Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by JudicatorPrime View Post
    Am I the only one that thinks that Tigra's relationship with Skrull Hank Pym was tantamount to rape? It reminds me of the Carol Danvers - Marcus Immortus thing, although admittedly not nearly as vile. I still find it hard to believe that Tigra couldn't tell the difference between the real Hank Pym and Skrull Hank Pym. Two reasons: first, she's an empath. Emotional brainwave patterns are always unique, since they are based on experiences, not just biology. Secondly, a person's scent is as much a reflection of diet and environment as anything else, so even if you copied someone genetically, it doesn't mean that you would still smell like the original. That, too, is not merely something that's determined by biology or genetics.

Lastly, is their son still around, or did they write him out of existence yet?
    The weird thing there is that we saw Hank's *thoughts* back when he was dating Tigra, and he was very clearly not a Skrull, and then, bang, retcon, he was a Skrull! Please ignore that the writer didn't know it, and thought he was writing the real Hank Pym...

And that could be the No-Prize winner to the 'why didn't Tigra's empathy pick him up?' if Skrull-Pym was a Manchurian Candidate, and has been psychically conditioned to think he was the actual Hank Pym, until a trigger phrase or event or whatever snapped him out of it and restored his original Skrull memories.

Plus whatever the Skrulls were using for these deep cover infiltrators was supposedly able to fool Dr. Strange's magic and Xavier's telepathy, as well as any machine-testing that Stark or Richards could come up with, so it was kind of a buttpull/mcguffin-of-unobtainium plot convenience already. I could probably come up with some explanations for how their alien super-science could trick human genius-science, or even Manchurian candidating could fool telepaths (and empaths), and just a faithful-to-the-role diet and such could deal with enhanced scent (probably the easiest thing for Skrulls to deal with, with millenia of experience at pretending to be other peeps, around all sorts of other races, at least some of whom, like Mephitisoids, have enhanced senses of smell), but *magic?* Sorcerer-Supreme-level magic?

That's just bad writing, as Deadpool says.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    The weird thing there is that we saw Hank's *thoughts* back when he was dating Tigra, and he was very clearly not a Skrull, and then, bang, retcon, he was a Skrull! Please ignore that the writer didn't know it, and thought he was writing the real Hank Pym...

And that could be the No-Prize winner to the 'why didn't Tigra's empathy pick him up?' if Skrull-Pym was a Manchurian Candidate, and has been psychically conditioned to think he was the actual Hank Pym, until a trigger phrase or event or whatever snapped him out of it and restored his original Skrull memories.

Plus whatever the Skrulls were using for these deep cover infiltrators was supposedly able to fool Dr. Strange's magic and Xavier's telepathy, as well as any machine-testing that Stark or Richards could come up with, so it was kind of a buttpull/mcguffin-of-unobtainium plot convenience already. I could probably come up with some explanations for how their alien super-science could trick human genius-science, or even Manchurian candidating could fool telepaths (and empaths), and just a faithful-to-the-role diet and such could deal with enhanced scent (probably the easiest thing for Skrulls to deal with, with millenia of experience at pretending to be other peeps, around all sorts of other races, at least some of whom, like Mephitisoids, have enhanced senses of smell), but *magic?* Sorcerer-Supreme-level magic?

That's just bad writing, as Deadpool says.
    In fairness, skrulls would have some experience dealing with magic, as they've been at war with the dire wraiths for a while.

But yeah, no real effort was put forth to 'sell' the impersonators, and even less was made in unraveling them.

My ideas for a Tigra solo

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    After some thoughts, here are my ideas:

* Greg Rucka as writer, Nicola Scott as artist.

* Tigra is a supernatural private detective, an occupation taking advantage of her skills as a police officer and her connection to the supernatural world. She aids humans and non humans like. She also has a spellcaster from the cat people assisting her.

* Her powers are developed slightly. She has greater speed, strength, agility and healing and has two other modes she can access. A tiger mode and a larger "true weretiger" mode. She can sense and track mystical energy.

This may be a dumb question, but why is Tigra called a Were-Woman instead of a werecat?

A werecat sounds like a person who would turn into a cat person the same way that a werewolf would be a person who turns into a wolf.

A Were-Woman sounds to me to be a man who turns into a woman.

It's probably a stupid question and meaningless point. It just seems strange to me.
    Last edited by Thievery; 08-11-2020 at 06:36 PM. Reason: spelling

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Thievery View Post
    This may be a dumb question, but why is Tigra called a Were-Woman instead of a werecat?

A werecat sounds like a person who would turn into a cat person the same way that a werewolf would be a person who turns into a wolf.

A Were-Woman sounds to me to be a man who turns into a woman.

It's probably a stupid question and meaningless point. It just seems strange to me.
    Because that description was made in the 70s. They didn’t have internet to quickly look up the correct way for words to be. And just went what sounded right.

[QUOTE=Will Evans;5091860]Because that description was made in the 70s. They didn’t have internet to quickly look up the correct way for words to be. And just went what sounded right.[/QUOTE

I guess that it really doesn't mean any thing then.

