Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 42
  1. #1
    Astonishing Member ChrisIII's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    4,392

    Default Star Wars: Squadrons video game announced

    This will reportedly be coming out on multiple systems although it's unclear if it's current gen or next gen. More will be revealed on Monday.


    It seems from the name and art it will probably focus on starfighter combat. While there was some of that in the Battlefronts it was far from the main focus. There's of course been many SW games based mostly on starfighter combat-The old X-wing/TIE fighter PC games (The latter of which seems to have heavily inspired parts of Rebel's Thrawn arc) the somewhat more limited freedom-wise but still fun "Rogue Squadron" series (although eventually those diversified to some ground-based missions as well) and it's prequel counterpart, the starfighter games.

    The art seems to show that it's an OT-era story with it's pilots and starfighters (although they didn't change too much for the sequel trilogy, it's still distinctly OT), although it's possible I suppose that like EA's Battlefront II the story could carry over into the sequel era. You can also glimpse the Rogue One fighters (U-wing and TIE reaper) as well. There also seems to some other craft, kind of smooth-looking like a Mon Calamari ship but kind of too small to be a cruiser. Not sure if it's something already or a new kind of ship.

    https://www.engadget.com/star-wars-s...191018081.html
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

    https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

  2. #2
    Astonishing Member Starter Set's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    3,301

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    The art seems to show that it's an OT-era story
    Now i'm interested. Nothing for me says star wars more than the gentle sound of a x-wing.

  3. #3
    Silver Sentinel BeastieRunner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    West Coast, USA
    Posts
    10,440

    Default

    I hope it's more X-Wing/TIE Fighter than Rouge Squadron or the arcadey bits of BF/BFII.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

  4. #4
    Astonishing Member ChrisIII's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    4,392

    Default

    There's a trailer coming around 4PM.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

    https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

  5. #5
    Astonishing Member ChrisIII's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    4,392

    Default

    Cinematic trailer revealed.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w0eR...1V5niLr2ZvoWbU


    Gameplay still coming around 4.

    Curiously it's only about $40. Short campaign (like Battlefront) again?
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

    https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

  6. #6
    Extraordinary Member Derek Metaltron's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Nottingham, England
    Posts
    5,057

    Default



    I have to admit I have mixed feelings. Motive are involved and they did a good job on the story campaign for Battlefront 2 and they are apparently doing another one here (hopefully this time without the Imperial switches sides cliche again). The main mode however is 5v5 multiplayer. The big question is how much EA tries to be greedy as hell with this - I suspect that they know that a lot is riding on this game for them to keep the license from Disney.

    I also do wish that it wasn’t just Imperial Civil War era but I guess the First Order era didn’t take off like they wanted and I get the impression that Disney wants to move away from the Clone Wars so I guess it makes sense.

  7. #7
    Oni of the Ash Moon Ronin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Here, for now.
    Posts
    1,251

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Derek Metaltron View Post
    I also do wish that it wasn’t just Imperial Civil War era but I guess the First Order era didn’t take off like they wanted and I get the impression that Disney wants to move away from the Clone Wars so I guess it makes sense.
    The First Order era is a relatively short period of time I think there is going to be limited they can really do in it. Though I would really like to see a Clone Wars era new Republic Commando Rainbow Six Siege type of game, I think that would be kind of fun to play.
    Surely not everybody was kung fu fighting

  8. #8
    Moderator Frontier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    55,752

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Derek Metaltron View Post
    I also do wish that it wasn’t just Imperial Civil War era but I guess the First Order era didn’t take off like they wanted and I get the impression that Disney wants to move away from the Clone Wars so I guess it makes sense.
    Timeline-wise it seems set post-RoTJ but pre-Jakku.

    Seeing Hera was a nice surprise .

