Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenixx9 View Post
    Love Greer! Wish we had more stories from when she was the Cat.

Same here. If she would ever show up again in a regular series, perhaps the writer could do an untold tale. In issue 5 of Claws of the Cat (which was actually drawn, but not completed) she would have faced a character named the Witch. Okay, that's kinda lame -- which is probably why the series was cancelled. Despite an excellent first issue with plot assist from Roy Thomas, issue 2-4 were nowhere near as good.

Still, it and Marvel Chillers laid the groundwork for an interesting character, but her future writers never did anything really interesting with her.

By the way, I recommend the tpb that came out several months ago -- includes all her early appearances as Cat and Tigra.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by whitecrown View Post
    Agreed. If they ever want to push her character again I hope they revert her to the Cat.
    Don't know if anyone has seen Stargirl on the CW or DC Universe streaming service, but they introduced Wildcat II who has most of the same abilities as the Cat. She even scaled a building with her claws. And despite the color scheme -- the costume is very similar to the Cat's.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by LordAllMIghty View Post
    While I like Tigra, she always seemed to be the odd man out when it came to Avengers teams.

She doesn't have any factors that stand out in my head when it comes to her. She kind of just there.

She needs a new story
    Someone should concentrate on her empathic powers -- because that could really be an advantage against an opponent.

Quote Originally Posted by kcekada View Post
    Someone should concentrate on her empathic powers -- because that could really be an advantage against an opponent.
    Yeah, that was one aspect of what I meant by her Cat powers (vs Tigra powers, since Greer seems to have lost this ability).

Ultimate Member

I think she used to have a cat's head amulet that let her transform from human-Greer to Tigra form (something to do with the demon cat-people?). That might be a neat way to split the difference and let her be able to transform and live a double life, and not be stuck in cat-form all the time.

Training to enhance her latent magical talent to also transform into a mundane orange tabby, or a full sized tiger, could be icing on the cake. Not that she needs 'more powers,' so much as 'more stories!' (And yeah, more follow-up on the kid. There aren't a lot of single moms out there, and it could be interesting to see how, if at all, others in the hero community are involved in her and William's lives, or if they've just sort of written them off...)

I could see an unlikely connection forming between her, Janet van Dyne and Jocasta, as the three 'exes' of Hank Pym.

Yeah, that was one aspect of what I meant by her Cat powers (vs Tigra powers, since Greer seems to have lost this ability).
    I wonder if that's what inspired Marvel to give Hellcat some low-level telekinesis.

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    I think she used to have a cat's head amulet that let her transform from human-Greer to Tigra form (something to do with the demon cat-people?). That might be a neat way to split the difference and let her be able to transform and live a double life, and not be stuck in cat-form all the time.

Training to enhance her latent magical talent to also transform into a mundane orange tabby, or a full sized tiger, could be icing on the cake. Not that she needs 'more powers,' so much as 'more stories!' (And yeah, more follow-up on the kid. There aren't a lot of single moms out there, and it could be interesting to see how, if at all, others in the hero community are involved in her and William's lives, or if they've just sort of written them off...)

I could see an unlikely connection forming between her, Janet van Dyne and Jocasta, as the three 'exes' of Hank Pym.
    I always liked her brief partnership with Jessica Drew when she was no longer Spider-Woman. They're both single moms these days so that would be a neat connection to rekindle.

Quote Originally Posted by matt levin View Post
    Hi, I'm in total agreement with Poenixx9, that we should have more stories from when she was The Cat, and White Crown--they don't HAVE to "revert" her: these could simply be tales from Before the Change. That's the 'philosophy' (heh) of the whole "YEAR ONE" (isn't it always upper-cased screamed?) presentation. Anyway, she really does have a good, solid backstory that's never been much expanded on. And for now, my favorite Tigra image is that good ol' West Coast Avengers cover.

And juan678, thanks for the links, great reading.
    That's true, they could go that route but to be honest, I'd prefer her to reclaim her mantle as the Cat in the future. Much like how Carol Danvers claimed Captain Marvel despite being known as Ms. Marvel for decades.

