Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

lol, did you not notice Deathstroke didn't come out in January, February and March, Lightning Rider? (COVID excuses April and May)
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

My only mainstream DC book I am getting is Hawkman.

I was getting all the DC Giants, but those seem to be ending.

I was getting a lot of the Dollar reprints and facsimile editions. Those seem to be ending.

I am getting the Sandman Universe books. All four original books have now been cancelled. One relaunched and a Constantine book added, so 2 of 5 left coming out.

I am getting Last God. It's a maxi-series, half way through.

I am getting the Hill House books, all are minis, most approaching their end.

That's it. Most of what I was buying from DC they have decided to cease publishing or is ending soon. So yes, my pull list is tiny for DC.

-M
    Comic fans get the comics their buying habits deserve.

"Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

Fantastic Member

The only DC books I buy month to month is Teen Titans and any of the DCEASED line of books. Other than that I trade wait. Just got the two volumes of Hawkman and the first volume of Wonder Twins. Need to catch up on Green Lantern. Can't remember the last time I brought a Marvel comic. I probably check out Justice League my sister has all of Snyder's run so I can catch up. Also I really liked Robert Venditti's Freedom Fighters book so I would read him on Justice League. I'm trade waiting for Johns Shazam run.

I have heard good things about Catwoman so I got the first trade and I will probably continue from there.

It's not that DC not putting out stuff I am interested in it's just that they stopped being published because they were minis. Like Freedom Fighters.

I never had a large pull list so now I am mostly focusing on reading characters I typically don't read like Hawkman.
    Last edited by shadow6743; 06-13-2020 at 12:07 PM.

small press afficionado matt levin's Avatar

Nope aint just you. I get The (new) Batman Advenures, (or hope to, soon!) and Lois Lane, ending soon.
    Sometimes I pick up a copy of Hellblazer and Lucifer. But I lots of old back issues of those to enjoy, more-so than most of the new issues...
    nope, it's not just you.

I guess I should edit this to say I get two or three Marvel titles, as well, and a couple dozen Image/Dynamite/Abstract Studios/Ahoy/and other titles. But yeah, still, overall, my pull list shrinketh.
    Age/Bronze, Age/Reptiles, Alex&Ada, Anne Bonnie, Astro City, Bone, Briggs Land, Cerebus, Criminal, Courtney Crumrin, Eleanor & the Egret, Fables, Fatale, Fell, Grass Kings, Green Valley, Goon, Gotham Midnight, Groo, Hellboy, Hillbilly, Incognegro, Jack Staff, JL8, Jonah Hex, Kane, Lazarus, Little Nemo, Lone Wolf, Next Wave, Popeye, Powers, Princess Ugg, Resident Alien, SiP, Squirrel Girl, Stray Bullets, 10G, Thief of Thieves, Tuki, Uncle Scrooge, Usagi, Velvet

BANNED

I thought it was just me, for a time, until I saw some other topics that showed similar results. It actually surprised me a bit how many posters weren't buying any DC titles, or barely any.

I'm not buying any DC titles right now, but here's a list of what I would usually buy and why I'm not getting it.

Justice League:
    I tried Snyder's Justice League and hated it. I perused Venditti's run some and I can tell it's mediocre filler. I have no interest in reading that.

Superman and Action Comics:
    Bendis' writing is not to my taste. He's verbose beyond belief and his dialogue is cringey besides. I also don't like his general direction for Superman. Note, this doesn't mean I liked the dad version of Superman that preceded it, because I didn't.

Amethyst:
    This one is actually pretty upsetting for me, because this is a character I really like that doesn't get much attention. I'd love to support it, but I just can't get into this Wonder Comics version of the character. Shame. I feel it's the wrong direction to go.

Green Lantern:
    Just not really into it. Morrison...I dunno'. I don't think he's a bad writer, but sometimes it's weirdness for weirdness' sake, and the more he does that, the more it's the same brand of meta "weirdness," the less charming it is to me and the novelty wears off. It's cool that he has a distinct voice, but it might be interesting to see him attempt some other type of style and in a way that isn't somehow satirical or intentionally overdone, because that sort of seems like the thing he would do if he was to attempt something else.
    Last edited by Vampire Savior; 06-13-2020 at 02:51 PM.

Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MatthewFieldhouse View Post
    Last issue was 4 December
    Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    lol, did you not notice Deathstroke didn't come out in January, February and March, Lightning Rider? (COVID excuses April and May)
    Thanks for the info- I'm so behind that nope, didn't notice. The last issue I read was #39. Maybe I should just trekk on and catch up anyway? I think the Arkham arc threw me for a loop. Do y'all recommend I stick with it and finish the run?

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Before the pandemic I was down to two books. Both out of continuity. The Wal-Mart Superman book and Joker/Harley. Before that it was Superman Smashes the Klan. Maybe some dollar books or facsimile editions.
    Assassinate Putin!

My comic interest has been really low, aside for the current X books at Marvel. Hoping Death Metal and Three Jokers will relight my DC love.

