Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

I just feel they have never showed her true potential with a possible exception in that mini series a couple of years ago. I love Tigra & she should be more of a bad ass, rather than the team member who is taken out first.

Ultimate Member

She was actually pretty bad ass in Avengers Initiative, putting the hurt on Hood's crew while they were legal cops

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Charybdis4 View Post
    I just feel they have never showed her true potential with a possible exception in that mini series a couple of years ago. I love Tigra & she should be more of a bad ass, rather than the team member who is taken out first.
    Her power gets undersold a lot. At a 5 ton lift, she's more than twice as strong as Luke Cage or the Beast was, for years (only 2 tons), and half as strong as bus-lifting Spider-Man. And she's got Spidey-like reflexes. She's a literal beast, and should be able to utterly plow through non-superhuman goons, and even lower-tier superhuman fighters (since she combines both above-human strength *and* speed/agility/reflexes, which, except for Spider-Man, and a few oddballs like Shatterstar, most don't have in combination).

Plus she's got superhuman senses, which rarely get much play, and certainly not to the level of someone like Wolverine.

Even against someone like Sabertooth she's about ten times as strong, and able to move and react so much faster than him, she'd be like a mongoose picking a fight with a sedated tree sloth. It would really up her cred to match her up with some villain who is super-scary to a much less powerful hero, and allow her to just go to town, because she should be really fighting above her weight class, thanks to her speed (which even some stronger characters don't really have a counter for, and would find her hard to hit, and harder to block/parry/dodge).

Of course I have always had a weakness for super-agile or gymnastic characters, flipping around acrobatically and fighting in a very dynamic manner, such as Spider-Man, Nightcrawler, Daredevil, Nightwing, etc. so I've got a fondness for this, and would love to see Tigra get more play, if only because we seem to get a lot of dudes flipping around and doing the long kicks, but not so many ladies (who are more prone to floating around with their hands extended, throwing zaps, or mental blasts, or whatever). It would be a neat turn to see someone like Tigra getting in the thick of it, the kind of role more generally given to dudes like Wolverine. (Or X-23, so it's not all dudes!)

Astonishing Member

Spider-Woman would be an excellent place to reintroduce Tigra. I think too many male writers such as Brian Bendis just looked at her as a novely/sex-symbol.

I don't know, though, that this new SW series will delve much into the supernatural -- it seems much more action, high octane oriented.

As for stealth, black ops -- being able to switch to human form when needed is pretty handy for undercover work.

settle a debate for me please. Is it pronounced Tie-gra or Tea-gra?

Quote Originally Posted by Mormegil View Post
    settle a debate for me please. Is it pronounced Tie-gra or Tea-gra?
    Most people I know pronounce it (Tie-gra), but a Spanish-speaking friend says (Tee-gra). Tomato/Tomatoe, Tiegra/Teegra.

Ultimate Member

I always assumed Tie-gra, like tie-ger.

But if that always held true (that the pronunciation is based off of the root word), it'd be Mag-neht-oh, not Mag-neet-oh, so lord knows what was actually intended when she was created.

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    I always assumed Tie-gra, like tie-ger.

But if that always held true (that the pronunciation is based off of the root word), it'd be Mag-neht-oh, not Mag-neet-oh, so lord knows what was actually intended when she was created.
    It is Mag-neht-oh. Or at least it was in the comics until TV/movies relentlessly used the incorrect pronunciation.

I still say Mag-neht-oh.

Quote Originally Posted by Panic View Post
    It is Mag-neht-oh. Or at least it was in the comics until TV/movies relentlessly used the incorrect pronunciation.

I still say Mag-neht-oh.
    Me too! Always have, always will!

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Panic View Post

I still say Mag-neht-oh.
    According to Stan Lee, it's Mag-NEET-oh. I used to pronounce it the other way, too, until Stan did part of the narrative on one of the Spider-Man cartoons -- it might have been Spider-Man and His Amazing Friends -- and he pronounced it with the long "e" sound.

Quote Originally Posted by JudicatorPrime View Post
    According to Stan Lee, it's Mag-NEET-oh. I used to pronounce it the other way, too, until Stan did part of the narrative on one of the Spider-Man cartoons -- it might have been Spider-Man and His Amazing Friends -- and he pronounced it with the long "e" sound.
    I remember a Marvel comic actually told the reader how to pronounce it, though I can't remember where. I suspect it was in a letters page. I do remember it saying that a mag-neet-oh was an electrical device, whilst mag-nhet-oh was a super-villain.

Am I the only one that thinks that Tigra's relationship with Skrull Hank Pym was tantamount to rape? It reminds me of the Carol Danvers - Marcus Immortus thing, although admittedly not nearly as vile. I still find it hard to believe that Tigra couldn't tell the difference between the real Hank Pym and Skrull Hank Pym. Two reasons: first, she's an empath. Emotional brainwave patterns are always unique, since they are based on experiences, not just biology. Secondly, a person's scent is as much a reflection of diet and environment as anything else, so even if you copied someone genetically, it doesn't mean that you would still smell like the original. That, too, is not merely something that's determined by biology or genetics.

Lastly, is their son still around, or did they write him out of existence yet?

Am I the only one that thinks that Tigra's relationship with Skrull Hank Pym was tantamount to rape? It reminds me of the Carol Danvers - Marcus Immortus thing, although admittedly not nearly as vile. I still find it hard to believe that Tigra couldn't tell the difference between the real Hank Pym and Skrull Hank Pym. Two reasons: first, she's an empath. Emotional brainwave patterns are always unique, since they are based on experiences, not just biology. Secondly, a person's scent is as much a reflection of diet and environment as anything else, so even if you copied someone genetically, it doesn't mean that you would still smell like the original. That, too, is not merely something that's determined by biology or genetics.

Lastly, is their son still around, or did they write him out of existence yet?
    Naw, when I heard about that mess I thought the same thing.

Why give her a son if they are only going to never show anything about him? Such poor, poor storytelling!

I don't get it, either. And if Skrull Pym is dead, that makes Greer yet another single mom. How many single dad heroes are there?

I don't get it, either. And if Skrull Pym is dead, that makes Greer yet another single mom. How many single dad heroes are there?
    True. Only Scott Lang comes to mind. (Although some will also include Hank Pym, but he did not raise his now-adult daughter.)
    Last edited by Phoenixx9; 06-15-2020 at 05:53 PM.