Quote Originally Posted by kcekada View Post
    Same here. If she would ever show up again in a regular series, perhaps the writer could do an untold tale. In issue 5 of Claws of the Cat (which was actually drawn, but not completed) she would have faced a character named the Witch. Okay, that's kinda lame -- which is probably why the series was cancelled. Despite an excellent first issue with plot assist from Roy Thomas, issue 2-4 were nowhere near as good.

Still, it and Marvel Chillers laid the groundwork for an interesting character, but her future writers never did anything really interesting with her.

By the way, I recommend the tpb that came out several months ago -- includes all her early appearances as Cat and Tigra.
    I need to pick up that tpb since it really does include all her early appearances.

What's funny is that this was posted in the Invisible Woman thread. It shows which characters Marvel gave the most priority to in the 70s and while the Cat did not have 3 stars, she did have 2 stars. So it's strange that they clearly cared enough about the character according to this but then quickly discarded her after only a few issues.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crimz View Post
    The discussion is reminding me of this list from the 70s which explains everything really.

Quote Originally Posted by whitecrown View Post
    I wonder if that's what inspired Marvel to give Hellcat some low-level telekinesis.
    Yes, I believe it to be so. But then Moondragon reabsorbed that TK power from Hellcat when Moonie needed it to use in the upcoming Korvac battle (although it turned out, she really did not need it, lol).

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

I liked Greer as the Cat more than I liked Patsy as Hellcat. But I also liked Greer as Tigra more than I liked Greer as the Cat. Something about being forced to undergo a treatment that leaves one permanently altered appealed to me. Add in ancient mysticism of a hidden species and/or cult and pretty much all of my favorite 70s horror/chiller/thriller trope boxes are checked. I thought she had the makings of a character that would have a long solo career, similar to Daredevil. Or perhaps have the same kind of following that indie characters like Vampirella or Hellboy enjoy. But alas, she never caught on in that way. I almost feel cheated.

Astonishing Member

CBR recently did an article that last showed her using it in Avengers Academy. That's fairly recent. I think that after Marvel Chillers, most writers never bothered doing proper research -- and weren't even aware the ability existed.
    Last edited by kcekada; 06-15-2020 at 08:18 AM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    I do like when she can switch to human form -- and still has all her powers as the Cat. That's another unique thing about her. When She-Hulk is plain old Jen Walters -- she's pretty much helpless. The Tigra mini-series by Christina Z and Mike Deodato had its flaws, but I loved that Greer appeared in human form about 50% of the time.

Quote Originally Posted by JudicatorPrime View Post
    I liked Greer as the Cat more than I liked Patsy as Hellcat. But I also liked Greer as Tigra more than I liked Greer as the Cat. Something about being forced to undergo a treatment that leaves one permanently altered appealed to me. Add in ancient mysticism of a hidden species and/or cult and pretty much all of my favorite 70s horror/chiller/thriller trope boxes are checked. I thought she had the makings of a character that would have a long solo career, similar to Daredevil. Or perhaps have the same kind of following that indie characters like Vampirella or Hellboy enjoy. But alas, she never caught on in that way. I almost feel cheated.
    Tigra wouldn't have bothered me if she had been fleshed out more as a solo hero in the supernatural side of the Marvel Universe. Much like Spider-Woman as a solo hero which is also why I enjoyed these two being paired together as a duo briefly. Jessica could have been a P.I. while Greer a cop who uses her connections to help her in her human form.

Yes, I believe it to be so. But then Moondragon reabsorbed that TK power from Hellcat when Moonie needed it to use in the upcoming Korvac battle (although it turned out, she really did not need it, lol).
    Moondragon's powers have always fluctuated, between this and being able to turn into a dragon.

Tigra I think is one of those characters who is probably better off as a solo lead than a team member but that is difficult to do because she isn't a money maker for Marvel. I liked her 2002 miniseries by Christina Z. It did touch on police brutatlity slightly better than your average superhero comic.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    I want her to be on an international team, or a spy- based group. Her powers are suited to stealth missions. Very under-used ability.
    A tiger woman in a bikini doesn't strike me as very stealthy. She would make for a good tracker though.