Quote Originally Posted by Jadeb View Post
I’ve been debating dropping modern DC, but I realized just now that maybe I just need to change how I engage with it. I’ve always viewed myself as a monthly comic fan, more interested in small-scale ongoings than big events. But now a lot of the monthly stuff feels like a waste of time — padded filler between events. At the same time, I’ve been enjoying limited series such as Jimmy Olsen and Wonder Twins. I also recently read Metal on the DC Universe app and was surprised by how much I liked it (at least until the rote ending). So maybe I need to reinvent myself as a reader, picking and choosing the better stories rather than expecting to be rewarded for monthly loyalty.
For me, I think my habits have definitely become more character-driven than story-driven, maybe to my detriment. For example, I love Watchmen and I can continue to read Watchmen-centered stories now because those characters and that universe have obviously endured. But if it had come out today instead of 35 or whatever years ago - an alternate universe story with completely unknown/unpublished characters prior - then I probably wouldn't read it.

In terms of today, I'd rather read an average Superman or Spider-Man story than the greatest Green Arrow story (as an example) because my long-term investment is with the former two characters.