Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Default Iron Man relaunches in September with Christopher Cantwell and CAFU

From the CBR front page: Marvel Relaunching Iron Man with Alex Ross-Designed Armor.

"I’m over the moon about getting a shot at writing the Golden Avenger," Cantwell said in a statement. "Since Bob Layton’s art in the 1980s captured my imagination as a kid, I’ve been fascinated by Iron Man, and in this new story run I’m aiming to explore the question: who should Iron Man be today? An angel? A god? Or just a humble man? Tony’s going to try and strip the idea of Iron Man all the way down to its metal core, something that will constantly be at odds with his giant ego. We’ll see if he can truly keep his arrogant self-image in check, even as others with god complexes set their sights on the entire universe."

If it's anything like his Doom series this looks like it will shake things up a bit for Tony...,.and can a time travel trip be far behind?

I don’t know what to expect from the writer. But I will give him a shot for Tony’s sake. Is that the Melter?

I've heard nothing but good things regarding Cantwell's Doom series, so I'm interested to see his take on Iron Man .

Boisterously Confused

The preview looks pretty good.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Watkins View Post
    I don’t know what to expect from the writer. But I will give him a shot for Tony’s sake. Is that the Melter?
    Could be....pretty sure that's the Controller in the upper left... and maybe Whiplash to his right

All RIGHT! Iron Man’s back!

Mandarin, Controller, Guardsman, Blizzard, Melter, Whiplash, a Mandroid, Crimson Dynamo, Unicorn, and Titanium Man.
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Mighty Member

I'm not at all familiar with the writer, but I'm totally fine with a new take on Tony. Slott's Iron Man kind of bombed for me.

That said, based on just this first look, I'm not at all excited about the new armor. It looks like something from the 80's. But I'll get used to it, I'm sure.

Quote Originally Posted by ZeroBG82 View Post
    I'm not at all familiar with the writer, but I'm totally fine with a new take on Tony. Slott's Iron Man kind of bombed for me.

That said, based on just this first look, I'm not at all excited about the new armor. It looks like something from the 80's. But I'll get used to it, I'm sure.
    Christopher Cantwell was nominated for an Eisner for the current Doctor Doom solo. I highly recommend it. He also has a couple other series: The Mask, She Could Fly and Everything if you want to try those out instead. He was one of the showrunners for Halt and Catch Fire

Did Ross give Iron Man a nose?
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    Could be....pretty sure that's the Controller in the upper left... and maybe Whiplash to his right
    Definitely the Melter.

I remember liking Cafu's work on the Vixen mini-series years ago. Glad to see his art again.

I wanna see more of the new armor, but i dont mind a little retro, in general.

It looks more like a 90's armor to me.

I'm not surprised it's retro-looking considering Alex Ross designed it.

Quote Originally Posted by Holt View Post
    I remember liking Cafu's work on the Vixen mini-series years ago. Glad to see his art again.
    Go read Jane Foster Valkyrie, he did the first arc.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman