Page 10 of 17 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Werewolf by Night #4 Mar 1973
    The Danger Game!
    Lissa learns Jack's secret;

Joshua Kane captures Jack so he can hunt a Werewolf.

Script by Gerry Conway, pencils by Mike Ploog, inks by Frank Bolle

BANNED

Tomb of Dracula #7 Mar 1973
    "Night of the Death Stalkers!" First appearance of Quincy Harker.
    The harsh cold of winter descends on London and brings with it the terror known as Dracula.

When the Count's enemies gather tot plot his demise,

Dracula attacks using the most unthinkable weapon of all - the children!

Written by Marv Wolfman. Art by Gene Colan and Tom Palmer.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by megaharrison View Post
    Marvel needs to launch 2 books:

First is Mystic Avengers with Dr. Strange, Magik, Hellstrom, Blade, Ghost Rider, and Scarlet Witch.

Second is Legion of Monsters built along an Agent of S.H.A.D.E. equivalent for Marvel.
    Reads to me like an all-new franchise for the Marvel Cinematic Universe.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by megaharrison View Post
    Marvel needs to launch 2 books:

First is Mystic Avengers with Dr. Strange, Magik, Hellstrom, Blade, Ghost Rider, and Scarlet Witch.

Second is Legion of Monsters built along an Agent of S.H.A.D.E. equivalent for Marvel.
    Wouldn't those technically just be the Midnight Son's and S.T.A.K.E.?

I personally didn't have an issue with Damnation's roster for the Midnight Son's outside of one or two characters, wouldn't mind seeing them continue on as a series. Still think that the team would work better as a network of agents working under Doctor Strange but it could still work as a more conventional superhero team. Much as I like Iron Fist and Scarlet Spider though I don't know if this team is the right fit for them, having Wong there kinda makes Iron Fist redundant (plus takes away from developing Wong) and Ben only works if they focus on the more occult aspects of his existence...of which there really aren't any given he's just a clone. Might be better to filter them out with another character like Jack Russell and a replacement Ghost Rider now that Johnny's dead.

BANNED

Werewolf by Night #5 May 1973
    A Life For a Death!
    Jack Russell is forced to try to kill a reclusive millionaire by Luther Kane,

who holds Jack's sister hostage.

Script by Len Wein, art by Mike Ploog

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by WonderBoy View Post
    I'd love to see a new marvel supernatural book. If done right it could be great. It should be dark in my opinion. And they have cool characters like Dr Strange, Magik, Blade and so on, it could be a really cool book. But I've never really been too interested in Marvel's supernatural side though. I do love Supernatural stories and that genre in general but if I want something magical I usually go to DC comics, where they have great stuff like Zatanna and I'm loving Justice League Dark. They have a good title there, it's different.
    Wow! DC's supernatural books appeal more than those of Marvel!

BANNED

Tomb of Dracula #8 May 1973
    "The Hell-Crawlers!"
    Dracula unleashes an army of the undead upon the world of the living.

Written by Marv Wolfman. Art by Gene Colan and Ernie Chua.

BANNED

Werewolf by Night #6 Jun 1973
    Carnival Of Fear!
    Jack is captured by Swami Rihva

and exhibited as the "Wild Man of Borneo" in a travelling circus.

Script by Len Wein, pencils by Mike Ploog, inks by Frank Bolle

BANNED

Tomb of Dracula #9 Jun 1973
    "Death From the Sea!"
    Dracula faces the Fire-Cross,

a holy power that no vampire can escape!

Written by Marv Wolfman. Art by Gene Colan and Vince Colletta.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by QBall View Post
    I'd like to see some spandex-free supernatural books. They can still be set firmly in the mainstream MU (make character/event references, use fringe characters currently in creative limbo, etc.) without having to involve any of the mainstream superhero community.
    Precisely it's already being done so with the MCU by Marvel Studios and Marvel Television.

BANNED

Werewolf by Night #7 Jul 1973
    Ritual of Blood!
    Jack escapes from the circus

and the control of Swami Rihva and the Bloodstone.

Script by Len Wein, pencils by Mike Ploog, inks by Jim Mooney

BANNED

Tomb of Dracula #10 July 1973
    "His Name is Blade!"
    On the docks of London, a young couple is trying to spirit off to America when they are attacked by
    a trio of vampires who refer to themselves as part of Dracula's Legion. Before they can feed on the couple however,
    they are attacked by Blade, a vampire hunter armed with wooden knives.

