Page 17 of 50 FirstFirst ... 713141516171819202127 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Spider-Chan View Post
    It comes out this week!
    Y'know... That cover makes me think, did Anya ever actually use the backpack to carry stuff? 'Cause with the backpack and the pouches on her wrist, she could carry a lot of stuff, which could be helpful when fighting by having something besides Bola to use.

Also interesting to note that the carapace specifically covers the backpack and the wrist pouches.

Kinda funny that the Spider-Girl costume is a downgrade in practicality lol.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lukmendes View Post
    Y'know... That cover makes me think, did Anya ever actually use the backpack to carry stuff? 'Cause with the backpack and the pouches on her wrist, she could carry a lot of stuff, which could be helpful when fighting by having something besides Bola to use.

Also interesting to note that the carapace specifically covers the backpack and the wrist pouches.

Kinda funny that the Spider-Girl costume is a downgrade in practicality lol.
    The Spider-Girl costume was a hand-me-down from Julia Carpenter, though I am otherwise with you on Anya-as-Arana being generally the superior iteration of the character. At the very least, it was a lot more original and unique compared to making her just another spider-powered hero.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    The Spider-Girl costume was a hand-me-down from Julia Carpenter, though I am otherwise with you on Anya-as-Arana being generally the superior iteration of the character. At the very least, it was a lot more original and unique compared to making her just another spider-powered hero.
    There's only two things you can argue that Anya as Spider-Girl has over Anya as Araņa, the enemies she deals with, and the costume, and yes, both are moot points and the costume one depends on someone's preference lol.

I've said it many times before, I probably sound like a broken record, but a huge problem with Araņa's comic is that Sisterhood of Wasp sucks, and they're the only villains Anya deals with, and she doesn't even deal with many members, just that magician guy, and that Egyptian kid most times, and I think besides those two, there were only two others, that chick with poisonous skin, who showed up once, and that guy with hypnotism powers, who had a personal history with Anya.

Yes, I'm terrible with names lol.

But yeah, to have only those guys, in 18 issues, that's a very small number for a super-hero comic, but hey, it could work, quality over quantity and all that, but the villains are still rather basic, so it was kinda eh...

It's honestly sad that when I was reading Anya's tie-in to Spider-Island, where the Sisterhood of Wasp shows up again, and they're mutated into Wasp monsters, I was more hyped with their presence in those two issues than the 19 other issues in Araņa and Hunter Revealed lol.

So yeah, at least this is one thing I'll say that Spider-Girl has over Araņa, 'cause since she's not limited to Sisterhood of Wasp, she ended up dealing with more interesting villains, even if recycled from someone else, and that's also a problem Spider-Girl has, since Araņa did try to mark Anya's identity by giving her her own rogues gallery instead of stealing someone else's, so while I still think that as far as who she fought, Spider-Girl had more interesting opponents, Araņa had her thing when it comes to who she deals with, instead of stealing from someone else.

As for costumes, again, just a preference in looks, I care less about Spider-Girl's 'cause it's just Julia's, and even if it wasn't that, it's too similar to Venom's style, so original is more interesting for me.

Honestly, if she were to get another on-going, I think she should go back to dealing with Sisterhood of Wasp, but avoid the mistake or making her deal only with them, episodic comics that only deal with so few villains can end up being less interesting, unless the villains are good, but that wasn't the case, so once in a while have her punch some other villain in the face while doing everyday hero stuff.

Then again, if she were to get another on-going, I'd like an explanation to what the **** happened with Sisterhood of Wasp, 'cause in Araņa they were mostly humans (The one possible exception is that "Totem" dude from Hunter Revealed), then in the Spider-Girl tie-in with Spider-Island, they're those Wasp monsters and Anya reacts like they were always like that, like what the hell lol.

One thing I thought the other day when I was checking out Black Tarantula's appearances (By the way, he was awesome in his brief ASM appearances, once he actually started to do stuff that is), you guys think he could be connected with Spider-Society? 'Cause Spider-Society has been around for almost 1000 years, and Black Tarantula for 800, so something could be there, like maybe Black Tarantulas could have something like be their hunter early on but then left, or if that's too direct, make it so they were indepedent groups who shared knowledge at some points, maybe that could explain why the hell Black Tarantula has powers like healing and optic blasts lol.

