Page 6 of 17 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Happy Birthday to the late GREAT Gil Kane!!!

Gil Kane drew his share of Marvel Monster covers during the 1970s. Here are a few favorites;

Tomb of Dracula #26 always brings a chill down my spine. The perspective of this scene, taken right below the girl’s waist, is just perfect. She’s walking alone down the streets of London, obviously afraid, knowing that someone is following her. She looks around, but there’s no one behind her. Her senses are working fine—Dracula is stalking her from the rooftop!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Of Atlantis View Post
    I'll be the first to admit Howling Commandos went a mile over my head as far as interest goes. As for Scarlet Witch, she really doesn't exist in the same world as Strange, Ghost Rider or Blade for me personally, which is more what I mean when I say Supernatural, though I was planning on looking more into that title somewhere down the line, maybe there will be a push to change that an perhaps distance herself from the more "Avengery" tales.
    Quote Originally Posted by Reviresco View Post
    I understand exactly what you mean on both counts. I didn't care for the premise of Howling Commandos either, especially attached to SHIELD. It seems Marvel no longer has any idea what horror or supernatural or magic means. Now, they repeatedly try to make the characters / books superheroes, and then wonder why they don't work.
    To me, you hit the nail right on the head.

BANNED

Happy 35th Anniversary 616 Isaac Christians aka GARGOYLE!!! 1981-2016

http://marvel1980s.blogspot.nl/2013/02/1981-defenders-go-demonic-part-ii-night.html
    The Importance of Being Gargoyle

Introduced as a reluctant opponent in Defenders #94 April 1981, Gargoyle nevertheless became the first hero to originally appear in the series. All previous members of the team, and heroic guest stars, had appeared first in other series—or took over the reigns for someone else.

This was only one of several ways that Gargoyle stood out.

Comic books are filled with relatively young heroes, as well as the magically immortal. But a hero who gains superhuman powers later in life is rare indeed.

To save his hometown from economic ruin, Isaac Christians had made a pact with a demon. According to the deal, the town of Christiansboro, Virginia, would financially thrive if the elderly man would agree to temporarily serve the forces of evil as a gargoyle, furthering a larger plot to destroy the Defenders.

But this Gargoyle didn't have the heart of a villain. Instead of leading the Defenders to defeat, he tried to warn them. And because he did not keep up his side of the bargain, Isaac Christians would stay trapped in his demonic form indefinitely.

For all his regrets, the hero with bat-wings and orange hide kept a mild disposition much of the time. Through lineup changes and the formation of the New Defenders, Gargoyle remained a steady reminder of the mystical and often cryptic history of the team.

BANNED

Happy Birthday Mike Deodato Jr.!!!

Thanks for your rendition of Moon Knight vs. Werewolf By Night.
    Last edited by 616MarvelYear is LeapYear; 05-23-2016 at 05:18 PM.

Incredible Member Chimeratengun's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 616MarvelYear is LeapYear View Post

Thanks for your rendition of Moon Knight vs. Werewolf By Night.
    I love this. They should show more of Jack's "Full Savage" form more than just "Wolf-Man" form but I guess the major drawback is that he's 9"something Werewolf that doesn't give a damn that your friend or foe, your either meat or mate.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Draegwolf View Post
    Seriously would love to see Marvel crank out a decent Midnight Son's series, would be a great way to bring Danny back into the field even if they don't want him to be a Spirit of Vengeance. Seems like it would be a good group for characters like either of the original Ghost Riders, Morbius, Elsa Bloodstone, Jack Russell, etc. since none of them are really being used, hell even Moon Knight could probably work out there provided they keep him dealing with supernatural problems. For that matter why not have them working for Doctor Strange?
    I'd like them to be Secret Defenders!

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by 616MarvelYear is LeapYear View Post
    I'd like them to be Secret Defenders!
    I would have loved to read that comic when it had that lineup.

