Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Lightning Rider View Post

I dropped Martian Manhunter because I didn't like the corrupt cop angle, though I love the character and am conflicted as to whether to support him. (Did anyone read past the first few issues and feel rewarded by it?)
    Yes, I did read past the first few issues, I read all of it, and felt greatly rewarded. Yes, it was a different angle to examine the idea of J'onn J'onzz, but by the end he seemed very much like the stalwart, heroic Martian Manhunter we all love.

I loved the myth-building that was happening throughout the series, borrowing from previous iterations and adding more details on top of those we have seen. The customs and procedures involved with J'onzz's shape-changing and telepathic powers were so flavorful in concept and evocative in appearance. I loved the whole series.

Both my DC and Marvel lists are both at some of their lowest in decades. DC, though, does have a few minis I'm buying (Strange Adventures, Lois Lane, Question). Doom Patrol is still technically on there, until that last issue finally comes out. Morrison's Green Lantern and Legion of Super-Heroes complete my list.

I’m finding myself with the same issue and hoping that DC puts in the actual effort of rejuvenating it’s books and finding new talent instead of another flashy relaunch.

Extraordinary Member

I haven't read DC books in years, so I probably shouldn't comment.

However, I do keep up with what's being said about some of my former-favorite characters and books. It seems to me that the writers today seem more concerned with putting their spin on the character rather than use the character's history and own personality to write the books.

I'm tired of the revamping and re-imagining of DC characters. Quit starting over and move forward with stories based on history and characterization. That's what writers are supposed to do in comics.

My DC pull is smaller than it was, but while I've dropped a few books because I wasn't enjoying them, most of what I've dropped are titles like The Terrifics, which are ending or have already ended.

So a few less DC books in my box each month, but it's Marvel that I've stopped reading. I think the only Marvel title on my pull right now is Thor.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lightning Rider View Post

I dropped Martian Manhunter because I didn't like the corrupt cop angle, though I love the character and am conflicted as to whether to support him. (Did anyone read past the first few issues and feel rewarded by it?)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hatut Zeraze View Post
    Yes, I did read past the first few issues, I read all of it, and felt greatly rewarded. Yes, it was a different angle to examine the idea of J'onn J'onzz, but by the end he seemed very much like the stalwart, heroic Martian Manhunter we all love.

I loved the myth-building that was happening throughout the series, borrowing from previous iterations and adding more details on top of those we have seen. The customs and procedures involved with J'onzz's shape-changing and telepathic powers were so flavorful in concept and evocative in appearance. I loved the whole series.
    I like the origin with Martian Manhunter as a weapon of White Martians. J'onn's memories were all false and there were never any other green Martians.

I guess I was the only one.

I was reading so many more comics from DC during the Rebirth period. There were so many good titles from the Superman line to Deathstroke, both Green Lantern comics, Nightwing to name a few. Now my current DC pulls are down to The Green Lantern, Detective Comics in physical comics and Superman: The Man of Tomorrow on digital. I can't stand what Bendis has done to Superman, not a fan of Tynion on Batman, I don't really like King's writing at all and nothing else from DC's current output interests me. On the plus side, I have more money to spend on back issues or trades I've been meaning to pick up so there is a good side to DC's current line not appealing to me.

The Green Lantern and The Legion of Superheroes are my only two at the moment (and the Question, but that's a mini) and those are titles I would buy almost anytime DC puts them out. I do enjoy The Green Lantern though. I only buy Justice League if Hal's in it, and sometimes Batman if the storyline or creative team excite me. I mostly wish there were good titles with more of the other "non-core" characters.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

I mean we're in a global pandemic, so it's been a bit since I've bought new comics- outside of a few. Plus I try to keep a tight budget on these things.

I mostly read non superhero books, but I do read AQUAMAN, AMYTHEST, and BATGIRL. Morrison's TGL too but I'm way way behind, and JIMMY OLSEN which is ending. 5 books is a pretty solid amount from DC, I'm really into all of them.

I'll read STRANGE ADVENTURES when it's collected. Probably SHAZAM, too. Just read what you like, and you'll be happy.
    Last edited by Flash Gordon; 06-14-2020 at 07:56 PM.

Don't Bully a Hurt Dragon Sergard's Avatar

My pull list has always been tiny, around one to three titles per month. (not counting trades)
    But I'm fine with that size. I don't think I could handle more titles per month on a regular basis.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Iron Man was the breakout character and heart of the MCU, yet his entire reign came and went without Marvel being able to capitalize on it with the comics. The movie versions success hasn’t translated into greater sales for Cap or Iron Man.
    The only time a movie push has seemed to have positively effected a character is Carol Danvers. Marvel kept churning out books with low sales because she was about to be in a movie but once the movie actually came out her books finally started selling reasonably.

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Comics seem to be the one area where movies don't move sales all that much. It's a little disturbing.
    Assassinate Putin!

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    Comics seem to be the one area where movies don't move sales all that much. It's a little disturbing.
    Because those in the movies or tv shows tend to be either MIA in comics or badly written in comics.

Also those movie and tv fans are going to look for the TRADE not the monthly copy.

If you liked Black Lightning's daughters-you have NOTHING to read starring them.

Now toss in Static, Vixen and a lot of others who are on tv or movies.

Also you have to be able to find the trade (versus ordering online) for most folks.

No one is going to hunt down a comic book store to read about Cyborg in one of his trades. If it's not on the shelf at the library or Barnes & Nobles-tough.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    The only time a movie push has seemed to have positively effected a character is Carol Danvers. Marvel kept churning out books with low sales because she was about to be in a movie but once the movie actually came out her books finally started selling reasonably.
    Helps that Kelly Thompson is a decent writer. So good that a year earlier, Bendis personally chose her to take over Jessica Jones, on the strength of a guest appearance by Jessica in KT's Hawkeye (Kate Bishop) title.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Part of that has to do with the creators they put on the books being good and willing to explore Carol as a complete mess rather than trying to make her “Marvel’s WW”. I’ve heard good things about Thompson and Stohl on Carol even if I have no desire to check them out myself, (Carol just doesn’t interest me as a character).