Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by darkalamator View Post
    Only Amara that we know of....
    was that ever made canon? I know Claremont wrote that in his Forever series but I dont recall any other writer using that

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    was that ever made canon? I know Claremont wrote that in his Forever series but I dont recall any other writer using that
    I think Forever was a re-use, and not the origination. I forget what issue Nova Roma was first in. *looks it up* New mutants #9 in 1983.

It was canon (Selene said so) at New Mutants #54 from 1987. In that issue the NM and the Hellions chase down Viper and the Silver Samurai for an statuette that Amara claims to be a forgery of the original that is kept in New Roma at her fatherīs house. The statuette is supposed to represent an ancestor of Amara. Selene says she is the one.
    Primum vivere deindre philosophare

Selene and Amara have a somehow complicated relationship.. Amara is also the one Selene chose to impersonate in the Kulan Gath saga. Claremont has this thing in his head about grownup women having complicated relationshios with girls.. Emma and Kitty, Mystique and Rogue, Selene and Rachel and Amara... God knows what goes inside that head!

It was canon (Selene said so) at New Mutants #54 from 1987. In that issue the NM and the Hellions chase down Viper and the Silver Samurai for an statuette that Amara claims to be a forgery of the original that is kept in New Roma at her fatherīs house. The statuette is supposed to represent an ancestor of Amara. Selene says she is the one.
    I never took that as proof. Selene could have been lying and it was left so vague bc it wasnt followed up on.

In Uncanny X-Men #208 Selene "swears" using the term "shimakh". Shimakh was the king who ruled over all the Jinn from The Story of Janshah from the book of The Thousand and One Nights, who had once been a prisoner of King Solomon.

So in Chris's conception of Selene, she appears to have been in Jerusalem for a time!?

However, we know Selene was around during the Hyborian Age which was way before Judaism and Roman culture had begun. One learns to swear by the standards of the society they grow up in, but Selene seemed to have been pre-Roman culture/Judaism, so would be too old. On the other hand, she probably was in Rome for a long time and Nova Roma after that… but that means not a good clue to indicate Selene’s origin….

This would seem to suggest Selene was likely a name she adopted to insinuate herself into Roman or Nova Roman culture!?

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

That's an interesting idea.
    What would be the Hyborian equivalent of Selene/Luna? The Hyborian word for "Moon".
    As she would have been the Goddess Selene the Greeks worshipped (the Roman equivalent is Luna)...they were the ones to name her.
    Last edited by Devaishwarya; 07-15-2020 at 08:16 AM.
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

Isnt Selene a Tytan? before the Greek Gods... so Selene was maybe worshipped when Selene was born

She's an External...not Titan (either of Greek or Marvel origin)
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

Extraordinary Member

How are these for her and Amara now that they live together in the island?

Selene and Amara have a somehow complicated relationship.. Amara is also the one Selene chose to impersonate in the Kulan Gath saga. Claremont has this thing in his head about grownup women having complicated relationshios with girls.. Emma and Kitty, Mystique and Rogue, Selene and Rachel and Amara... God knows what goes inside that head!

I miss all of those old stories with Selene. That pic has her looking scary and powerful, scary-powerful I'd say!

Where is Selene these days?

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenixx9 View Post
    I miss all of those old stories with Selene. That pic has her looking scary and powerful, scary-powerful I'd say!

Chilling on Krakoa. Probably plotting something.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenixx9 View Post

Unfortunately, Krakoa has an endless supply of fresh young mutant girls for her to snack on.

I want to see her face off with the original Black Queen whom she replaced, Jean Grey

Technically she didn't "replace" Jean as the Black Queen position was vacant since DPS ended.