Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Part of that has to do with the creators they put on the books being good and willing to explore Carol as a complete mess rather than trying to make her “Marvel’s WW”. I’ve heard good things about Thompson and Stohl on Carol even if I have no desire to check them out myself, (Carol just doesn’t interest me as a character).
    I'd skip Stohl and go straight to Thompson if you ever want to read Carol.

Astonishing Member Timothy Hunter's Avatar

I hate to say that I don't buy monthly titles anymore. As much as they would like to say otherwise, I just can't believe that the current DC Universe is the same one as it was before Flashpoint.

People like to take continuity for granted, but I feel what made DC great from 1986 to 2011 is that there was a concerted effort made to make the DCU feel like a coherent universe. You could believe that the 80s era of Batman could lead into the 90s era of Batman and into the 2000s, but I just can't wrap my head around the Batman titles of today fitting into that tapestry because there is so much of the Post Crisis DC Universe that has been altered and ignored.
    Last edited by Timothy Hunter; 06-14-2020 at 02:05 PM.

My pull list is still a decent size but I’ll definitely admit that DC isn’t producing much these days that excites me. The only book that I really look forward to is Taylor’s Suicide Squad. Hopefully things pick up after Metal. It feels like DC has been in a holding pattern for the last year.

BANNED

Yeah I don't read a lot of DC anymore.

Hawkman, Action Comics, Superman and Shazam are the only monthlies.

Then there's The Question and Batman's Grave... Coming up we have Event Leviathan II and Three Jokers.

So yeah, not a lot. But I haven't been into DC as much since the New 52. That was one of the only times in recent history I actually understood the DC side of things, being a Marvel guy at heart.

I wish things were more exciting.

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    My pull list is still a decent size but I’ll definitely admit that DC isn’t producing much these days that excites me. The only book that I really look forward to is Taylor’s Suicide Squad. Hopefully things pick up after Metal. It feels like DC has been in a holding pattern for the last year.
    They have. They were setting up 5G, but there were all sorts of BTS fights about it. Now according to Scott Snyder’s Word Balloon podcast, it sounds like they finally have a plan for the future.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    They have. They were setting up 5G, but there were all sorts of BTS fights about it. Now according to Scott Snyder’s Word Balloon podcast, it sounds like they finally have a plan for the future.
    Yeah, hopefully there’s some actual direction now. The uneventful holding pattern really goes all the way back to the Doomsday Clock delays.

Three Legged Member married guy's Avatar

From DC, I'm down to Flash and Aquaman.
    The event stuff like Metal just bores me.
    I haven't picked up a Bat book on anything resembling a monthly basis in 20 years.
    Very little of DC are currently doing interests me enough to pick it up.
    Which is really depressing as I'm a hopeless DC nut (or was).
    "My name is Wally West. I'm the fastest man alive!"
    I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.

Justice League
    Immortal Hulk.
    A couple years ago I was pulling 20 or so books a month and spending $30-$40 a week on pull list and ones that caught my interest.
    Now I pay Marvel Unlimited, DC Universe and Comixology Unlimted and spending a lot less, but reading a lot more...

Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hatut Zeraze View Post
    Yes, I did read past the first few issues, I read all of it, and felt greatly rewarded. Yes, it was a different angle to examine the idea of J'onn J'onzz, but by the end he seemed very much like the stalwart, heroic Martian Manhunter we all love.

I loved the myth-building that was happening throughout the series, borrowing from previous iterations and adding more details on top of those we have seen. The customs and procedures involved with J'onzz's shape-changing and telepathic powers were so flavorful in concept and evocative in appearance. I loved the whole series.
    Thanks for the response. I did find a lot of the world-building cool, even if I found the flavor a little off, so I'll try a few more issues.

Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

It would be cool to have a poll on what people here are still following from DC. Going loosely by January's list:

Justice League
    Superman/Action
    Batman/Detective
    Wonder Woman
    Green Lantern
    Flash
    Aquaman
    Batman & Superman
    Flash Forward
    Other
    None

Justice League
    Batman n the Outsiders
    was doing Wonder Woman until they decided to keep the crazy origin for Donna Troy.still waiting for them to bring back the JSA and not a fan of this new Legion of the Super Heroes and there's no Titans other than the Teen Titans and that's not my cup od tea.their was time I was spending at least 50 to 60 a week now Im down to bout 20 a month if that.

This is where me and monthly comics part ways I think, I've been surprised how little I've missed new issues. Collected editions of older stuff only for me from now on.

I think my main problem with DC is that their continuity is in such a mess due to constant reboots (especially in the last decade or so) it feels as if there is no direction. I've lost patience waiting for them to sort things out.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

It's not you. At present, I'm only reading the following:

The Flash
    The Green Lantern, Season Two
    Justice League (hopped back onboard after Snyder and Tynion left)
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    I think my main problem with DC is that their continuity is in such a mess due to constant reboots (especially in the last decade or so) it feels as if there is no direction. I've lost patience waiting for them to sort things out.
    Never really understood the continuity complaints to be honest. When you’ve got 20+ writers all working on different characters, and some books using the same characters, continuity is bound to get wonky. Over at Marvel Tony Stark is fighting in a robot revolution and a member of the Avengers. Cap is disgraced and on the run in his solo but leading the Avengers in Aaron’s book. Things are never going to line up 100% perfectly unless you want books to constantly be tying in.

That said I’m almost positive Death Metal is going to end with yet another attempt by DC to straighten out the timeline which will probably last under a year before things get convoluted again.