There's only two things you can argue that Anya as Spider-Girl has over Anya as Araņa, the enemies she deals with, and the costume, and yes, both are moot points and the costume one depends on someone's preference lol.

I've said it many times before, I probably sound like a broken record, but a huge problem with Araņa's comic is that Sisterhood of Wasp sucks, and they're the only villains Anya deals with, and she doesn't even deal with many members, just that magician guy, and that Egyptian kid most times, and I think besides those two, there were only two others, that chick with poisonous skin, who showed up once, and that guy with hypnotism powers, who had a personal history with Anya.

Yes, I'm terrible with names lol.

But yeah, to have only those guys, in 18 issues, that's a very small number for a super-hero comic, but hey, it could work, quality over quantity and all that, but the villains are still rather basic, so it was kinda eh...

It's honestly sad that when I was reading Anya's tie-in to Spider-Island, where the Sisterhood of Wasp shows up again, and they're mutated into Wasp monsters, I was more hyped with their presence in those two issues than the 19 other issues in Araņa and Hunter Revealed lol.

So yeah, at least this is one thing I'll say that Spider-Girl has over Araņa, 'cause since she's not limited to Sisterhood of Wasp, she ended up dealing with more interesting villains, even if recycled from someone else, and that's also a problem Spider-Girl has, since Araņa did try to mark Anya's identity by giving her her own rogues gallery instead of stealing someone else's, so while I still think that as far as who she fought, Spider-Girl had more interesting opponents, Araņa had her thing when it comes to who she deals with, instead of stealing from someone else.

As for costumes, again, just a preference in looks, I care less about Spider-Girl's 'cause it's just Julia's, and even if it wasn't that, it's too similar to Venom's style, so original is more interesting for me.

Honestly, if she were to get another on-going, I think she should go back to dealing with Sisterhood of Wasp, but avoid the mistake or making her deal only with them, episodic comics that only deal with so few villains can end up being less interesting, unless the villains are good, but that wasn't the case, so once in a while have her punch some other villain in the face while doing everyday hero stuff.

Then again, if she were to get another on-going, I'd like an explanation to what the **** happened with Sisterhood of Wasp, 'cause in Araņa they were mostly humans (The one possible exception is that "Totem" dude from Hunter Revealed), then in the Spider-Girl tie-in with Spider-Island, they're those Wasp monsters and Anya reacts like they were always like that, like what the hell lol.

One thing I thought the other day when I was checking out Black Tarantula's appearances (By the way, he was awesome in his brief ASM appearances, once he actually started to do stuff that is), you guys think he could be connected with Spider-Society? 'Cause Spider-Society has been around for almost 1000 years, and Black Tarantula for 800, so something could be there, like maybe Black Tarantulas could have something like be their hunter early on but then left, or if that's too direct, make it so they were indepedent groups who shared knowledge at some points, maybe that could explain why the hell Black Tarantula has powers like healing and optic blasts lol.
    Yeah, those ideas could work, and bringing Black Tarantula back into the Spider-Books would be great as well.

Yeah, those ideas could work, and bringing Black Tarantula back into the Spider-Books would be great as well.
    Would be complicated to bring back Black Tarantula, since he was a good guy in Daredevil for a while, and while his personality change from Daredevil is some crap writing with no explanation (Went from a well spoken villain with an honor code, to some generic latino gangsta, before becoming a good guy, and Daredevil's flashbacks make it look like he was always like that), I don't think the same should be done to make Black Tarantula go back to the ASM characterization...

Maybe he could go back to being a villain with some excuse, but that's the smallest issue, he was awesome in ASM because of his personality, I didn't even care that much that he beat up Spidey that bad both times they fought, it's easy to make a villain do that, but to be such an interesting character in like, 5 issues when he actually starts to act? Yeah... That's good writing, but problem is that Daredevil's Black Tarantula has such a completely different personality that it's hard to justify how those two can be the same guy, much less make him go back to the original personality... Maybe I care about consistency too much, Marvel certainly doesn't lol.

Anyways, maybe I should re-read Araņa, taking a look at some pages, it feels like I didn't appreciate some stuff, maybe reading it a second time will be better.

