Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    Disagree.

Unless she's part of a taskforce ala Code Blue, then being a cop in a superhero verse just makes playing the Empire to the main character's Luke Skywalker
    Spider-Man has the largest audience of readers who could be introduced to the character, who can support her solo series going forward. A great marketing tool. Second, we had Captain Stacy, Jenn DeWolf and Carlie Copper in the world of Spider-Man in a supporting role. The same can be applied towards Tigra playing a supporting in Peter's world. I feel that Greer and Peter have a connection that should be explored because their shared interest is science.

Astonishing Member

Last edited by Darthfury78; 10-03-2020 at 04:31 PM.

for a future storyline, if Greer is a police officer again, then place her in a new city like Portland or Seattle. make her in human form most of the time but then she'll have occasional blackouts where she turns into her were-tiger form, wears out the bad guys, but then the next day is assigned to the investigation on what happened to all the clawed-up Maggia members in a warehouse.
    I guess I ruined my pitch, but whatevs. Bring her back.

In my opinion, the first thing needed to have any success with this character in the future, at least as an ongoing solo hero, is to fix the absolute mess that is Marvel's "Cat-lore". The Cat-People, the Land-Within, the amulet and all of that stuff is so convoluted and weird and goofy, that it prevents you from taking Tigra even a little bit serious. Couple that with her usually being treated or seen in a hyper sexualized way and you have a recipe for a very hard-sell character. I honestly think there is potential there if you completely re-haul the Cat-lore and give her a good reimagining. Plus lose the tail, cause I hate it lol.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Darthfury78 View Post
    Nice piece of artwork by Mike Grell, but Tigra would never be caught by the Rhino as pictured here. She's too fast -- and her hyper senses would prevent him from ever sneaking up on her. I'll have to chalk this up to artistic license.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Darthfury78 View Post

I don't know who created that image, but I find it wildly inaccurate. Maybe She-Hulk being that she ran around in oversized ripped shirts and underwear in Savage She-Hulk. I guess it could be argued that Tigra is just in a swimsuit, but the same could be said of the Thing, Iceman and the Beast (after he mutated) since none of them are actually showing skin.

Was Atlas (as Power Man) ever considered eye candy? He was a thug with a crappy costume.

Jessica Jones! WTF?! For anyone who ever read ALIAS, Jessica wasn't created as eye candy -- she wasn't drawn as being very attractive until the flashback arc drawn by Mark Bagley. Or maybe I'm just taking this stuff too seriously.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by kcekada View Post
    I don't know who created that image, but I find it wildly inaccurate. Maybe She-Hulk being that she ran around in oversized ripped shirts and underwear in Savage She-Hulk. I guess it could be argued that Tigra is just in a swimsuit, but the same could be said of the Thing, Iceman and the Beast (after he mutated) since none of them are actually showing skin.

Was Atlas (as Power Man) ever considered eye candy? He was a thug with a crappy costume.

Jessica Jones! WTF?! For anyone who ever read ALIAS, Jessica wasn't created as eye candy -- she wasn't drawn as being very attractive until the flashback arc drawn by Mark Bagley. Or maybe I'm just taking this stuff too seriously.
    This is from Gwenpool, meant as a joke.

You are taking this way too seriously.

Astonishing Member

Fair enough. I'm just a little defensive about character design. Too many people want asexual characters dressed in baggy black clothes.

Astonishing Member

Its a joke but you're right--it is completely inaccurate for all of those characters except for Black Cat and perhaps Black Widow. For several of them, it is actually the exact opposite--they were not designed as eye candy, but became that later. That is the case for both She-Hulk and Tigra. She-Hulk was originally designed as "female Hulk", and wasn't particularly portrayed as a sex symbol. That came later in John Byrne's FF and especially his SENSATIONAL SHE-HULK. Tigra actually started out as a feminist hero as the Cat, and turning her into Tigra was meant to exploit the popularity of the supernatural at the time--she was intended to be a horror character, not eye candy. The whole "sex kitten" aspect came up later.

Since some of those characters (but not all) DID have long periods of time where their sex appeal was one of the most focused on aspects of their portrayal, that is why Gwen--and a lot of readers--mistakenly think that is what they were created for. Unfortunately since one of Gwen's 'powers' is comic-awareness, some fans may take what she says here as literal fact--but hopefully the inclusion of some obvious wrong answers like Atlas and Jessica Jones will help underscore for the readers that it is a joke. I have to admit that panel bothered me a bit too when I read that issue, for that exact same reason.

