheduled ahead of time, otherwise with her book's demise, they might not have even used Greer, at least not so soon.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Forgive me if it seems like I'm too focused on power levels but this was an observation I really wanted to talk about.

Has anyone noticed that beast humanoid characters in western superhero comics tend to be just barely above superhuman while in anime and manga it is much more normal for them to be on the higher tier (Rob Lucci from One Piece, Yoruichi and Komamura in Bleach, the Chimera Ants in Hunter x Hunter, Leona in Akame ga Kill). I wonder how much more powerful Tigra would be if she were a character from Japanese media.
    I don't think Tigra is usually shown to be as strong as the Handbooks indicate. Greer's strength as Cat was athletic level. It became superhuman when she was Tigra (without tail). Then it was increased again when she became Tigra again in West Coast Avengers (and gained a tail). But writers usually concentrated on her speed and agility. Even before the last upgrade, she could bend steel bars. Again, though, her level of strength just isn't demonstrated often -- and is mostly showcased in hand-to-hand combat -- not performing feats of strength.
    Last edited by kcekada; 10-23-2020 at 05:39 AM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenixx9 View Post
    That Cat Teamup might also have been scheduled ahead of time, otherwise with her book's demise, they might not have even used Greer, at least not so soon.
    I agree. The story was probably scheduled in attempt to bump sales of The Cat, but it came too late. As much as I loved Claws of the Cat #1, the follow up issues were rather insipid. Linda Fite was good at scripting, but not good at plotting stories. She had a plot assist from Roy Thomas in COTC 1 -- which is the best of the lot. Also, losing Wally Wood after only one issue didn't help the art.

I agree. The story was probably scheduled in attempt to bump sales of The Cat, but it came too late. As much as I loved Claws of the Cat #1, the follow up issues were rather insipid. Linda Fite was good at scripting, but not good at plotting stories. She had a plot assist from Roy Thomas in COTC 1 -- which is the best of the lot. Also, losing Wally Wood after only one issue didn't help the art.
    True, it seemed doomed with all of that. But at least we got 4 issues!

Astonishing Member

If Marvel had convinced Gerry Conway to make The Cat a reoccurring ally in the pages of Amazing Spider-Man, Greer might have avoid becoming Tigra. Especially, following the death of Gwen Stacy and Norman Osborn. I always felt the Greer could have been an excellent ally and friend to Peter Parker as there was a lot of story potential between them. I feel that Tigra should had been a new character instead of using Greer as its avatar. Then again, if Greer was a part of Spider-Man's world, we might not have had The Black Cat as we know her today. The only real difference between Felicia and Greer is anti-hero/villain vs heroine/crime fighter.

Tony Isabella(Tigra's creator) might had been better off with making Tigra a creator own character with an independent publisher. Pitching Tigra as part of Marvel Comics banner was a dumb idea on Isabella's part become he lost control over the character...
    Last edited by Darthfury78; 10-25-2020 at 09:47 AM.

Spectacular Member

You know what would be a cool book for Tigra? If Marvel did a "Birds of Prey" kinda series, but with the same weird almost-but-not-quite horror slant that the original Spider-Woman had in the 80s.

I would base it in San Francisco and have the main cast be Tigra, Hellcat and Jessica Drew with other characters coming in and out for different story arcs. Between the three of them, those ladies have a lot of obscure connections that a good writer could dredge up for stories! What do y'all think?

I know this will never happen but I would love to see a one-shot with Tigra, Hellcat, Blackcat, Puma and Feral from X-Force team-up for some feline shenanigans. And have the 3 more popular kitties look at Feral as a literal feral cat that's crazy and Puma would act like "why am I here". Maybe add Catseye too. It could be connected to the Cat People or whatever.

Am I missing any hero cat person?

Quote Originally Posted by Raz View Post
    You know what would be a cool book for Tigra? If Marvel did a "Birds of Prey" kinda series, but with the same weird almost-but-not-quite horror slant that the original Spider-Woman had in the 80s.

I would base it in San Francisco and have the main cast be Tigra, Hellcat and Jessica Drew with other characters coming in and out for different story arcs. Between the three of them, those ladies have a lot of obscure connections that a good writer could dredge up for stories! What do y'all think?
    That could work. What would you call such a book?

Ultimate Member

Cats of Prey?

Quote Originally Posted by Alphaxman View Post
    I know this will never happen but I would love to see a one-shot with Tigra, Hellcat, Blackcat, Puma and Feral from X-Force team-up for some feline shenanigans. And have the 3 more popular kitties look at Feral as a literal feral cat that's crazy and Puma would act like "why am I here". Maybe add Catseye too. It could be connected to the Cat People or whatever.

Am I missing any hero cat person?
    What about White Tiger?
    Tolstoy will live forever. Some people do. But that's not enough. It's not the length of a life that matters, just the depth of it. The chances we take. The paths we choose. How we go on when our hearts break. Hearts always break and so we bend with our hearts. And we sway. But in the end what matters is that we loved... and lived.

Quote Originally Posted by chicago_bastard View Post
    What about White Tiger?
    Right, both of them. But only if they had the power of the tiger god. Maybe it could be the patron of the Cat people with Bast as an opposite and that could get Black Panther involved too. LOL

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Alphaxman View Post
    Right, both of them. But only if they had the power of the tiger god. Maybe it could be the patron of the Cat people with Bast as an opposite and that could get Black Panther involved too. LOL
    If they split the power of the Tiger God, they might be half as strong, but much more able to control the more predatory urges that come from him. It'd definitely be a way to have cake and eat it, too. (And Tigra would be stronger than either, so she'd keep her niche as biggest baddest cat-girl around.)

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Raz View Post

I like the idea. I think they need at least one more regular character --- maybe Mockingbird? A group of cat-related characters isn't a bad idea either, but I think I'd prefer more of a Birds of Prey angle.

Astonishing Member

Add in Misty Knight and Colleen Wing and call it Daughters of the Dragon, or call it Heroes for Hire. Get in White Tiger while they're at it.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Inquisitor View Post
    Add in Misty Knight and Colleen Wing and call it Daughters of the Dragon, or call it Heroes for Hire. Get in White Tiger while they're at it.
    I dunno, I feel like adding Misty and Colleen would just make it seem like another Daughters of the Dragon/Heroes for Hire reincarnation and anyone else would just take a back seat to them. Also I like Misty in New York

I actually totally forgot about White Tiger, she'd be a good addition for Alphaxman's cat heroes one-shot! It might be a bit of overkill having another cat-themed HTH fighter on a smaller ongoing team when Patsy and Greer are already there though....maybe we could revamp one of the weirdos from Spider-Woman's old series like the Shroud or Poltergeist! I don't think they all necessarily need to be cat-themed as long as there's some obvious cat connection. I mean Birds of Prey only really had Black Canary named after a bird...as far as a name, I thought Pride sounded cool but the Runaways might have something to say about that lol ;p