Blade easily over powers the vampires, stabbing them in the heart with his knives, effectively staking them and killing them instantly.
    After the battle, Blade is confronted by Quincy Harker and his daughter Edith.
    Quincy scolds Blade for brashly killing vampires who are part of Dracula's minions, as they could have led the vampire hunters directly to Dracula himself.
    Blade simply scoffs at Quincy and departs, telling the old vampire hunter that he will hunt by his own methods and kill Dracula on his own terms.

Elsewhere on a private cruise shop that has been rented out by the rich Gabriel Trulaine, Trulaine has a special surprise for his guests: Count Dracula.
    This is really Dracula, however the vampire lord leaves all present to believe that he is merely an ancestor who suffers from a rare blood disease
    and requires blood transfusions. After charming his guests (especially the ladies) Dracula retires to his room with his slave, Clifton Graves.
    When Graves wonders why Dracula doesn't simply destroy all aboard the ship,
    Vlad angrily explains that he intends to exert his will over the wealthy and influential people aboard the ship to suit his own ends.

Spotting a woman whom he was charming earlier, and needing a quick feeding, Dracula lures the girl somewhere private and drinks some of her blood.
    He then takes the girl back to his room and charges Clifton with watching her as Dracula intends
    on draining her dry after he is finished his appointed task and leaves to rejoin the other guests.
    First, Dracula takes control of the ship, hypnotizing it's captain and getting the passengers attention by giving the ship a quick jolt.

Confronting the guests, Dracula reveals his true vampire nature and boasts about how he will make all aboard his slaves.
    When one of the guests attempts to shoot Dracula, the vampire lord laughs off the attempt on his life and throws the man overboard.
    Dracula then begins ordering the passengers loyalty, totally unaware that Blade has tracked him to the ship and is now secretly boarding it.

Dracula's plan backfires when one of the passengers pulls out a crucifix and trains it on him, causing the vampire king pain,
    allowing for the passengers to rush him. Meanwhile, back in his quarters, his intended victim revives -- and in a
    hypnotic trance thanks to Dracula's vampire bite -- knocks Clifton out and leaves the room seeking to find her "lover", Dracula.

Topside, Dracula manage to escape the passengers by turning into mist and flying away from the cross and demands that they deliver his ultimatum or die.
    Their response comes in the form of Blade, who reveals himself to Dracula and challenges him. The two lock in battle and
    Dracula finds that Blade is himself a skillful fighter. Dracula manages to over-power Blade, however his attack is distracted
    when the woman reaches him and calls out his name, with Clifton Graves following behind bellowing apologies over letting her go.
    Furious at this distraction because it allowed Blade to break free and regain his footing, Dracula throws the girl at him.

Dracula then tells all aboard that he ordered the captain to plant explosives aboard the ship and then flees leaving them all -- including Clifton Graves, to perish.

As Dracula escapes in his bat form, Blade ushers everyone to jump overboard leaving only the pathetic Clifton Graves behind begging his master to come back for him.
    When the ship explodes, all the passengers are safely away from the ship except for Clifton Graves who is seemingly killed in the explosion.
    Dracula departs vowing to get revenge on Blade in a battle which the vampire killer will not return from alive.

Written by Marv Wolfman. Art by Gene Colan and Jack Abel.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by QBall View Post
    I'd like to see some spandex-free supernatural books. They can still be set firmly in the mainstream MU (make character/event references, use fringe characters currently in creative limbo, etc.) without having to involve any of the mainstream superhero community.
    Quote Originally Posted by Reviresco View Post
    I agree. I don't recall any spandex in the Dracula book, except for Dr. Strange, who wasn't really part of the spandex crowd either. Magic shouldn't be treated like a super-power, or the awfulness from the movie, just an advanced science.
    Hear! Hear!

This wasn't a problem back in the day, when books could tell their own stories, without having to be part of an event every year, twice a year, to survive.
    Yup.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Draegwolf View Post
    Seriously would love to see Marvel crank out a decent Midnight Son's series, would be a great way to bring Danny back into the field even if they don't want him to be a Spirit of Vengeance. Seems like it would be a good group for characters like either of the original Ghost Riders, Morbius, Elsa Bloodstone, Jack Russell, etc. since none of them are really being used, hell even Moon Knight could probably work out there provided they keep him dealing with supernatural problems. For that matter why not have them working for Doctor Strange?
    Like Secret Defenders?