  9. #9
    Mighty Member Anthony W's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    1,710

    Default

    1. Ugh, EA you just know they are going to try to bleed you dry with microtransactions.

    2. It's not set during the Disney Trilogy? Well, I guess they know what will sell and what doesn't.

    3. Does the Empire have any people of color in it, kind of weird that an all human organization would be so white. I saw one brother in that trailer working for the Empire. If you blink you miss him. He was a background character.
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

  10. #10
    iMan 42s
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    3,420

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Anthony W View Post
    1. Ugh, EA you just know they are going to try to bleed you dry with microtransactions.

    2. It's not set during the Disney Trilogy? Well, I guess they know what will sell and what doesn't.

    3. Does the Empire have any people of color in it, kind of weird that an all human organization would be so white. I saw one brother in that trailer working for the Empire. If you blink you miss him. He was a background character.
    It's set during the Imperial remnant era because EA and Motive have more assets from the Galactic Civil War thanks to the Battlefront games. It's not a matter of what does and doesn't sell, they have assets from Starfighter assault and it's a far more fleshed out setting. This would've been in development as well before the sequels had been completed so they don't have access to the TIE Dagger, the bomber, or the Xyston. It's why in Battlefront 2 we never got any major updates to the sequel era starfighters because at the time those assets simply didn't exist.
    -----------------------------------
    For anyone that needs to know why OMD is awful please search the internet for Linkara' s video's specifically his One more day review or his One more day Analysis.

  11. #11
    Extraordinary Member Derek Metaltron's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Nottingham, England
    Posts
    5,057

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Anthony W View Post
    Does the Empire have any people of color in it, kind of weird that an all human organization would be so white. I saw one brother in that trailer working for the Empire. If you blink you miss him. He was a background character.
    Disney has elected over time to make the Empire far more varied in ethnicity and gender than it appeared to be during the Original Trilogy, which makes a lot of sense. Admiral Rae Sloane and Iden Veriso are good examples as women of color working for the Empire. But the classic movies always knew that the Empire were effectively space Nazis so it made sense that the guys at the top were snooty white asses that are anti-alien.

  12. #12
    Extraordinary Member Derek Metaltron's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Nottingham, England
    Posts
    5,057

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Moon Ronin View Post
    The First Order era is a relatively short period of time I think there is going to be limited they can really do in it. Though I would really like to see a Clone Wars era new Republic Commando Rainbow Six Siege type of game, I think that would be kind of fun to play.
    Annoyingly I read that Lucas managed to firm up rights to both the Prequel and Clone Wars stuff, which effectively means he gets a lot bigger cut when they include it, so Disney prefers to stay away from the Prequel era if possible and rely on things around the original movies (which aren't as tied up) or their new era (which hasn't caught on to the new generation as much as they would like). So I wouldn't expect any specific Clone War era games from EA. I like your idea though!

  13. #13
    iMan 42s
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    3,420

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Derek Metaltron View Post
    Annoyingly I read that Lucas managed to firm up rights to both the Prequel and Clone Wars stuff, which effectively means he gets a lot bigger cut when they include it, so Disney prefers to stay away from the Prequel era if possible and rely on things around the original movies (which aren't as tied up) or their new era (which hasn't caught on to the new generation as much as they would like). So I wouldn't expect any specific Clone War era games from EA. I like your idea though!
    Not exactly. He was partially payed in Disney stock so he does have a stake in Disney's success. He would also retain some character royalties but he doesn't have any control on what comes out.
    -----------------------------------
    For anyone that needs to know why OMD is awful please search the internet for Linkara' s video's specifically his One more day review or his One more day Analysis.

  14. #14
    Silver Sentinel BeastieRunner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    West Coast, USA
    Posts
    10,440

    Default

    So ... is it arcade or sim?

    I couldn't tell ... I gots to know!
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

  15. #15
    Astonishing Member Starter Set's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    3,301

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post
    So ... is it arcade or sim?

    I couldn't tell ... I gots to know!
    Arcade most likely.

    And look at that, it's already on pre-purchase on Steam lol. (2 of october of this year apparently)
    Last edited by Starter Set; 06-16-2020 at 01:05 AM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •