Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast
    Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

I miss Tigra...and her bikini.
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenixx9 View Post
    Naw, when I heard about that mess I thought the same thing.

Why give her a son if they are only going to never show anything about him? Such poor, poor storytelling!
    They probably don't show anything about little William (Tigra's son) because a) He's just a baby, and b) Tigra herself hasn't been around.

Kind of a funny thing. I find a lot of comic book fans hate the idea of characters having children because they think it sidelines characters, when 90% of the time it's the other way around. Other than the two Jessicas (Jones and Drew), and Susan Richards (who was written kind of like a '50s sitcom mom even before Franklin was born), most of the characters who were made into parents were ones that were kind of in and out of comics and who editorial probably didn't think they could do much with. Look at most of the ones in recent history: Tigra, Meggan, Jubilee, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by JudicatorPrime
    I don't get it, either. And if Skrull Pym is dead, that makes Greer yet another single mom. How many single dad heroes are there?
    There's Scott Lang right now, but there was also Thunderstrike back in the day. Anyway, while there is probably a need for more single dad heroes, the fact that she's a single mother by circumstance is probably the point. I noticed an uptick in the number of super-parents lately as well as more old ones being brought out of limbo in the past decade or so and it's probably to give love to more types of families. Spider-Woman is a single mother by choice. Tigra's a single mother by circumstance. Madame Webb (Julia Carpenter) is a divorced mother. Scott Lang is a divorced dad. Jubilee is a single, adoptive mom. Janet van Dyne is Hope's stepmother (sort of). Cannonball and Smasher are a young married couple with a child. It's probably to show, when they feel they can (like I said, previously sidelined characters) that the Reed and Sue Richards sitcom family isn't the only kind that works.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by AdamFTF View Post
    They probably don't show anything about little William (Tigra's son) because a) He's just a baby, and b) Tigra herself hasn't been around.

Kind of a funny thing. I find a lot of comic book fans hate the idea of characters having children because they think it sidelines characters, when 90% of the time it's the other way around. Other than the two Jessicas (Jones and Drew), and Susan Richards (who was written kind of like a '50s sitcom mom even before Franklin was born), most of the characters who were made into parents were ones that were kind of in and out of comics and who editorial probably didn't think they could do much with. Look at most of the ones in recent history: Tigra, Meggan, Jubilee, etc.

There's Scott Lang right now, but there was also Thunderstrike back in the day. Anyway, while there is probably a need for more single dad heroes, the fact that she's a single mother by circumstance is probably the point. I noticed an uptick in the number of super-parents lately as well as more old ones being brought out of limbo in the past decade or so and it's probably to give love to more types of families. Spider-Woman is a single mother by choice. Tigra's a single mother by circumstance. Madame Webb (Julia Carpenter) is a divorced mother. Scott Lang is a divorced dad. Jubilee is a single, adoptive mom. Janet van Dyne is Hope's stepmother (sort of). Cannonball and Smasher are a young married couple with a child. It's probably to show, when they feel they can (like I said, previously sidelined characters) that the Reed and Sue Richards sitcom family isn't the only kind that works.
    William's not been forgotten. The last time Tigra showed up in a character role, in Wasp, William showed up too. He's been aged up to toddler, though.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    William's not been forgotten. The last time Tigra showed up in a character role, in Wasp, William showed up too. He's been aged up to toddler, though.
    Oh, that's nice. Hopefully his age-up doesn't get inexplicably reversed like Shogo's. I know they don't want to age characters, but for a baby it's just a few months to get to the point of being ambulatory.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by AdamFTF View Post
    Oh, that's nice. Hopefully his age-up doesn't get inexplicably reversed like Shogo's. I know they don't want to age characters, but for a baby it's just a few months to get to the point of being ambulatory.
    Its better justified with William, at least. Tigra's pregnancy was so quick it was off screen, lol

Extraordinary Member

That’s nothing compared to Moon Knight’s daughter Diatrice.

How does everyone here feel about Tigra and the supernatural? For a mystically enhanced person, the supernatural bit has been pretty underplayed with her character, no? Should it be developed more? Should Marvel try to fix the convoluted mess of the "Cat People"? Should she become more of a supernatural hero? I know there are others who would rather her just be a street level type. Should she really just be some sort of detective with cat powers like the original "Cat"? Should the two be combined? A supernatural detective or some sort? Perhaps under the tutelage of Dr. Strange, in a minor recurring role?

Quote Originally Posted by Doombot View Post
    How does everyone here feel about Tigra and the supernatural? For a mystically enhanced person, the supernatural bit has been pretty underplayed with her character, no? Should it be developed more? Should Marvel try to fix the convoluted mess of the "Cat People"? Should she become more of a supernatural hero? I know there are others who would rather her just be a street level type. Should she really just be some sort of detective with cat powers like the original "Cat"? Should the two be combined? A supernatural detective or some sort? Perhaps under the tutelage of Dr. Strange, in a minor recurring role?
    I proposed her being a detective of sorts once. If I were to make a completely new continuity, I might make her a human-cat person hybrid with her dad being human and her mom being a cat person.