Working on a Supernatural list, mostly for personal use, but thought I could share it with you all.

Titles are listed in the order they enter into the list, and are broken up by featured character. Meaning that they're listed per character block and get re-listed if a different character becomes the feature character.
    The list currently includes titles launched from 1971 (the year Dr. Strange returned and formed the Defenders and the Comics Code revised its terms, allowing monsters back into comics) up through the end of 1979. By that time, Marvel had started moving more towards sci-fi and fantasy (mostly sci-fi) and away from supernatural comics.

I'm not listing magazines in this. Just comics.
    I plan to maybe do magazines later.

Also, the list doesn't include traditional horror anthologies, unless it has a Marvel Universe character in a feature.

Annuals are currently not listed. I'll be adding those in later.

(Btw... I sometimes will type Dr. Fate instead of Dr. Strange, or vice versa. If I do, please let me know so I can correct it.)

Marvel Feature #1 - Dr. Strange (and Defenders in #1-3)
    Marvel Spotlight #2-4 - Werewolf by Night
    Tomb of Dracula #1-70 - Dracula
    Marvel Premiere #3-14 - Dr. Strange
    Marvel Spotlight #5-11 - Ghost Rider

Werewolf by Night #1-43
    Fear #10-19 - Man-Thing
    Frankenstein #1-18
    Supernatural Thrillers #5-15 - Living Mummy
    Ghost Rider #1-81

Strange Tales #169-173 - Brother Voodoo
    Marvel Spotlight #12-24 - Son of Satan
    Astonishing Tales #21-24 - It
    Man-Thing #1-22
    Fear #20-31 - Morbius

Dr. Strange #1-81
    Giant-Size Chillers/Dracula #1-5 - Dracula
    Strange Tales #174, 176, 177 - Golem
    Creatures on the Loose #30-37 - Man-Wolf
    Giant-Size Creatures #1-5 - Werewolf by Night

Giant-Size Man-Thing #1-5
    Dead of Night #11 - Scarecrow
    Marvel Chillers #1, 2 - Modred
    Marvel Presents #1, 2 - Bloodstone
    Strange Tales #182-188 - Dr. Strange reprints

Giant-Size Dr. Strange #1
    Marvel Premiere #27 - Satana
    Son of Satan #1-8
    Marvel Chillers #3-7 - Tigra
    Marvel Premiere #28 - Legion of Monsters (Ghost Rider, Man- Thing, Morbius, Werewolf by Night)

Marvel Spotlight #26 - Scarecrow
    Weird Wonder Tales #19-22 - Dr. Druid
    Marvel Premiere #42 - Tigra
    Marvel Premiere #45, 46 - Man-Wolf
    Man-Thing (v2) #1-11

I included Tigra due to her roots in Werewolf by Night and her lycanthrope background. She sort of moved away from that after Marvel's supernatural phase ended.

Other titles that may be of interest:
    Defenders - featured Dr. Strange, Clea, Valkyrie, Son of Satan, Hellcat, Gargoyle and Devil-Slayer.
    Moon Knight - had supernatural roots in Werewolf by Night and kept much of the mystique that went with it up through his six-issue series in 1986.
    Spider-Woman (Jessica Drew) - had a lot of supernatural/horror encounters in her book... Werewolf by Night, Tigra, Morgan le Fay and pretty much all the members of Night Shift appeared in her run (many of them having their first appearance there).
    Champions - featured Ghost Rider (and Hercules).

Marvel also did a few classic monster adaptations in Marvel Classics Comics:
    #1 -Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde
    #3- Hunchback of Notre Dame
    #9 - Dracula
    #20- Frankenstein
    #25 - Invisible Man

This is not a complete list of appearances. Note that I didn't include the first appearances of Morbius. I also don't list Marvel Team-Up or Marvel Two-in-One appearances.
    It just lists the books where the characters had a feature of their own.

Any corrections or inclusions of things omitted would be welcome.

Sources used:
    Mike's Amazing World
    "Superheroes from the Crypt"
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.