Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Devaishwarya View Post
    Probably/Probably not, I don't know...I'm not concerned with what the general fandom commonly asks about male superheroes.
    I am asking it of Wonder Woman.
    It's just strange that you're asking that of the only major comic book series that features a predominantly female rogues gallery.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Why does it have to be yet another female villain?
    With the exception of Maxwell Lord and Ares does Wonder Woman have any powerful male villains in her Rogues Gallery?
    She's got Dr. Psycho, who is thematically her more important male villain, and the likes of Angle Man, sometimes Hercules, and Ares's sons.
    She really doesn't need any more. The appeal of the WW franchise is to use women in the majority of the important roles to counter how female characters are in the minority in every other major franchise. This means her rogues gallery should primarily consist of a variety of villainous women.

Not that she needs yet more new villains period right now. The stability of her rogues gallery is so shaky that adding more and more doesn't help or create incentive for another writer to keep the new ones around instead of making their own.

Hmm... the new villainess’ unassuming design is a plus if you ask me. Doesn’t guarantee the story will be a winner, but sometimes less is more. Capes and armor and epaulets and insignias, etc., are a dime a dozen.

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    She's got Dr. Psycho, who is thematically her more important male villain, and the likes of Angle Man, sometimes Hercules, and Ares's sons.
    She really doesn't need any more. The appeal of the WW franchise is to use women in the majority of the important roles to counter how female characters are in the minority in every other major franchise. This means her rogues gallery should primarily consist of a variety of villainous women.

Not that she needs yet more new villains period right now. The stability of her rogues gallery is so shaky that adding more and more doesn't help or create incentive for another writer to keep the new ones around instead of making their own.

Truth! Look at how many of Diana's new villains from the last 10 years that were one run and done wonders:

Abolith
    Aegeus II(Finch version)
    Baundo
    Cassandra
    Catseye
    Dark Multiverse Gods
    Dr. Poison III(Finch version)
    First Born

Do we really need to add more bodies to this list of disposables?
    Last edited by Dr. Poison; 06-14-2020 at 04:41 PM.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post

I can understand the necessity for more female villains but just because Wonder Woman is a woman does not mean they all have to appear in her book and...when they do, they're not written as very memorable...and yes, disposable. A lot of vengeance and anger issues but very little else. Even Circe and Cheetah have fallen into that trite characterisation from time to time.

If we have to have another female villain for WW, can she be at least on the level and scale of...Enchantress or Morgaine Le Fay, or even Perpetua. Someone who can be an actual challenge.
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

I can understand the necessity for more female villains but just because Wonder Woman is a woman does not mean they all have to appear in her book and...when they do, they're not written as very memorable...and yes, disposable. A lot of vengeance and anger issues but very little else. Even Circe and Cheetah have fallen into that trite characterisation from time to time.

If we have to have another female villain for WW, can she be at least on the level and scale of...Enchantress or Morgaine Le Fay, or even Perpetua. Someone who can be an actual challenge.
    Honestly I think we got some theoretically good ones with Grail and Warmaster. Although Grail hasn't lived up to her potential, that potential is still there. She's at least a formidable opponent and she and Warmaster both have great designs.

Quote Originally Posted by Largo161 View Post
    Hmm... the new villainess’ unassuming design is a plus if you ask me. Doesn’t guarantee the story will be a winner, but sometimes less is more. Capes and armor and epaulets and insignias, etc., are a dime a dozen.
    I agree, it's a refreshing change from what we usually get. You can be understated and still make a statement.

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

Yes. I really liked Grail...but she really wasn't written to her true potential.
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Nyssane View Post
    Maybe she's a modernization of Deception's daughter Lya. But yeah, Maxwell Lord AND a new villain? They really don't want me excited for this run, huh.
    I hope so. I love it when a villain is modernized.

Soooo Jim Carey has a Daughter lol

I like the look and the concept. She seems like a villain that will really appeal to the current generation of readers, if the current generation even reads comics. If Batman can have Punchline, certainly Wonder Woman can have Liar Liar.
    Author of the Instant New York Times bestselling novel, The Prophets, from G.P. Putnman's Sons.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by SonOfBaldwin View Post
    I like the look and the concept. She seems like a villain that will really appeal to the current generation of readers, if the current generation even reads comics. If Batman can have Punchline, certainly Wonder Woman can have Liar Liar.
    But Punchline looks cool.

Quote Originally Posted by PopQuezy View Post
    But Punchline looks cool.
    And I think Liar Liar looks cool, too. I understand that others may not feel the same way.
    Author of the Instant New York Times bestselling novel, The Prophets, from G.P. Putnman's Sons.

Jewish & Proud Feminist Shadowcat's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nyssane View Post
    Is this a common question fans ask about male superheroes with male villains?
    The more powerful women added to the mythology, and medium, the better.
    Comic-Watch Reviewer

Titles:
    /Doctor Strange/Captain Marvel\Scarlet Witch\
    /Iron Man/Captain Britain/Wasp\X-Men\
    /JSA\/X-Treme X-Men\/WILDCATS\

https://comic-watch.com/author/baradtzgmail-com

Quote Originally Posted by Koriand'r View Post
    I'm here for the duration. How bad could it be? Well yeah, very, but I've sat through horrible runs before.

Besides I like Liar Liar's name, design and the energy snakes look cool, but it's safe to say my pants aren't on fire.

Attachment 97527
    Hm that design looks kinda plain. Guessing she’s Max’s daughter?

I’m still wait and she about her, but she’s also giving me a slightly sinister Where’s Waldo vibe.