Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Astonishing Member Timothy Hunter's Avatar

Default Any Fans of Will Payton Starman?

This iteration of Starman gets overshadowed by James Robinson's take on the character. However I consider Roger Stern's run to be as perfect a mainstream superhero ongoing could be.

Quote Originally Posted by Timothy Hunter View Post
    This iteration of Starman gets overshadowed by James Robinson's take on the character. However I consider Roger Stern's run to be as perfect a mainstream superhero ongoing could be.
    I’ve checked out and loved every other iteration but have never given Will a try. He’s on my list though.
    AKA FlashFreak
    Favorite Characters:
    DC: The Flash (Jay & Wally), Starman- Jack Knight, Stargirl, & Shazam!.
    MARVEL: Daredevil, Spider-Man (Peter Parker), & Doctor Strange.

Current Pulls: Not a thing!

I've read the first four issues in preparation for reading Invasion and I liked it.
    It's not a masterpiece by any means, but it's a pretty strong 80s comic.

Never read the Payton stuff.

And I got a legit bias when it comes to Starmen; unless their last name is Knight (or Whitmore, in the case of Stargirls), I don't care. In my mind, the mantle and legacy of Starman is utterly and completely the property of the Knight family (and Courtney's by extended family inheritance) and anyone else is just stealing.

My bias does kick me in the ass sometimes; I rather like Mikaal and Thom, as characters they're interesting and fun. But putting the "Starman" label on them just kills some of the joy I know I should otherwise be feeling with them.

I've heard good things about Payton and I've liked what little I've seen of him. If he went by another name I'd probably be all over it; he seems like the kind of character I like. I just can't get past the name.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post

And I got a legit bias when it comes to Starmen; unless their last name is Knight (or Whitmore, in the case of Stargirls), I don't care. In my mind, the mantle and legacy of Starman is utterly and completely the property of the Knight family (and Courtney's by extended family inheritance) and anyone else is just stealing.

My bias does kick me in the ass sometimes; I rather like Mikaal and Thom, as characters they're interesting and fun. But putting the "Starman" label on them just kills some of the joy I know I should otherwise be feeling with them.

I've heard good things about Payton and I've liked what little I've seen of him. If he went by another name I'd probably be all over it; he seems like the kind of character I like. I just can't get past the name.
    Well said, I tend to agree.
    AKA FlashFreak
    Favorite Characters:
    DC: The Flash (Jay & Wally), Starman- Jack Knight, Stargirl, & Shazam!.
    MARVEL: Daredevil, Spider-Man (Peter Parker), & Doctor Strange.

Current Pulls: Not a thing!

Payton is and always will be my favorite Starman.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

I love the amalgamation of Payton and Gavyn. The same being, with vague memories of each man's life. Payton's ultimate choice to stay in the prince's shoes, even if he isnt 100% on if that's actually his life- because the calling is so great. The needs of others are more important than his own neuroses. The love of Gavyn's wife being stronger than anything Will Payton ever had or felt in his own life on mundane Earth. I love the idea of a man who commits to the unknown, even if he doesn't understand it- because he knows in him that it is right.

Beautiful storytelling, there.

I love Jack Knight, and all the characters that populate his world.
    Last edited by Flash Gordon; 06-11-2020 at 08:03 PM.

Astonishing Member

Will Payton is my Starman.

One of the best, most classic superhero series. Jane was one of my favorite supporting cast members and I was excited when Robinson brought her back.

Astonishing Member Timothy Hunter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post

It's important to note that Jack Knight's brother, David Knight is introduced in issues 26-27 of the Will Payton Statman series, so fans of the James Robinson run might be interested in checking that out.

I grew up with Will and was so pissed when DC had Eclipse kill him that I refused to read Robinson's Starman, regardless of how acclaimed it was. And when it came to costumes, Will's 1st wasn't good, but there was no question his 2nd one was everything.
    STARMAN.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Alphaxman View Post
    I grew up with Will and was so pissed when DC had Eclipse kill him that I refused to read Robinson's Starman, regardless of how acclaimed it was. And when it came to costumes, Will's 1st wasn't good, but there was no question his 2nd one was everything.
    STARMAN.jpg
    I liked both costumes, and yeah, Will was ganked in favor of the Knights.
    There was absolutely nothing wrong w. a character having the name Starman who wasn’t connected to that legacy.
    It would actually have added a nice dimension to it all.

Quote Originally Posted by Riv86672 View Post
    There was absolutely nothing wrong w. a character having the name Starman who wasn’t connected to that legacy.
    Generally I agree with the sentiment. But it was Robinson's run that really got me into the character and legacy so I have that "first exposure" bias, on top of two observations; one of my own and one from (I think) Robinson.

I think it was Robinson who pointed out that in the Golden Age, Ted Knight was the only baseline human who could go toe-to-toe with any of the super humans without the help of some magic lamp or alien technology or exotic compound. Hourman comes close, but never had the same degree of versatility and his time limit puts him at a huge disadvantage. Starman though? Can basically do anything a Superman can, any day of the week, any hour of the day, and he does it with nothing more than sheer human ingenuity and earthly resources. There's damn few heroes even today who can say that they could equal a super human without some kind of unique crutch to lean on, like "white dwarf star material" or whatnot. So in my head, Starman is kind of the embodiment of humanity's quest for knowledge, our thirst for learning and the power that can bring us, and I don't like the name being given to someone who doesn't further that theme.

And my own observation; the Knight family is basically the Kennedy's of the DCU. The family claims Presidents of the United States, senators, celebrities, actors, singers, scientists, secret government funded educators.....other than Jack (and David, I suppose) nearly every member of the Knight family is crazy successful and well connected. They might be the single most influential family in America, and they can trace their heroic tradition back to the earliest days of the superhero on top of all the rest. That's a pretty cool hook and a very deep well to pull from. It stands on its own as a concept but also ties the family to nearly every corner of the DCU. That's a hell of a story resource, and I'm loathe to see the Starman name given to someone who can't utilize or further develop that.
    Last edited by Ascended; 06-12-2020 at 02:13 PM.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

He did end up being connected though.

That's the beauty of Robinson's run, everything pays off. That scene where Jack and Will/Gavyn call each other brothers, god that gets me everytime.

Mikal, Will, Gavyn, Jack, David, Ted- a heroic tradition lives on.

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    He did end up being connected though.

That's the beauty of Robinson's run, everything pays off. That scene where Jack and Will/Gavyn call each other brothers, god that gets me everytime.

Mikal, Will, Gavyn, Jack, David, Ted- a heroic tradition lives on.
    Yeah, it was still a dick move, though.

Yeah, it was still a dick move, though.
    Beautiful storytelling.

Plus, Will Payton's world is HUGE by the end of the run. Hell, he's an even richer character. A man who's experienced significant losses, who's been really down- and has still risen to the occasion when needed. I've always longed to see a book exploring Will/Gavyn and his new relationship to his people and his wife.
    Last edited by Flash Gordon; 06-12-2020 at 05:21 PM.