Would be complicated to bring back Black Tarantula, since he was a good guy in Daredevil for a while, and while his personality change from Daredevil is some crap writing with no explanation (Went from a well spoken villain with an honor code, to some generic latino gangsta, before becoming a good guy, and Daredevil's flashbacks make it look like he was always like that), I don't think the same should be done to make Black Tarantula go back to the ASM characterization...

Maybe he could go back to being a villain with some excuse, but that's the smallest issue, he was awesome in ASM because of his personality, I didn't even care that much that he beat up Spidey that bad both times they fought, it's easy to make a villain do that, but to be such an interesting character in like, 5 issues when he actually starts to act? Yeah... That's good writing, but problem is that Daredevil's Black Tarantula has such a completely different personality that it's hard to justify how those two can be the same guy, much less make him go back to the original personality... Maybe I care about consistency too much, Marvel certainly doesn't lol.

Anyways, maybe I should re-read Araņa, taking a look at some pages, it feels like I didn't appreciate some stuff, maybe reading it a second time will be better.
    Perhaps, although while I didn't care that much for Ed Brubaker downgrading Black Tarantula compared to how he initially debuted in ASM, I did like the idea of him turning over a new leaf and trying to help people, which felt somewhat like a callback to the sense of honor he had as a crime boss in admiring Spider-Man's heroism even in the face of widespread public scorn and distrust. I could see Black Tarantula's return as kind of a mesh of those two aspects of his characterization(s), him rebuilding his empire as a means to help and protect people even though he might be going about it in a way that still has him contending with Spider-Man's (and other superheroes') suspicions and puts him in the sights of Mayor Wilson Fisk, the "former" Kingpin of Crime.

As for rereading Arana, I would definitely recommend that, as there was a lot of potential there in those early days.

They should go full supernatural with her rogue gallery. Or have the majority being of mystical origins.

Bring in some obscure and unused witches, demons, monsters, and vampires from across the MU as meanwhile you introduce more original villains. Expand the mythology of her original powers and the Sisterhood of the Wasps. Something along the lines of how Cates has expanded the symbiote mythos, do something along those lines with her exoskeleton.

The one exception would be June Covington. She can be Anya's archenemy, she has a grudge against her.

They should go full supernatural with her rogue gallery. Or have the majority being of mystical origins.

Bring in some obscure and unused witches, demons, monsters, and vampires from across the MU as meanwhile you introduce more original villains. Expand the mythology of her original powers and the Sisterhood of the Wasps. Something along the lines of how Cates has expanded the symbiote mythos, do something along those lines with her exoskeleton.

The one exception would be June Covington. She can be Anya's archenemy, she has a grudge against her.
    Sounds good to me, and yeah, bringing back June Covington as Anya's archenemy would be good, too.

Perhaps, although while I didn't care that much for Ed Brubaker downgrading Black Tarantula compared to how he initially debuted in ASM,
    It's actually funny that Brubaker remembered that BT is supposed to be super tough, since in Daredevil Annual#1 vol 2, Dakota says he's stronger than Spidey... But that became an informed attribute, 'cause in ASM, Spidey lasting longer against BT in the second fight only meant that he didn't get beaten up that bad, but was still clearly losing... Meanwhile in Daredevil he's, there, sometimes he fights well lol.

I did like the idea of him turning over a new leaf and trying to help people, which felt somewhat like a callback to the sense of honor he had as a crime boss in admiring Spider-Man's heroism even in the face of widespread public scorn and distrust.
    The idea of him becoming good is fine, problem is how they did it, since the story makes it look like he decided to do honorable **** now, when he had done so before, it ignores his ASM background (To the point he sold drugs in the Daredevil retcons, when he specifically was against them in ASM lol).

Of course, comics are comics, details won't match up that much, specially nowadays since they don't even bother to keep the previous version of the story in mind, but the whole problem I have with Daredevil's BT is that, his personality isn't even 10% as interesting as that awesome guy from ASM.

I could see Black Tarantula's return as kind of a mesh of those two aspects of his characterization(s), him rebuilding his empire as a means to help and protect people even though he might be going about it in a way that still has him contending with Spider-Man's (and other superheroes') suspicions and puts him in the sights of Mayor Wilson Fisk, the "former" Kingpin of Crime.
    The problem is managing to make the mesh work, the differences between ASM BT and Daredevil BT are almost as big as Peter as Spider-Man, and Otto as Spider-Man, a lot of traits are really not compatible lol.