But yeah, the Defenders are another team that could easily be converted to a purely mystic team since Marvel doesn't really seem to have any plans or direction for them. While I can't see them being as dark as the Midnight Son's I could still see them having a pretty solid lineup made up of characters like Doctor Strange, Black Knight, Valkyrie, Shang Chi, Hercules, and Silverclaw.

BANNED

Happy Birthday to the late GREAT Gene "The Dean" Colan!!!

Working with writer Marv Wolfman, (himself achieving a high watermark on this series), Gene Colan imbued the lead character, a cunning monster in human form, with all the dignity, malevolence and high drama he could.
    Dracula's series took the immortal character to entirely new levels, sometimes even clashing with such Marvel heroes as Dr. Strange and the Silver Surfer.

Colan's Dracula was all swirling capes and smokey mists. Like a ghost trying to live amongst humans.
    The scripts called upon Colan to conjure up haunted houses, nighttime cityscapes, demonic horrors and a grand design for Dracula, the proud Prince of Darkness, former king and corrupter of souls.
    All of which Colan handled with masterly skills.
    Credit must be given also to Tom Palmer, who inked Colan's painterly pencils with such precise attention.

In the last two years or so of the book's run, Wolfman introduced an epic story involving Dracula's takeover of a Satanic cult, his subsequent affair and marriage to a cult member, the birth of his child Janus, battles with Christ and eventually the Devil himself.

Gene Colan of course presented the storyline with all the skills at his command: suspense, haunting atmosphere, horrific scenes of terror, melancholy, action.
    Above all, a passion for storytelling, moving the story forward with maximum dramatic effect.
    No stone was left unturned in the unspooling of this supernatural odyssey they took Dracula on.

Tomb of Dracula #70 – nice way to end the best comics series of the 1970s.
    http://13thdimension.com/13-covers-a...y-celebration/

Astonishing Member

Remember all of those Promos with the two letters "MU".....???

Well, it's been revealed and it's (semi-)related to this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by PaxHouse View Post
    Remember all of those Promos with the two letters "MU".....???

Well, it's been revealed and it's (semi-)related to this thread.
    So when can we actually talk about it?

Quote Originally Posted by protege View Post
    So when can we actually talk about it?
    I'll start ....You guys think it will be a team book or short stories? I hope is a team book and is canon not some AU bs.
    I wonder if that Old man Logan/Howling Commandos team-up will be the kick start?
    I'm a little sad that Werewolf by Night was murdered by Deadpool so I'm hoping this series will resurrect him somehow.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaquar View Post
    I'll start ....You guys think it will be a team book or short stories? I hope is a team book and is canon not some AU bs.
    I wonder if that Old man Logan/Howling Commandos team-up will be the kick start?
    I'm a little sad that Werewolf by Night was murdered by Deadpool so I'm hoping this series will resurrect him somehow.
    Much as i'd like a monster team book, that's never worked too well in the past.

Quote Originally Posted by protege View Post
    Much as i'd like a monster team book, that's never worked too well in the past.
    That's true, but does teams are made of characters nobody wanted. I mean I like Ghost Racer and the new Howling Commandos but if trading them for the return of the Midnight Sons or The Legion of Monsters, I would do it in a heart beat.

Incredible Member Moral_Gutpunch's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jaquar View Post
    That's true, but does teams are made of characters nobody wanted. I mean I like Ghost Racer and the new Howling Commandos but if trading them for the return of the Midnight Sons or The Legion of Monsters, I would do it in a heart beat.
    I've mentioined I've been writing my own versions of Monsters Unleashed and I'm soon going to be writing Midnight Sons Noir in the Artists forum months ago (or was it reddit?). Interested in those?

Quote Originally Posted by Moral_Gutpunch View Post
    I've mentioined I've been writing my own versions of Monsters Unleashed and I'm soon going to be writing Midnight Sons Noir in the Artists forum months ago (or was it reddit?). Interested in those?
    I'll check it out.