Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenixx9 View Post
    I never said that Greer should hgave been made over as Tigra......
    I was referring to Tony Isabela(Tigra's creator). He should not have pitched Tigra to Marvel. Instead, he should have kept the character and go to a independent comic publisher to market Tigra. Greer is stuck as Tigra because of Isabela's sales pitch.

I should have been clear on my last comment. I really would had loved to see The Cat as Greer Nelson while Tigra as a someone else.
    Last edited by Darthfury78; 11-21-2020 at 02:26 AM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by kcekada View Post
    What's done is done. Cat, at the time, was viewed as a failed character. I think she had all the makings of a great characters, but issues 2-4 really failed to build on the premise of the first issue.

People like characters that tie into other characters --- even when that character failed to find a market. So, in that respect, it made sense to use Greer/the Cat. I wish the Marvel Chillers issues had followed up on the premise of Tigra being both Cat and Tigra. Instead, they had Greer locked in as Tigra -- which limited story potential. Then future writers really emphasized her feral nature --- which again limited story potential.

I guess Cat could make a comeback, but she'd need a new costume -- one that couldn't get confused with Hellcat's. And then she could be Cat or Tigra. That concept is interesting -- though it could be confusing.
    I think that the Cat could have found a place with the world of Spider-Man. Greer would had fit in well as Peter's ally. If that was the case, Greer might had been Peter's first crime fighting ally to know his secret identity as Spider-Man.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Darthfury78 View Post
    I was referring to Tony Isabela(Tigra's creator). He should not have pitched Tigra to Marvel. Instead, he should have kept the character and go to a independent comic publisher to market Tigra. Greer is stuck as Tigra because of Isabela's sales pitch.

I should have been clear on my last comment. I really would had loved to see The Cat as Greer Nelson while Tigra as a someone else.
    From a creator's perspective, Isabella doing this feel right - however, then she'd be an obscure independent super-hero but at Marvel was able to gain mainstream attention and become an on again off again Avenger. Marvel's track record with her is underwhelming, though I did like her in Avengers: West Coast, but the opportunities are endless for her in their hands. She might be in the MCU one day now.

Extraordinary Member

They would have still replaced her with Patsy Walker, even if she wasn’t Tigra.

Plus I doubt, without being Tigra, Greer would have been the sixth member of the Avengers run that reunited the founders (minus Hulk).
    Last edited by Will Evans; 11-21-2020 at 07:39 AM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Inquisitor View Post
    From a creator's perspective, Isabella doing this feel right - however, then she'd be an obscure independent super-hero but at Marvel was able to gain mainstream attention and become an on again off again Avenger. Marvel's track record with her is underwhelming, though I did like her in Avengers: West Coast, but the opportunities are endless for her in their hands. She might be in the MCU one day now.
    I think Isabella's Tigra would had been as successful as Dave Sim's Cerebus the Aardvark.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Will Evans View Post
    They would have still replaced her with Patsy Walker, even if she wasn’t Tigra.

Plus I doubt, without being Tigra, Greer would have been the sixth member of the Avengers run that reunited the founders (minus Hulk).
    If Gerry Conway had incorporated Greer into the pages of Amazing Spider-Man, The Cat might have avoided becoming Tigra. The evolution of her character with Spider-Man might had helped to make a contrast with DC's Catwoman.

Astonishing Member

Conway had no hand in creating the Cat, so he likely had no interest in pushing her. Also, Spider-Man never really had a recurring character as a partner until Black Cat was used heavily in Al Milgrom's Spectacular Spider-Man run. Cat seemed to be loosely based on Spider-Man -- she even used glib comments when in battle - so I think she may have been a bit too spot on to use regularly as a Spider-Man character.

I would guess, though, that if Greer hadn't become Tigra -- the Cat would eventually have found her way back -- as few characters disappear forever. Shanna the She-Devil's title failed around the same time, but she eventually showed up in Daredevil -- and then became a regular character in Ka-Zar. Spider-Woman and Ms. Marvel, though, had a much more difficult time coming back after their titles will axed, but they eventually did.

Tigra seems ripe for a comeback, but I just hope it's an appropriate vehicle-- and not something like Squirrel Girl or the last Hellcat series -- which aimed at young female readers.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by kcekada View Post
    Conway had no hand in creating the Cat, so he likely had no interest in pushing her. Also, Spider-Man never really had a recurring character as a partner until Black Cat was used heavily in Al Milgrom's Spectacular Spider-Man run. Cat seemed to be loosely based on Spider-Man -- she even used glib comments when in battle - so I think she may have been a bit too spot on to use regularly as a Spider-Man character.

I would guess, though, that if Greer hadn't become Tigra -- the Cat would eventually have found her way back -- as few characters disappear forever. Shanna the She-Devil's title failed around the same time, but she eventually showed up in Daredevil -- and then became a regular character in Ka-Zar. Spider-Woman and Ms. Marvel, though, had a much more difficult time coming back after their titles will axed, but they eventually did.

Tigra seems ripe for a comeback, but I just hope it's an appropriate vehicle-- and not something like Squirrel Girl or the last Hellcat series -- which aimed at young female readers.
    Young female readers love to read the major titles like Avengers and Spider-Man comics.

Astonishing Member

But those titles aren't specifically aimed at a female audience. I think Squirrel Girl is okay for what it is, but it's not a title I would ever touch.

small press afficionado matt levin's Avatar

I think Squirrel Girl is great! But Tigra is not Doreen Green (Squirrel Girl), and a Squirrel Girl style would not suit Tigra.
    Age/Bronze, Age/Reptiles, Alex&Ada, Anne Bonnie, Astro City, Bone, Briggs Land, Cerebus, Criminal, Courtney Crumrin, Eleanor & the Egret, Fables, Fatale, Fell, Grass Kings, Green Valley, Goon, Gotham Midnight, Groo, Hellboy, Hillbilly, Incognegro, Jack Staff, JL8, Jonah Hex, Kane, Lazarus, Little Nemo, Lone Wolf, Next Wave, Popeye, Powers, Princess Ugg, Resident Alien, SiP, Squirrel Girl, Stray Bullets, 10G, Thief of Thieves, Tuki, Uncle Scrooge, Usagi, Velvet