As for rereading Arana, I would definitely recommend that, as there was a lot of potential there in those early days.
    I mean, potential is cool, but ultimately I'm not going to like a story more for having it if it's never used, and Araņa is a huge case of wasted potential, but there's still cool **** there.

While making her deal with magic villains is a good idea, it's better to have themes and limits, somewhat, to avoid situations where Anya ends up doing something like punching Undra in the face, and winning.

Plus it's also worth wondering how Anya would even use magic if she were to get her powers back, 'cause even back in Araņa, she had this magic that is explicitly said to be stronger than Miguel's magic powers, but even then her fighting style was still a brawler at its basic, and it didn't really seem like other hunters deviated from that, so what should be done? Her still being a brawler dealing with magic? Or get a few spells of her own to deal with magic? And if she gets magic powers, what kind? Something straight forward like web shaped tendrils? Or get some magic power that is unusual for a spider?

Maybe just the Carapace and the Hunter power up are enough to set her apart, but if she's gonna be the "Magic Spider", maybe something else could be given, but not go too far, 'cause just like Peter with gadgets and weird webbing, magic can go out of control really quickly with the kind of **** characters can get.

Anyways, when it comes to expanding mythos, I would prefer Ewing's approach, Cates' approach with Symbiote is essentially "Knull is behind everything", while Ewing does something similar, but there's more going on to his retcons than "TOBA is behind everything".

I'd say the difference is that Knull is more restrictive since he has to be involved in everything that defined symbiotes (The evilness? Knull. Their weaknesses? Knull), while TOBA is used to explain important elements behind Gamma beings, but there's still enough room for stuff that isn't his doing.

Also for Sisterhood of Wasp, **** man, they need something, we don't even know what their hunter does since the fucker was in a coma all the time, plus they worked together with Spider Society once upon a time, but separated 'cause of different morals or whatever, but maybe something more could be added? 'Cause we could get cool possibilities, like say, is there a Wasp god somewhere that they worship who wants to kill/replace the Great/Master/Whatever Weaver? Or maybe to make them be more than "Evil Spider-Society", there isn't one, but maybe they want to make one? (Specially considering that Great Weaver may have been Anansi, a human, originally, and while Great Weaver is pretty much retgone, Master Weaver has essentially no divinity too, as he's just Karn, pretty much a lab made vampire, watching over the Web of life, so "making a god" in a way isn't far fetched) Maybe they could even have a more scientific angle for some stuff, 'cause mix of magic and science can be interesting.

If we're going for grudges to make a character an archnemesis, I think that Nina Smith chick is a better candidate, since she has the original Hunter powers, blames Anya for Miguel's death, and specifically is taking a darker path because she's butthurt Miguel died, she also said something about Anya only returning a power that was rightfuly hers, so I wouldn't be surprised if she was pissed at Anya for stealing the power too, and there's a lot of potential here for her to be a foil/evil counterpart or whatever, June by comparison had the potential power she could get from that Terrigen Coccoon "stolen" by Anya, which while still enough to piss her off, it's way less personal than Nina.

Not saying June wouldn't work as a good villain, or even as recurring villain, just that I feel Nina has more potential as an archnemesis.

It's actually funny that Brubaker remembered that BT is supposed to be super tough, since in Daredevil Annual#1 vol 2, Dakota says he's stronger than Spidey... But that became an informed attribute, 'cause in ASM, Spidey lasting longer against BT in the second fight only meant that he didn't get beaten up that bad, but was still clearly losing... Meanwhile in Daredevil he's, there, sometimes he fights well lol.

The idea of him becoming good is fine, problem is how they did it, since the story makes it look like he decided to do honorable **** now, when he had done so before, it ignores his ASM background (To the point he sold drugs in the Daredevil retcons, when he specifically was against them in ASM lol).

Of course, comics are comics, details won't match up that much, specially nowadays since they don't even bother to keep the previous version of the story in mind, but the whole problem I have with Daredevil's BT is that, his personality isn't even 10% as interesting as that awesome guy from ASM.

