A Green Unpleasant Man Rob London's Avatar

Default Marvel Settles Fight Over Spider-Man, Doctor Strange Rights

From the Hollywood Reporter: "Attorneys for the company and the estate of Steve Ditko on Wednesday notified the court that they’ve reached an amicable settlement and expect a stipulation of dismissal with prejudice to be filed in the coming weeks."

Good. I hope the Ditko family got a healthy settlement.

The Kirby estate did this same thing years ago and it seems like they got a healthy settlement. Hopefully both the Kirby and Ditko estates got healthy settlements.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rob London View Post
    From the Hollywood Reporter: "Attorneys for the company and the estate of Steve Ditko on Wednesday notified the court that they’ve reached an amicable settlement and expect a stipulation of dismissal with prejudice to be filed in the coming weeks."

Good. I hope the Ditko family got a healthy settlement.
    The Ditko family should get a good settlement. Especially because a picture of a teenage Steve Ditko made me think of Peter Parker, so this is his baby far more then Stan Lee.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by NC_Yankee View Post
    The Ditko family should get a good settlement. Especially because a picture of a teenage Steve Ditko made me think of Peter Parker, so this is his baby far more then Stan Lee.
    ...and yet, we can't help but to mention Stan Lee.

Unfortunate that Ditko NEVER returned to his "baby" at any point once his time with the character was done.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by wleakr View Post
    ...and yet, we can't help but to mention Stan Lee.

Unfortunate that Ditko NEVER returned to his "baby" at any point once his time with the character was done.
    I wonder what Ditko thought about the success of Spider-Man and the fact that so many of his creations have stood the test of time. Otto, Norman, JJJ etc.

I wonder what Ditko thought about the success of Spider-Man and the fact that so many of his creations have stood the test of time. Otto, Norman, JJJ etc.
    Ditko actually wrote plenty of essays and shared his thoughts on this, particularly in the early 2000s. I forget where they're consolidated, but I know they're out there somewhere.
    https://www.reddit.com/r/blankies/co...ually_wrote_a/
    Join the "Spider-Fam" Community! - Celebrating Love and Advocating for Our Hero to Beat the Devil! - https://discord.gg/VQ2mHzBBFu

Good to know. They should have settled this a long time ago.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Garlador View Post
    Ditko actually wrote plenty of essays and shared his thoughts on this, particularly in the early 2000s. I forget where they're consolidated, but I know they're out there somewhere.
    https://www.reddit.com/r/blankies/co...ually_wrote_a/
    Thank you for that posting, I never knew a lot of the information ( especially about Stan Lee wanting to knock off JJJ). It is interesting that JJJ like The Grinch, Archie Bunker and Gordon Gekko, started out to be universally despised, but has become a beloved figure over the years, and Ditko turned out to be correct in not knocking him off. The one thing that does not shock me is once again, Stan Lee looks worse and worse.
    Last edited by NC_Yankee; 12-09-2023 at 11:28 AM.

Thank you for that posting, I never knew a lot of the information ( especially about Stan Lee wanting to knock off JJJ). It is interesting that JJJ like The Grinch, Archie Bunker and Gordon Gekko, started out to be universally despised, but has become a beloved figure over the years, and Ditko turned out to be correct in not knocking him off. The one thing that does not shock me is once again, Stan Lee looks worse and worse.
    I don't know: I'm as impressed by editors who recognise that they're wrong and the writers are correct than by editors who are always right.
    That doesn't excuse Lee from hogging writing credits that he didn't really deserve. But from the narrow point of view of the artistic product (rather than the moral point of view) I think Lee was a great editor.
    Petrus Maria Johannaque sunt nubendi