It's certainly an interesting topic. Tigra did first appear in a bikini, so there was definitely sex appeal in mind, but she was also very much meant to be menacing and dangerous. Tigra being a tiger-woman is one of the most appealing things about her, obviously, but it's also one of those things that keeps her from having a definitive look. Her actual body is the definitive look, so artists don't want to cover her up, but at the same time, how do you give her an iconic costume? How do you get her beyond the "sexy girl in a bikini" when everyone wants to see all that striped skin?

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    for a future storyline, if Greer is a police officer again, then place her in a new city like Portland or Seattle. make her in human form most of the time but then she'll have occasional blackouts where she turns into her were-tiger form, wears out the bad guys, but then the next day is assigned to the investigation on what happened to all the clawed-up Maggia members in a warehouse.
    I guess I ruined my pitch, but whatevs. Bring her back.
    I would love to see Greer with the NYPD CSI Unit. Also, I would love to see the dynamic between Greer Nelson and Peter Parker flushed out in the same manner as Capt. George Stacy and Jean DeWolf. Greer would make a great ally and friend to Peter Parker because both are trained scientists who would compliment each other's work.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Doombot View Post
    It's certainly an interesting topic. Tigra did first appear in a bikini, so there was definitely sex appeal in mind, but she was also very much meant to be menacing and dangerous. Tigra being a tiger-woman is one of the most appealing things about her, obviously, but it's also one of those things that keeps her from having a definitive look. Her actual body is the definitive look, so artists don't want to cover her up, but at the same time, how do you give her an iconic costume? How do you get her beyond the "sexy girl in a bikini" when everyone wants to see all that striped skin?
    I feel that Greer Nelson should not have been made into Tigra. The latter should have been a brand new character instead of transforming Greer into Beast-Kitty. Imagine if Greer was made into a reoccurring character in the pages of Amazing Spider-Man? Her Police background would had made her into an ally who knew that Parker is Spider-Man...

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Doombot View Post
    She had a sports bra type of top on a variant cover of Amazing Spider-Man 17 that is a nice update. Still shows about the same amount of fur-- but she's no longer in a bikini. I think the creators didn't plan on putting her anything, but comics code wouldn't allow that back then. When Perez redesigned Cheetah to look/be more like Tigra -- he was able to have her run around without any clothing. The bikini was just a means of appeasing the code -- but not covering all of the fur. Beast was wearing speedos throughout the Bronze Age, but is not considered a sex symbol -- even though in Michilene's run of Avengers -- they showed that he had female groupies.

She had a sports bra type of top on a variant cover of Amazing Spider-Man 17 that is a nice update. Still shows about the same amount of fur-- but she's no longer in a bikini. I think the creators didn't plan on putting her anything, but comics code wouldn't allow that back then. When Perez redesigned Cheetah to look/be more like Tigra -- he was able to have her run around without any clothing. The bikini was just a means of appeasing the code -- but not covering all of the fur. Beast was wearing speedos throughout the Bronze Age, but is not considered a sex symbol -- even though in Michilene's run of Avengers -- they showed that he had female groupies.
    Well, you don't have to be a sex symbol to have female groupies, just look at serial killers lol.
    I don't have a problem with Tirga being sexy or sexual at all, (it was kind of inevitable with a were-cat woman in a bikini) I just don't think it needs to be such a defining feature of her character. I think part of it stems from being in guest-star limbo for so long or only part of a larger team. Writers have less room to give her and fall into what she's been known for. So many other characters react to her a "sexy" character. But anyway that's a different topic. What is it most people here would like to see Tigra wearing? What kind of costume would best compliment her look while not covering up that iconic skin? To be honest, I'd much rather she was in a simple bikini over the weird workout or biking outfits they seem to put her in these days. The bikini isn't exactly iconic, but I really don't like the modern tendency to make female characters look like they're going to the gym rather than superheroes.

Ultimate Member

Regarding the bikini, I did love the scene in Avenger's Academy where Emma Frost snarks to Tigra, "Love the outfit. And do not let anyone tell you that's not appropriate dress for a teacher, dear." (Coming from yet another person who probably hears that sort of comment about her own fashion choices.)