Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rose and Thorn

Amazing Member

Default Rose and Thorn

I hope this is the right forum since DC owns this character. I stumbled onto 2012's National Comics: Rose and decided to give it a try and ended up really enjoying the character. Unfortunately, I didn't realize this was a one-shot so now I'm rather disappointed that there isn't much else out there. I know Gail Simone wrote a mini-series in 2004, but I can't seem to find it on Comixlogy. Are there any other Rose and Thorn stuff I could look up? Since I've got the thread started anyway, does DC have any plans for this character and would you all like to see her make a comeback?

I think she would do really well under Young Animal.

I don't use comixology, but do they have the old 1970's Superman's Girl Friend: Lois Lane issues?
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thorn_(comics)

That book was where the silver/bronze version of the character had a back-up feature for a while (but, as you can imagine, things changed over 40+ years). And there was an earlier Thorn who was originally a villain that appeared back in the late 1940s.

Last edited by MajorHoy; 07-04-2019 at 11:03 AM.

Those Lois Lane's are in a period of time that DC's been neglecting on Comixology.

If it's not Batman, Flash or Green Lantern, the Silver and early Bronze age comics are few and far between.
    And Golden Age is pretty much Batman and very early Superman and Wonder Woman.
    However... almost all of All-Star Comics has made it. They're only missing a few near the end of the Golden Age run.

Back on the topic of Rose & Thorn...
    I really liked the version that was in Action Comics #669.

Last edited by Lee Stone; 09-21-2016 at 12:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Stone View Post
    Those Lois Lane's are in a period of time that DC's been neglecting on Comixology.

If it's not Batman, Flash or Green Lantern, the Silver and early Bronze age comics are few and far between.
    I would have thought the Superman connection might have worked in Lois' favor, but then again, they might have just had the main stories and left out the back-up features.

Incredible Member

Back when DC did the Showcase anthologies, there was a multi issue R&T story.

Retired

Bob Kanigher created both versions of the Thorn. The first Thorn was Rose Canton, while the second was Rose Forrest. In each case, Rose was not aware that she had another personality called the Thorn.

Although she wasn't a villainess like the first, the second Thorn had an edge to her being that she was a vigilante set on getting vengeance for her father against the 100. She's the kind of character who would be at home on ARROW now.

Bob Kanigher also created Poison Ivy. And after her first two appearances in BATMAN 181 & 183--and being featured in the BATMAN newspaper strip--Poison Ivy pretty much was forgotten as a Batman foe, but not forgotten by Kanigher, who brought her back in the Thorn's feature (in SUPERMAN'S GIRL FRIEND, LOIS LANE 115 & 116). Poison Ivy at that time was very much like the original Thorn (not whatever creepy vine thing Ivy's been made into these days).

Even after that return in LOIS LANE, Poison Ivy still didn't get a lot of respect from Batman--having to be satisified with guest villain appearances in JUSTICE LEAGUE OF AMERICA and SUPER FRIENDS, before finlly being welcomed back into the pages of BATMAN 291 & 292--more than ten years and 100 issues after her original encounter with the Caped Crusader.

The original Thorn's most notable contribution to continuity was as mother to Jade and Obsidian--in a tale crafted by Roy Thomas that was worthy of Bob Kanigher himself, given its complex and uncomfortable twists in logic, sexuality and character development.

I picked up a bunch of Lois Lanes, for a song, solely on the basis of the Rose & Thorn stories. Sadly, looking at prices now, that may not be so easy. A collection would be nice, even something like a Showcase Presents; but, it was never that high profile a series.

It's staggering how cheap Bronze Age material was in the 80s and 90s, compared to what I see listed now. When I was in college, I could get the average Bronze Age comic for less than $.50. You had your pricier stuff: X-Men, Starlin Captain Marvel (especially after Thanos was brought back); things like that. I got the entire run of Kirby Jimmy Olsen, from one shop, for less than a dollar per book. I got all of the Guardians of the Galaxy appearances for less than a buck each (including debut, in Marvel Super Heroes). Then, the Valentino series hit and everyone wanted $10 for something that was just sold for 50 cents. Same happened to Deathlok: Astonishing Tales was dirt cheap, until the new mini came out. Demand may have increased; but, not that much and supply hadn't shrunk that badly. Anyway, comic book collecting economics... (it was the beginning of the speculator boom).

I'd love to see Rose Forrest make a return to Metropolis as a resident hero/anti-hero. She'd flesh out Metropolis in a way different than Superman and he needs more female supporting characters, heroes, and villains.

Amazing Member

Thanks for the advice everyone. I did a search and couldn't find any of the old Louis Lane issues. I couldn't even find Gail Simone's mini series about Rose which surprises me considering 2004 wasn't THAT long ago and Simone is a popular writer. I REALLY wish Tom Taylor's series had been picked up. I enjoyed that one-shot, but it wasn't a complete story by any means.

Quote Originally Posted by whitewolf View Post
    Thanks for the advice everyone. I did a search and couldn't find any of the old Louis Lane issues. I couldn't even find Gail Simone's mini series about Rose which surprises me considering 2004 wasn't THAT long ago and Simone is a popular writer. I REALLY wish Tom Taylor's series had been picked up. I enjoyed that one-shot, but it wasn't a complete story by any means.
    I bought a few of those National Comics one-shots and wouldn't have minded seeing more of their takes on Rose & Thorn, (Kid) Eternity, or Madame X(anadu). (The one I didn't buy was Looker.)

Quote Originally Posted by WonderScott View Post
    I'd love to see Rose Forrest make a return to Metropolis as a resident hero/anti-hero. She'd flesh out Metropolis in a way different than Superman and he needs more female supporting characters, heroes, and villains.
    Honestly, the rose/thorn stories in recent years has been a bit too "adult" for my tastes.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by protege View Post
    Honestly, the rose/thorn stories in recent years has been a bit too "adult" for my tastes.
    There have been stories ion recent years? All I've found are the one-shot from 2012 and Simone's mini-series. I'm sad they haven't done more with this character because I really like what I've read.

Quote Originally Posted by whitewolf View Post
    There have been stories ion recent years? All I've found are the one-shot from 2012 and Simone's mini-series. I'm sad they haven't done more with this character because I really like what I've read.
    That's what i was referring to.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by protege View Post
    That's what i was referring to.
    Alas, you got my hopes up. I don't mind the more "adult" tone of the Taylor story, but I understand why some people wouldn't enjoy it. I haven't read Simone's yet so I can't comment.