And since she is a supernatural creature, I might also take a few liberties with her powers. Greater speed and strength, turning into a tiger for increased speed, sensing magic, seeing beyond human sight, etc.

Jennifer Kale and a cat person sorceress could make for nice supporting characters.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    I proposed her being a detective of sorts once. If I were to make a completely new continuity, I might make her a human-cat person hybrid with her dad being human and her mom being a cat person.

And since she is a supernatural creature, I might also take a few liberties with her powers. Greater speed and strength, turning into a tiger for increased speed, sensing magic, seeing beyond human sight, etc.

Jennifer Kale and a cat person sorceress could make for nice supporting characters.
    I'd like to see something similar. I think you can fix the current continuity considering how obscure the "Land Within" and the Cat People mythos are. I don't think there would be riots if that mythos was overhauled. I think Tigra needs a new adventure there where we better understand the place, and Tigra herself learns she has untapped powers.

Astonishing Member

"Supernatural/horror" seemed to be where they were initially trying to go with the character. Considering her being referred to as a "were-woman" and the fact that she appeared in books like Giant-Size Creatures, Monsters on the Loose and Marvel Chillers. The thing is, it feels like she joined the Marvel Horror trend too late. By the time she was making appearances in the regular color comics, there was nothing particularly chilling about Marvel Chillers, her stories having no horror or supernatural vibe at all and instead being about her taking on The Rat Pack (who kind of felt like a Hydra-lite), Kraven the Hunter and the Super-Skrull in regular superhero adventures. After that, I think she got attached to a few different trends. She was interpreted as a "jungle" character for a little while. Christina Z when she wrote her miniseries seemed to go for a slightly racy crime fiction thing. Usually, she's just kind of another Avenger but with a really memorable design.

I mean, I like the supernatural angle, but that might just be because I'm tickled by the fact that if you include her you can recreate almost the entire cast of Capcom's first Darkstalkers game with Marvel Horror characters (Bishamon is the only one without an analogue).

Personally, I'm not really sure what they could do with Tigra to give her more prominence. And I have no idea what to do with the Cat-People. Marvel has like a million "hidden peoples" already and it seems almost impossible to make all of them distinct.

I think if you're going to have this mystically powered cat-woman, you should just go full out with it. Get someone who wants to build fun lore and new powers. Get Dr. Strange involved, Mephisto, Belasco, Cat-God(s), explain to the readers why the Cat-warriors exist, why the "Land Within" seems to be in Hell. The Cat-People are or are not demons? Add some horror back in, how does Greer cope with being connected to this madness? Why was she given this power? Etc Etc, I'd be in for sure.

Fantastic Member

Personally, I've always been fine with her origin and connection to the Cat People, it gives her a unique angle, rather than having yet another generic origin story of being a mutant or genetically enhanced. You would just need a good writer who was really interested in delving into that background, clearing up some points and fleshing them out.

Ultimate Member

I think if you're going to have this mystically powered cat-woman, you should just go full out with it. Get someone who wants to build fun lore and new powers. Get Dr. Strange involved, Mephisto, Belasco, Cat-God(s), explain to the readers why the Cat-warriors exist, why the "Land Within" seems to be in Hell. The Cat-People are or are not demons? Add some horror back in, how does Greer cope with being connected to this madness? Why was she given this power? Etc Etc, I'd be in for sure.
    Definitely. Are there ties between the 'demon cat-people' and the witches of New Salem? Is Ebony, for instance, actually one of them, hanging out in cat-form (and, occasionally, panther form!) as Agatha Harkness' familiar? Any ties to Bast, perhaps even pre-Wakanda ties to Bast, from her time in Egypt, and perhaps connected to her ancient enmity with Set? (Which could end up involving Tigra in plots to foil serpentfolk schemes involving reviving or releasing Set, or teaming her up with some of the Dora Milaje.) Does their demony-hell-realm brush up against various other netherworlds, and result in them having historical interactions with various hell-lords, or other exiles like Azazel, or dimensional despots like Dormammu or Tiboro, or ties to mystical entities like the Octessence (Cytorrak, Watoomb, etc.)?

The Marvel universe is crazy filled with angles she could be connected to, through these cat-peeps.

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    Definitely. Are there ties between the 'demon cat-people' and the witches of New Salem? Is Ebony, for instance, actually one of them, hanging out in cat-form (and, occasionally, panther form!) as Agatha Harkness' familiar? Any ties to Bast, perhaps even pre-Wakanda ties to Bast, from her time in Egypt, and perhaps connected to her ancient enmity with Set? (Which could end up involving Tigra in plots to foil serpentfolk schemes involving reviving or releasing Set, or teaming her up with some of the Dora Milaje.) Does their demony-hell-realm brush up against various other netherworlds, and result in them having historical interactions with various hell-lords, or other exiles like Azazel, or dimensional despots like Dormammu or Tiboro, or ties to mystical entities like the Octessence (Cytorrak, Watoomb, etc.)?

The Marvel universe is crazy filled with angles she could be connected to, through these cat-peeps.
    That's a book I want to read.

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post

There's also Thomas Fireheart aka the Puma if you're thinking of more possible connections.