The problem is managing to make the mesh work, the differences between ASM BT and Daredevil BT are almost as big as Peter as Spider-Man, and Otto as Spider-Man, a lot of traits are really not compatible lol.

I mean, potential is cool, but ultimately I'm not going to like a story more for having it if it's never used, and Araņa is a huge case of wasted potential, but there's still cool **** there.

While making her deal with magic villains is a good idea, it's better to have themes and limits, somewhat, to avoid situations where Anya ends up doing something like punching Undra in the face, and winning.

Plus it's also worth wondering how Anya would even use magic if she were to get her powers back, 'cause even back in Araņa, she had this magic that is explicitly said to be stronger than Miguel's magic powers, but even then her fighting style was still a brawler at its basic, and it didn't really seem like other hunters deviated from that, so what should be done? Her still being a brawler dealing with magic? Or get a few spells of her own to deal with magic? And if she gets magic powers, what kind? Something straight forward like web shaped tendrils? Or get some magic power that is unusual for a spider?

Maybe just the Carapace and the Hunter power up are enough to set her apart, but if she's gonna be the "Magic Spider", maybe something else could be given, but not go too far, 'cause just like Peter with gadgets and weird webbing, magic can go out of control really quickly with the kind of **** characters can get.

Anyways, when it comes to expanding mythos, I would prefer Ewing's approach, Cates' approach with Symbiote is essentially "Knull is behind everything", while Ewing does something similar, but there's more going on to his retcons than "TOBA is behind everything".

I'd say the difference is that Knull is more restrictive since he has to be involved in everything that defined symbiotes (The evilness? Knull. Their weaknesses? Knull), while TOBA is used to explain important elements behind Gamma beings, but there's still enough room for stuff that isn't his doing.

Also for Sisterhood of Wasp, **** man, they need something, we don't even know what their hunter does since the fucker was in a coma all the time, plus they worked together with Spider Society once upon a time, but separated 'cause of different morals or whatever, but maybe something more could be added? 'Cause we could get cool possibilities, like say, is there a Wasp god somewhere that they worship who wants to kill/replace the Great/Master/Whatever Weaver? Or maybe to make them be more than "Evil Spider-Society", there isn't one, but maybe they want to make one? (Specially considering that Great Weaver may have been Anansi, a human, originally, and while Great Weaver is pretty much retgone, Master Weaver has essentially no divinity too, as he's just Karn, pretty much a lab made vampire, watching over the Web of life, so "making a god" in a way isn't far fetched) Maybe they could even have a more scientific angle for some stuff, 'cause mix of magic and science can be interesting.

If we're going for grudges to make a character an archnemesis, I think that Nina Smith chick is a better candidate, since she has the original Hunter powers, blames Anya for Miguel's death, and specifically is taking a darker path because she's butthurt Miguel died, she also said something about Anya only returning a power that was rightfuly hers, so I wouldn't be surprised if she was pissed at Anya for stealing the power too, and there's a lot of potential here for her to be a foil/evil counterpart or whatever, June by comparison had the potential power she could get from that Terrigen Coccoon "stolen" by Anya, which while still enough to piss her off, it's way less personal than Nina.

Not saying June wouldn't work as a good villain, or even as recurring villain, just that I feel Nina has more potential as an archnemesis.
    Those are all good points, especially with your thoughts and ideas for Anya and her main/major enemies.

Took a few months, but my copy finally arrived!

Though, it has a very weird printing error. The dialogue of a page appeared in another. Here's the comparison between the reprint and the original.

Took a few months, but my copy finally arrived!

Though, it has a very weird printing error. The dialogue of a page appeared in another. Here's the comparison between the reprint and the original.
    Congrats, and I see your Lyrical Nanoha figure in the background of all those Anya figures. Not bad.

Extraordinary Member

When is Anya going to meet up with Rikki Barnes?

Quote Originally Posted by Will Evans View Post
    Heard Rikki's got someone new in her life, but I would still like to see a reunion between Anya & Rikki

Quote Originally Posted by Will Evans View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by K7P5V View Post
    Heard Rikki's got someone new in her life, but I would still like to see a reunion between Anya & Rikki

Count me in on that one, too.