It happens, that just means it's time for you to branch out into other companies and or genres. See if you have a passion that lies elsewhere.
    Reading List (Super behind but reading them nonetheless):
    DC: Currently figuring that out
    Marvel: Read above
    Image: Killadelphia, Nightmare Blog
    Other: The Antagonist, Something is Killing the Children, Avatar: TLAB
    Manga: My Hero Academia, MHA: Vigilanties, Soul Eater: the Perfect Edition, Berserk, Hunter X Hunter, Witch Hat Atelier, Kaiju No. 8

Quote Originally Posted by Vampire Savior View Post
    I thought it was just me, for a time, until I saw some other topics that showed similar results. It actually surprised me a bit how many posters weren't buying any DC titles, or barely any.

I'm not buying any DC titles right now, but here's a list of what I would usually buy and why I'm not getting it.

Justice League:
    I tried Snyder's Justice League and hated it. I perused Venditti's run some and I can tell it's mediocre filler. I have no interest in reading that.

Superman and Action Comics:
    Bendis' writing is not to my taste. He's verbose beyond belief and his dialogue is cringey besides. I also don't like his general direction for Superman. Note, this doesn't mean I liked the dad version of Superman that preceded it, because I didn't.

Amethyst:
    This one is actually pretty upsetting for me, because this is a character I really like that doesn't get much attention. I'd love to support it, but I just can't get into this Wonder Comics version of the character. Shame. I feel it's the wrong direction to go.

Green Lantern:
    Just not really into it. Morrison...I dunno'. I don't think he's a bad writer, but sometimes it's weirdness for weirdness' sake, and the more he does that, the more it's the same brand of meta "weirdness," the less charming it is to me and the novelty wears off. It's cool that he has a distinct voice, but it might be interesting to see him attempt some other type of style and in a way that isn't somehow satirical or intentionally overdone, because that sort of seems like the thing he would do if he was to attempt something else.
    You know I couldn't find the words for it at first but you hit the nail right on the head for me, I just can't enjoy his GL.
    Reading List (Super behind but reading them nonetheless):
    DC: Currently figuring that out
    Marvel: Read above
    Image: Killadelphia, Nightmare Blog
    Other: The Antagonist, Something is Killing the Children, Avatar: TLAB
    Manga: My Hero Academia, MHA: Vigilanties, Soul Eater: the Perfect Edition, Berserk, Hunter X Hunter, Witch Hat Atelier, Kaiju No. 8

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

No, it's just not you.

I am only pulling Green Lantern & Death Metal because I stupidly invested in Snyder's JL so now I wanna know how it "ends"

I dropped buying floppies three years ago.
    After following D C and Marvel for over 35 years
    I knew I was not happy with everything that
    Was going on with on going series for the last
    few years and decided to stop buying new books
    and just get trades and other collected books.
    The “experiment” was not supposed to be long,
    But only to give myself a rest and hopefully
    Return to floppies with more passion and interest.
    But funny thing is .... one I discovered a lot of good
    Hard and soft cover books over the last three years and
    Two, every time I tried to set up a mail order for gettting
    back into reading monthly series, ended up scrapping it
    When I realized only a few books interested me and
    dreaded the usual fall off in interest on some.
    For me, it just came down to buying and reading comics in
    collected form worked for me and my floppies issue to issue days
    where probably done.
    Last edited by My Two Cents; 06-13-2020 at 06:18 PM.

No it’s not just you, DC’s sales overall are in the toilet. I think Death Metal is going to help breathe some new life into the line, and I am very excited to see what the post Didio line will look like after Death Metal. I expect another linewide relaunch after Death Metal wraps up, so many books are coming to an end right now, Flash, Harley Quinn, GL is approaching the end of Season 2, Batman will be hitting issue 100 soon, I totally see a relaunch coming.
    Quote Originally Posted by brandnewfan View Post
    I haven't really been interested since Rebirth. None of the books hold my interest EXCEPT Young Justice. That's literally the only book worth buying right now, but the fact that it's the only good book sort of stifles my interest in DC overall and I stopped buying it. My pull list is 0.

I feel like nearly every book is the same. It's all kinda bland and nothing has a distinct voice. Every book LOOKS almost exactly the same, like it's the same artist every issue of every book. Nothing stands out. And writing ranges from average to mediocre to kind of bad. Many of the once stellar storytellers seems to have lost their steam. Johns' Shazam was bland. Snyder's recent output is bland. Bendis has yet to do anything eye-catching. Those three should be carrying the entire DC Universe, but they aren't. Aside from those three, who are the big DC names?

Contrast to a few years ago when everything was different. Black Canary, Midnighter, Prez, Omega Men, etc.

DC is also apparently unable to capitalize off film success in the same way Marvel does. DC had a good hit with the Shazam film but the book, which struggled with constant delays and so-so writing by Geoff Johns was mediocre at best. Same with Birds of Prey.
    Iron Man was the breakout character and heart of the MCU, yet his entire reign came and went without Marvel being able to capitalize on it with the comics. The movie versions success hasn’t translated into greater sales for Cap or Iron Man.

Astonishing Member

I am only reading Shazam and Young Justice.

Other than Batman, Detective Comics, Wonder Woman, and Red Hood's book, I'm not buying any DC stuff. Sadly, Bendis turned me off the Superman titles. Until last September I followed the Superman titles religiously.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."