Spectacular Member Kevin Street's Avatar

Default Question About "Legion of Super Heroes: The Silver Age"

Hi all,

I've started reading "Legion of Super Heroes: The Silver Age Volume 1" and I'm really enjoying it. I was thinking that this might be a good starting point for reading all of the classic Legion stories up to the Crisis, but I don't know if this series of collections is being continued. Does anybody know if DC plans to publish a Volume 2?

Vol 2 has been out for awhile now — vol 3 is scheduled for this summer, I believe.

Really? Thanks, that's great news! I can't find it on Amazon, though. Was Volume 2 exclusive to comic shops?

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Street View Post
    Really? Thanks, that's great news! I can't find it on Amazon, though. Was Volume 2 exclusive to comic shops?
    Nope, just searched for Legion of Super-heroes Silver Age Omnibus and there’s links to all three...

79FD97E3-E385-4B83-A938-7C279DAAAF98.jpg

Oh, the Omnibus editions are a different, much more expensive series. The one I'm reading is "Legion of Super Heroes: The Silver Age Vol 1." It's a paperback, and apparently part of a larger series of paperbacks DC is doing. There's "The Flash: The Silver Age" "Superman: The Golden Age" and so on. I think the Batman series has reached The Bronze Age.

Oh, the Omnibus editions are a different, much more expensive series. The one I'm reading is "Legion of Super Heroes: The Silver Age Vol 1." It's a paperback, and apparently part of a larger series of paperbacks DC is doing. There's "The Flash: The Silver Age" "Superman: The Golden Age" and so on. I think the Batman series has reached The Bronze Age.
    I understand now, my mistake. Mentioning that you were interested in trades would probably have been clearer. Most would assume you’re referring to the omnis because that’s the more popular format on this board generally They’ve only done one TPB under that branding for the Legion so far.

You’re better off saving up and buying the omnis, which feature much much more material and are oversized (hence the higher price tag.) instocktrades.com will get you the best prices if you’re in the States too. At the rate DC is publishing the trades, it’ll be decades before they even collect the material in trade paperback that’s been in the first omni, let alone three omnis!

I think these "LoSH- Silver age, "Batman- the golden age" etc paperbacks are basically a budget versions of the omnibuses and they come out in correlation to those. So if we get a a volume 1 omnibus of something, shortly after we will get the first volume in tpb too, which will probably collect half the material the omnibus had (that was the case with the ones I used to have, Superman, Batman and JLA).
    So 2 of these trades = 1 omnibus.

Now I understand if you don't want to spend more money, although when you add up the numbers I think the prices difference won't be that significant + you get a premium product compared to a paperback.
    I also understand if the omnibuses are too cumbersome to read, but as far as I know these Golden and Silver age volumes are not 1000+ pg tomes.

However, the release schedule seems to be much slower for the paperbacks, someone might correct me, but I think by the time we get 3 omnibuses for one characters, we will also have 3 tpbs but since those only collect half the material you'll have to wait twice as long for it to catch up (and there is always DC's infamous tendency to just randomly cancel things).

All-New Member

I'm also picking up my silver age in the trades. It can be a bit frustrating that there is such a delay between the omnis that the material was restored for and the budget version but given that I find the older stuff less of a quick read than most modern books I quite like having it in smaller chunks. I'm not overly happy about the change in trade dress on the latest releases, don't see how changing up the covers is going to bring in people who weren't already picking them up and I liked the retro design, although I understand at least the spines haven't changed which is something. We've seen books solicited, cancelled and resolicited with the new trade dress (Doom Patrol vol 2) and books cancelled that have yet to be resolicited at all (Adam Strange) so while it would certainly be nice to see more LoSH I guess the line is being driven by sales and Flash, Green Lantern and Justice League have been the priority for getting multiple books out.

Jesus Christ, redeemer! The Whovian's Avatar

Try CheapGraphicNovels.com

They have a great selection of books and come packaged extremely well.
    “Now faith, hope, and love remain, and the greatest of these is love.”--1 Corinthians 13:13

“You had a dream; I have a plan”--Cyclops

“There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes.”--The Doctor