Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    There's also Thomas Fireheart aka the Puma if you're thinking of more possible connections.
    There's a character who I haven't thought about in years, I've always liked him.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Devaishwarya View Post
    I miss Tigra...and her bikini.
    I miss Tigra as Greer Nalson: The Cat.

Astonishing Member

There's also Thomas Fireheart aka the Puma if you're thinking of more possible connections.
    In many ways, Puma might be connected to the Cat People. I feel that Tigra should have been a reoccurring character in the pages of Spider-Man as both a Police Officer (with the NYPD) and close ally (and friend) to Peter Parker. In retrospect, I feel that Greer Nelson should have migrated into the pages of Amazing Spider-Man (after The Cat mini series) as Peter ally instead of being turned into Tigra. The character should have been a completely different character instead of using Greer Nelson as its avatar. I would have loved to have seen more adventures between Spider-Man and The Cat....

Quote Originally Posted by Darthfury78 View Post
    In many ways, Puma might be connected to the Cat People. I feel that Tigra should have been a reoccurring character in the pages of Spider-Man as both a Police Officer (with the NYPD) and close ally (and friend) to Peter Parker. In retrospect, I feel that Greer Nelson should have migrated into the pages of Amazing Spider-Man (after The Cat mini series) as Peter ally instead of being turned into Tigra. The character should have been a completely different character instead of using Greer Nelson as its avatar. I would have loved to have seen more adventures between Spider-Man and The Cat....
    I agree. But Marvel thought the Cat was a flop. They were doing horror comics and thought by turning her into Tigra, she would do better. In a way, I guess Greer did achieve more popularity as Tigra. But yeah, I rather have Greer as The Cat

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenixx9 View Post
    I agree. But Marvel thought the Cat was a flop. They were doing horror comics and thought by turning her into Tigra, she would do better. In a way, I guess Greer did achieve more popularity as Tigra. But yeah, I rather have Greer as The Cat
    On the one hand, I like that she's Luke Cage strong, and Spider-Man fast. There aren't a ton of super-human scrapper ladies at that tier, either trending low/no-power like Black Widow and Mockingbird, or crazy strong like She-Hulk and Captain Marvel.

On the other hand, de-catting her and have her occupy a sort of supernatural-adjacent detective beat, like a female John Constantine, aware of the supernatural, and always getting tangled up in it, but not actually an active part of it with a costume and powers and codename, could be interesting as well.

On the gripping hand, it'd take a good writer to get mileage out of either. Right now, she kind of gets shortchanged for all her strength and power (getting manhandled by goons like the Hood, with no superhuman strength at all, when she can lift 5 tons and throw his punk *** across the block, as well as react and move faster than he can blink). And the MU is kind of full up on non-superpowered ladies like Misty and Colleen that, IMO, aren't getting their due either and putting Greer on that level kind of feels like setting her up to join their ranks...

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    On the one hand, I like that she's Luke Cage strong, and Spider-Man fast. There aren't a ton of super-human scrapper ladies at that tier, either trending low/no-power like Black Widow and Mockingbird, or crazy strong like She-Hulk and Captain Marvel.

On the other hand, de-catting her and have her occupy a sort of supernatural-adjacent detective beat, like a female John Constantine, aware of the supernatural, and always getting tangled up in it, but not actually an active part of it with a costume and powers and codename, could be interesting as well.

On the gripping hand, it'd take a good writer to get mileage out of either. Right now, she kind of gets shortchanged for all her strength and power (getting manhandled by goons like the Hood, with no superhuman strength at all, when she can lift 5 tons and throw his punk *** across the block, as well as react and move faster than he can blink). And the MU is kind of full up on non-superpowered ladies like Misty and Colleen that, IMO, aren't getting their due either and putting Greer on that level kind of feels like setting her up to join their ranks...
    Yeah, I can agree with this because good writing seems lacking all the way around.

I mean if Greer stayed as the Cat, she could get lost in the list of characters like Hellcat, Black Cat, Black Widow, Mockingbird, etc. But even as Tigra, Greer seems left out and by the wayside, when she has lots of cat-powers such as hightened hearing, sight, etc. which makes her a great character. Hopefully, some writer will realize all of this and use her appropriately!

Astonishing Member

Yeah, I can agree with this because good writing seems lacking all the way around.

I mean if Greer stayed as the Cat, she could get lost in the list of characters like Hellcat, Black Cat, Black Widow, Mockingbird, etc. But even as Tigra, Greer seems left out and by the wayside, when she has lots of cat-powers such as hightened hearing, sight, etc. which makes her a great character. Hopefully, some writer will realize all of this and use her appropriately!
    As The Cat, Greer had a lot of technical gear. She was also a feminist who was completing her Microbiology degree at The University of Chicago. What would make her different from the mentioned heroines is that she a Police Officer with the NYPD CSI Unit. This would be a super heroine/police officer series for Tigra. Imagine Greer working as both a Police Officer and a super heroine? It would be nice if Marvel also rebuild her past ties with Spider-Man and Jean DeWolf..

Anyone watched Bungo Stray Dogs? The main protagonist is a "were-tiger" whose power set seems like something Marvel could take inspiration from for Greer's power set. He's even a detective as a suggested Greer should be.

Quote Originally Posted by Darthfury78 View Post
    As The Cat, Greer had a lot of technical gear. She was also a feminist who was completing her Microbiology degree at The University of Chicago. What would make her different from the mentioned heroines is that she a Police Officer with the NYPD CSI Unit. This would be a super heroine/police officer series for Tigra. Imagine Greer working as both a Police Officer and a super heroine? It would be nice if Marvel also rebuild her past ties with Spider-Man and Jean DeWolf..
    What past ties?

Astonishing Member

What past ties?
    Like almost every other superhero in the Marvel Universe, Tigra has teamed up with Spider-Man a couple of times--both as The Cat and as Tigra. They don't have any close relationship though.
    Last edited by Dermie; 10-19-2020 at 02:15 PM. Reason: typo

Quote Originally Posted by Dermie View Post
    Like almost every other superhero in the Marvel Universe, Tigra has teamed up with Spider-Man a couple of times--both as The Cat and as Spider-Man. They don't have any close relationship though.
    Wait....what? She impersonated him?

Astonishing Member

Wait....what? She impersonated him?
    No, sorry, that was a rather amusing typo on my part. I meant to say as The Cat and as Tigra.

fixed now

No, sorry, that was a rather amusing typo on my part. I meant to say as The Cat and as Tigra.

fixed now
    Ooh, now that makes sense!

Ultimate Member

fixed now
    Spider-Tigra, Spider-Tigra, she does whatever a Spider or a Tiger could do!

Astonishing Member

The Cat team-up was pretty good. I think, though, that her book may have been cancelled by the time she appeared. The first MTU with Tigra and Kraven was excellent, but the latter one wasn't as good. It's not as terrible as some of the 80s MTU stories were, but it's just not as good as the ones written by Chris Claremont. The second Tigra team up features the return of a character last seen in Claws of the Cat #1.

Forgive me if it seems like I'm too focused on power levels but this was an observation I really wanted to talk about.

Has anyone noticed that beast humanoid characters in western superhero comics tend to be just barely above superhuman while in anime and manga it is much more normal for them to be on the higher tier (Rob Lucci from One Piece, Yoruichi and Komamura in Bleach, the Chimera Ants in Hunter x Hunter, Leona in Akame ga Kill). I wonder how much more powerful Tigra would be if she were a character from Japanese media.