Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Astonishing Member Electricmastro's Avatar

Default Tigra (Greer Grant Nelson) Appreciation 2020

An appreciation thread for Greer Grant Nelson, who first appeared in The Cat #1 (November, 1972).

1972:

1974:

1976:

Last edited by Electricmastro; 06-11-2020 at 12:18 PM.

1983:

1994:

2002:

2009:

2010:

2018:

Love Greer! Wish we had more stories from when she was the Cat.

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenixx9 View Post
    Agreed. If they ever want to push her character again I hope they revert her to the Cat.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by whitecrown View Post
    Agreed. If they ever want to push her character again I hope they revert her to the Cat.
    Don't know if anyone has seen Stargirl on the CW or DC Universe streaming service, but they introduced Wildcat II who has most of the same abilities as the Cat. She even scaled a building with her claws. And despite the color scheme -- the costume is very similar to the Cat's.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenixx9 View Post

Same here. If she would ever show up again in a regular series, perhaps the writer could do an untold tale. In issue 5 of Claws of the Cat (which was actually drawn, but not completed) she would have faced a character named the Witch. Okay, that's kinda lame -- which is probably why the series was cancelled. Despite an excellent first issue with plot assist from Roy Thomas, issue 2-4 were nowhere near as good.

Still, it and Marvel Chillers laid the groundwork for an interesting character, but her future writers never did anything really interesting with her.

By the way, I recommend the tpb that came out several months ago -- includes all her early appearances as Cat and Tigra.

Quote Originally Posted by kcekada View Post
    Same here. If she would ever show up again in a regular series, perhaps the writer could do an untold tale. In issue 5 of Claws of the Cat (which was actually drawn, but not completed) she would have faced a character named the Witch. Okay, that's kinda lame -- which is probably why the series was cancelled. Despite an excellent first issue with plot assist from Roy Thomas, issue 2-4 were nowhere near as good.

Still, it and Marvel Chillers laid the groundwork for an interesting character, but her future writers never did anything really interesting with her.

By the way, I recommend the tpb that came out several months ago -- includes all her early appearances as Cat and Tigra.
    I need to pick up that tpb since it really does include all her early appearances.

What's funny is that this was posted in the Invisible Woman thread. It shows which characters Marvel gave the most priority to in the 70s and while the Cat did not have 3 stars, she did have 2 stars. So it's strange that they clearly cared enough about the character according to this but then quickly discarded her after only a few issues.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crimz View Post
    The discussion is reminding me of this list from the 70s which explains everything really.