Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default New Wonder Woman Villain: Liar Liar

As an enormous fan of the rogues galleries of various heroes, I am always a bit intrigued when writers attempt to add to that sandbox. It sounds like Mariko Tamaki, the new Wonder Woman writer, is jumping into that pretty early with a villain named Liar Liar, who will appear in the September issues of Wonder Woman.

From the solicitation for Wonder Woman #762....

"New Villain Alert: Liar Liar Debuts! Random acts of violence are breaking out all over the Earth, and Wonder Woman is closing in on the source. The problem? It looks like a new ally is to blame for the widespread pandemonium. Check out the debut of the deadly new villain Liar Liar in this issue, plus the shocking connection between this new threat and a face from the past..."

From the solicitation for Wonder Woman #763...

"A brand-new foe has made her presence known in the life of Wonder Woman, and Liar Liar isn’t going anywhere! In this issue, this unhinged young villain is revealed as the mastermind behind the psychic phenomenon spreading chaos across the globe—but is there more to her than meets the eye? Maxwell Lord is about to find out the hard way, with a bombshell that will shake the smarmy mogul to his core. Can Max trust someone who so ruthlessly uses deception to manipulate her opponents in the first place?"

Wonder Woman certainly has a history with deception-themed villains, with The Duke of Deception first appearing way back in Wonder Woman #2 (1942).

Any early thoughts/predictions/hopes regarding this new villain?

Obviously have to wait and see but hard to get too interested in new villains created for WW since they're usually abandoned fairly quickly.

I'm glad she's female at least.

What's her gimmick? She tells a lie and it becomes real? The cover makes it seem like she can project animals.

Maybe she's a modernization of Deception's daughter Lya. But yeah, Maxwell Lord AND a new villain? They really don't want me excited for this run, huh.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I'm glad she's female at least.

What's her gimmick? She tells a lie and it becomes real? The cover makes it seem like she can project animals.
    Sounds like Queen of Fables.

Maybe shes a telepath like Max Lord

Incredible Member

I wonder if she's going to be the child Max didn't know he had? His powers are psychic in nature, and I guess that would be a "shocking connection."

Well, I'm stopping my WW subscription after Orlando is gone.
    Zaldrīzes Buzdari Iksos Daor

I'm here for the duration. How bad could it be? Well yeah, very, but I've sat through horrible runs before.

Besides I like Liar Liar's name, design and the energy snakes look cool, but it's safe to say my pants aren't on fire.

WW V LIAR LIAR wonderwoman763a.jpg

Sounds like another surplus garbage-villain, for Wonder Woman. As if she was running low on them...?
    Last edited by Mel Dyer; 06-12-2020 at 08:49 PM.
    COMBINING THE BIGBADITUDE OF THANOS WITH CHEETAH'S FEROCITY, IS JANUS WONDER WOMAN'S GREATEST SUPERVILLAIN?...on WONDABUNGA!!! Look alive, Kangaliers!

I stopped buying during Finch and also during GWW. Nothing here looks too good and after that short in the she wrote in issue #750, I don't think I could support it. Maybe I'll get the first arch but, usually it goes down after.
    Zaldrīzes Buzdari Iksos Daor

I’m wondering if she’s the daughter of circe. Since she comes from someone of Diana's past.

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nyssane View Post
    Maybe she's a modernization of Deception's daughter Lya. But yeah, Maxwell Lord AND a new villain? They really don't want me excited for this run, huh.

Right? Wonder Woman needs a new villain like she needs a hole in her head with so many of her rogues sitting in limbo for decades. With the exception of Mikel Janin's art, nothing else from the solicits for this run has me excited.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

I can be as critical of how DC handles Wonder Woman as anyone else here, but I think there is a problem here of being critical before the fact.

Mariko Tamaki has done nothing to deserve any ire. I didn't find her story in WW 750 that great, but it wasn't actively bad either—just bland. But I liked Supergirl: Being Super. Harley Quinn: Breaking Glass was very well-received even if the story setup didn't grab me, and she's done a decent to good job with the various shorts in the seasonal specials that DC has put out.

I'm not going to judge a new character before I've seen them properly. I do think it's bad that Maxwell Lord is foisted upon us again, but I judge that to be above the head of the poor writer. As for solicitations, capsule synopsis like that can barely never give a decent feel for the story.
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

I’m in wait-and-see mode.

Her design is kinda meh for a Wonder Woman villain.