Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast
    Astonishing Member kingaliencracker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jadeb View Post
    I’ve been debating dropping modern DC, but I realized just now that maybe I just need to change how I engage with it. I’ve always viewed myself as a monthly comic fan, more interested in small-scale ongoings than big events. But now a lot of the monthly stuff feels like a waste of time — padded filler between events. At the same time, I’ve been enjoying limited series such as Jimmy Olsen and Wonder Twins. I also recently read Metal on the DC Universe app and was surprised by how much I liked it (at least until the rote ending). So maybe I need to reinvent myself as a reader, picking and choosing the better stories rather than expecting to be rewarded for monthly loyalty.
    For me, I think my habits have definitely become more character-driven than story-driven, maybe to my detriment. For example, I love Watchmen and I can continue to read Watchmen-centered stories now because those characters and that universe have obviously endured. But if it had come out today instead of 35 or whatever years ago - an alternate universe story with completely unknown/unpublished characters prior - then I probably wouldn't read it.

In terms of today, I'd rather read an average Superman or Spider-Man story than the greatest Green Arrow story (as an example) because my long-term investment is with the former two characters.

Quote Originally Posted by kingaliencracker View Post
    For me, I think my habits have definitely become more character-driven than story-driven, maybe to my detriment. For example, I love Watchmen and I can continue to read Watchmen-centered stories now because those characters and that universe have obviously endured. But if it had come out today instead of 35 or whatever years ago - an alternate universe story with completely unknown/unpublished characters prior - then I probably wouldn't read it.

In terms of today, I'd rather read an average Superman or Spider-Man story than the greatest Green Arrow story (as an example) because my long-term investment is with the former two characters.
    I can understand that. Tim Drake is my favorite character, and and I still buy his appearances even though I haven’t liked how they’ve used him since before the New 52. Gotta stop that — at a certain point, I have to accept it’s not the same character I liked.

I’ve been collecting DC Comics for more years than I’d like to admit and things seem especially bad right now. Just looking at the books being released this week; Superman, Batman, Detective Comics, Wonder Woman, Justice League. None of the stories sound the least bit interesting to me. The first issue of Death Metal was pretty fun but the “tent pole” books are just floundering. I’m sure The Joker War will sell well but I’m personally so damn sick of The Joker, so it really means nothing to me. I’m actually hoping for a relaunch after Death Metal.

I dropped out of buying current comics years ago.

I mainly follow specific writers... and basically there were just too many cases where a writer I enjoyed was removed from a book after a few issues with story incomplete, and replacement writer was some one whose writing style didn't appeal.

Now...I just read years in arrears. If a writer I like does a chunky run of a dozen or more issues on a character I like...I'll get round to reading it sometime.

It means I read fewer comics...but loads of other things to do...but enjoy the ones I read a lot more.

Extraordinary Member

I'm guessing then it was just me that read the thread title...in THAT way, then? I must admit, reading the posts after thinking that...was hilarious!

And I will resist the obvious joke based on the thread title, because I'm above all that.

Quote Originally Posted by achilles View Post
    I'm guessing then it was just me that read the thread title...in THAT way, then? I must admit, reading the posts after thinking that...was hilarious!

And I will resist the obvious joke based on the thread title, because I'm above all that.
    Nope, my mind is often dwelling on low hanging fruit like that.

My list continues to get shorter and shorter as DC shoots itself in the foot.
    They continue to cancel some of my faves like Shazam and Supersons and Supergirl and Green Lanterns and Titans (and Hawkman?) while other books flounder. In the last 2 years I’ve dropped Batgirl, Detective, JLD and JLO out of boredom... and Nightwing out of anger.
    Am I replacing them with big event tie-ins? Aw hellz no.

Also, add me to the list of people who’d be buying a JSA monthly as my #1 book, if DC could figure out what they’re doing. Which they can’t. Apparently.

Boing Boing Baggies. Baggie_Saiyan's Avatar

My pull list is a big fat 0 and has been since 3rd month of Rebirth. I was hit with comic book fatigue and it ain't gone away and a few random issues I picked up between nothing compelled me to get back into comic books. It's all the same crap, events tie ins etc etc. Doomsday Clock was the biggest waste of time ever for example. New AM run I bought the first two trades but man I can't deal with this amnesia thing haven't finished vol.1 even, stop this trying to change status quo etc nonsense.

What is this Death Metal crap, let me guess Snyder was like "this is the story I wanted to tell forever"...

3 Jokers probably gonna be another waste of time, was kinda interested but it has been so long since DS War and after DC I don't think I will waste my money just to get disappointed.
    "Yes...Mondo Cool"- Vegeta.

I'm usually not on top of things enough to have a pull list, but a lot of the Rebirth/post-Rebirth stuff I've read has started quite strong, esp

Rebirth One-Shot/Lead-In
    Justice League Dark
    Aquaman
    Detective Comics
    Green Lantern (not perfect, but I like Morrison's spin on it)

Justice League Odyssey(?) (I'm literally two issues in so it's hard to form an opinion yet, but it seems promising)

The following look great and I'm planning on reading them:

Suicide Squad
    Hawkman
    Mister Miracle
    Martian Manhunter

Justice League (Snyder) and Teen Titans were kind of "meh" to me, but I'm liking a lot of what's been coming out after the New 52; I really just want more.

The New 52 era was kind of a disappointment to me. Even the series that were considered better (e.g. Animal Man, Swamp Thing) left a bad taste in my mouth. A lot of the arcs felt kind of forced and I had this feeling many series weren't going to last, which ended up being true. Rebirth (and following) had a smaller number of series, but there's just a lot more focus and strength here. I think DC's writing staff is pretty damn good right now, too.

tl;dr Things have been moving in the right direction in the past decade...

Spectacular Member

My pull list is down to two regulars and some special orders. About a half page.

Doom Patrol and Lois Lane just officially dropped from my pull list today. Their no longer being published had a lot to do with that though. I voluntarily drop very few books and the majority are cancellations. So when my pull list is small like now, it's because DC isn't publishing what I like.

I'm down to Morrison's GL, Question, Strange Adventures, Wonder Woman Earth One, and Legion. The first four of those five are limited and two of them have one more issue coming out.

Thought it might be interesting to bump up this thread now that DC has moved beyond DiDio/Rebirth and has gone on to Infinite Frontier . . .

Flash because of Wally.

The only other title that I would pay for is a JSA or Stargirl series.
    AKA FlashFreak
    Favorite Characters:
    DC: The Flash (Jay & Wally), Starman- Jack Knight, Stargirl, & Shazam!.
    MARVEL: Daredevil, Spider-Man (Peter Parker), & Doctor Strange.

Current Pulls: Not a thing!

Quote Originally Posted by Jekyll View Post
    Flash because of Wally.

The only other title that I would pay for is a JSA or Stargirl series.
    Well, at least we have the Stargirl one-shot special coming soon . . .

I have a decent chunk of DC titles on ye olde pull list.

Action Comics
    Batman
    Crime Syndicate
    Far Sector
    Flash
    Green Lantern
    Harley Quinn
    Justice League
    Joker
    Man-Bat
    Metal Men
    Nightwing