Thank you for your answer. Much appreciated.

small press afficionado matt levin's Avatar

Wouldn't surprise me if someone just liked the alliteration of Were-Woman.
    Age/Bronze, Age/Reptiles, Alex&Ada, Anne Bonnie, Astro City, Bone, Briggs Land, Cerebus, Criminal, Courtney Crumrin, Eleanor & the Egret, Fables, Fatale, Fell, Grass Kings, Green Valley, Goon, Gotham Midnight, Groo, Hellboy, Hillbilly, Incognegro, Jack Staff, JL8, Jonah Hex, Kane, Lazarus, Little Nemo, Lone Wolf, Next Wave, Popeye, Powers, Princess Ugg, Resident Alien, SiP, Squirrel Girl, Stray Bullets, 10G, Thief of Thieves, Tuki, Uncle Scrooge, Usagi, Velvet

Ultimate Member

Although the idea that she was a 'were-woman' and not a 'were-cat', as in, she was a cat who turned into a woman, not a woman who turned into a cat, would be neat, and perhaps could be tweaked into a retcon / AU version where 'Tigra' is the true form of a demon cat-person who has taken on a fake magical persona as 'Greer Nelson,' a completely made-up human guise she wears (like Donald Blake, no longer a 'real person,' but just a human coat that Thor put on for a time).

Astonishing Member

That's an interesting idea, but I'd hate for that to happen. I always liked Greer -- and that as Tigra she retains some of the Cat's abilities (mostly the empathy).

Quote Originally Posted by kcekada View Post
    That's an interesting idea, but I'd hate for that to happen. I always liked Greer -- and that as Tigra she retains some of the Cat's abilities (mostly the empathy).
    Yeah, me too. I like the story as it is now. I always liked Greer and Tigra has the ability to switch back to human (Greer) if she chooses.

Astonishing Member

We have yet to see The Black Cat encounter Tigra. I long to see Greer's reaction towards the changes in Felicia's behavior. Afterall, Tigra was Spider-Man's first female crime fighting partner. Thus, Greer might be concerned about the changes of Spider-Man's former partner. It would be cool to see Greer helping Felicia to find herself once again. I would love for Greer to knock some sense back into The Black Cat once again.

Tigra vs Black Cat would mirror Cop vs Crime Boss takedown...

Astonishing Member

Default Should Tigra become a recurring guest in Spider-Man's world?

Hi Everyone,

If the circumstances were different, do you believe Greer Grant(before she became Tigra) might have made a good foil for Spider-Man as a Police Officer/Costumed heroine(The Cat). They might have made for an interesting partnership/rivalry of which one is above the law while the other must follow the law...

http://diversionsofthegroovykind.blo...are-claws.html

I always wondered had The Cat series been successful, would Greer been the sort of partner to Spider-Man as Jean De Wolf was: A cop who is secretly a fan of Spider-Man. It might had been interesting to had seen Tigra become a regular mainstay in Spider-Man's world instead of the Avengers as I liked their partnership during the 3 times they worked together in the Marvel Team-Up series. Imagine if you were to write a Tigra vs The Lizard story, as well as Greer being a NYPD cop as her day job. It would certainly fun to see Tigra and Spider-Man revive their long stalled friendship once again. Do you agree?

http://www.comicscube.com/2012/07/ba...gra-comic.html

Astonishing Member

I think Cat, and even Tigra, were a bit too similar too Spider-Man in personality -- so periodic team-ups worked best. I would love to see Tigra given another shot at a solo. I think Tigra would be an amazing property to turn into a TV series --- especially if they stayed true to her comics origin and started her out as costume hero -- and then make the big leap to beast-woman -- but maintaining her personality. I wasn't fond of later writers who had her get too animal-like -- as was done in West Coast Avengers.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by kcekada View Post
    I think Cat, and even Tigra, were a bit too similar too Spider-Man in personality -- so periodic team-ups worked best. I would love to see Tigra given another shot at a solo. I think Tigra would be an amazing property to turn into a TV series --- especially if they stayed true to her comics origin and started her out as costume hero -- and then make the big leap to beast-woman -- but maintaining her personality. I wasn't fond of later writers who had her get too animal-like -- as was done in West Coast Avengers.
    The best way to promote Tigra(as a series) is to incorporate her in the pages of Spider-Man(Daredevil, Venom, and The Punisher) as Greer Nelson, a member of the NYPD's CSI Unit. Unlike Felicia, Greer is an officer of the law. Her ties to Parker would run very deep. If Marvel had moved Greer into Spider-Man's world(as The Cat), she might avoided the fate of becoming Tigra. This was a missed opportunity to have had The Cat as Peter's first female crime fighting partner who is a member of the NYPD..
    Last edited by Darthfury78; 09-04-2020 at 04:24 PM.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Darthfury78 View Post
    The best way to promote Tigra(as a series) is to incorporate her in the pages of Spider-Man(Daredevil, Venom, and The Punisher) as Greer Nelson, a member of the NYPD's CSI Unit. Unlike Felicia, Greer is an officer of the law. Her ties to Parker would run very deep. If Marvel had moved Greer into Spider-Man's world(as The Cat), she might avoided the fate of becoming Tigra. This was a missed opportunity to have had The Cat as Peter's first female crime fighting partner who is a member of the NYPD..
    Disagree.

Unless she's part of a taskforce ala Code Blue, then being a cop in a superhero verse just makes playing the Empire to the main character's Luke Skywalker