Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast
    Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by matt levin View Post
    I know this's meant to be a DC page, but damn,
    makes me sad to read lines like superduperman's above (my pull list just disappeared) and waterfall's 'I've just stopped buying comic books.'
    And yeah, I KNOW this's meant to be a DC discussion,
    but I sure hope those of you disheartened by DC's comics look into the "independent" comics selections.
    All of the titles in my tag below are there 'cause I really enjoyed them, and I hope folks don't give up on comics, but look into titles from elsewhere.
    Looking at those titles in your tag, is VELVET still on-going then? I picked up the first 6 issues or so then it seemed to disappear so I assumed it had been cancelled... (what issue is it up to now?) I know that's drifting off topic but just curious.

Teen Titans (Been awesome so far)
    Metal Men (Always loved these guys)
    Legion of Superheroes (I’m actually reading something Bendis writes)
    JSA (Would be my number one pull of any company but DC dropped the ball)

small press afficionado matt levin's Avatar

James Hunter-- Velvet is up to issue 142, but, alas, only in my imagination. I have issues 1-15 and that, also alas, is the end. There might be more, someday, but they're busy with other stuff.
    I figured the several titles I list below which concluded their runs could be readily found as collected editions; didn't mean to suggest they're all still on-going.
    And now I look at that list...heh...well, half-a-dozen are actually still on-going, maybe, The Goon, Hillbilly...
    Last edited by matt levin; 06-20-2020 at 05:34 PM.
    Age/Bronze, Age/Reptiles, Alex&Ada, Anne Bonnie, Astro City, Bone, Briggs Land, Cerebus, Criminal, Courtney Crumrin, Eleanor & the Egret, Fables, Fatale, Fell, Grass Kings, Green Valley, Goon, Gotham Midnight, Groo, Hellboy, Hillbilly, Incognegro, Jack Staff, JL8, Jonah Hex, Kane, Lazarus, Little Nemo, Lone Wolf, Next Wave, Popeye, Powers, Princess Ugg, Resident Alien, SiP, Squirrel Girl, Stray Bullets, 10G, Thief of Thieves, Tuki, Uncle Scrooge, Usagi, Velvet

Astonishing Member

I can't even call it a pull list. Hawkman and Spider-Woman is all I collect monthly. Marvel and DC's output these days just can't compare to the stories that made their characters popular. Writing is much more sophisticated these days, but the storytelling is much worse.

I see articles promoting DC's Death Metal -- and I can't be arsed with such nonsense. But I'm not their target market -- maybe the younger generation eats up this junk.

Quote Originally Posted by kcekada View Post
    I can't even call it a pull list. Hawkman and Spider-Woman is all I collect monthly. Marvel and DC's output these days just can't compare to the stories that made their characters popular. Writing is much more sophisticated these days, but the storytelling is much worse.

I see articles promoting DC's Death Metal -- and I can't be arsed with such nonsense. But I'm not their target market -- maybe the younger generation eats up this junk.
    I'm sure I'm catch hell here...lol... but I got to the point where I just buy the few comics I read every month online. I don't have room for physical copies any more, and feel like its a waste. Now, the stuff from my childhood the 70s/80s is different, and I've kept all that.

But for WW, LSH and an occasional off issue here or there, it's not worth the space. I used to buy so many titles backninnda day

Astonishing Member

Mine hit 2 titles, maybe a year and a half after the new 52 (and I started at all 52), and then it went slowly back up to about 10 titles, now it's back at 4. It's not you. I'm not sure if it's the quality or if I'm simply "aging out" of comic books' target audience.

I've been a little disappointed with how I'm not into a lot of the new runs right now. Seems like there aren't a ton of strong ones. I generally just wait to collect TPBs instead of floppies (unless I'm super hyped for something) so I'm not caught up, but I really enjoyed Morrison's GL which was a breath of fresh air for a GL series. Started reading Detective Comics and it seems promising, and I'm planning on reading Justice League: Dark.

On the fence about giving Dark Knights Metal (and maybe Death Metal) a shot... Might read the first two or three issues.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by titanfan View Post
    Mine hit 2 titles, maybe a year and a half after the new 52 (and I started at all 52), and then it went slowly back up to about 10 titles, now it's back at 4. It's not you. I'm not sure if it's the quality or if I'm simply "aging out" of comic books' target audience.
    I don't believe in "aging out" of comic books' target audience.

If you know and accept the genre rules for super-hero comic books, then there no reason you cannot enjoy the stories. (Unless the art or plot are truly awful.)

It's completely natural for one's interest in a hobby to wax and wane over time. Sometimes that has to do with the hobby - sometimes it has to do with the individual - sometimes it's a mix of both. Lifers like most of us are the exception, not the rule.

Short version: don't sweat it.
    Cheers - CL

Me too but i think its more I'm just uninterested in the usual Marvel/Dc shenagins than Covid 19. I'm dipping my toe in the Indie comic waters.

Batman
    Tec
    Superman
    Action
    TGL
    Flash
    Justice League
    Justice League Dark
    Justice League Odyssey
    Legion
    Shazam
    Young Justice

Having taken the time to write my pull list down for the first time in awhile, I do see I’m buying quite a few titles out of habit and/or love of a character rather than an uncontrollable desire to read the stories. Literally all four of Bendis’ books on the list fall into those categories: the two Super books because I’ve been picking up the Super books for so long it would feel weird not to, and Young Justice and Legion because I’ve always loved the characters involved. Can’t say I would qualify any of the four Bendis books as “outstanding quality.”

Fantastic Member

I actually decided to go off the beaten path of the books I normally read and found that I really enjoyed Supergirl and Batgirl. Although I wouldn't be picking these books up outside of trades I found that I liked more books than I thought when I looked past the usual books I get.

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

I was avidly collecting Batman, Justice League, JLark, Wonder Woman and Aquaman so it was pretty small to start but now, thanks to DC's erratic inconsistencies I'm not collecting anything at all.
    That will change with Jorge Jimenez's Joker War issues. (I can't wait!!!)
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

I’ve been debating dropping modern DC, but I realized just now that maybe I just need to change how I engage with it. I’ve always viewed myself as a monthly comic fan, more interested in small-scale ongoings than big events. But now a lot of the monthly stuff feels like a waste of time — padded filler between events. At the same time, I’ve been enjoying limited series such as Jimmy Olsen and Wonder Twins. I also recently read Metal on the DC Universe app and was surprised by how much I liked it (at least until the rote ending). So maybe I need to reinvent myself as a reader, picking and choosing the better stories rather than expecting to be rewarded for monthly loyalty.

Astonishing Member kingaliencracker's Avatar

At my peak collecting I was probably spending roughly $200 on comic books. One month I actually went over $400.

But now? My pull is:

Superman
    Batman
    Flash
    Green Lantern
    Hulk
    Spider-Man
    Justice League
    Shazam

I am signed up for DC Universe, Comixology, and Marvel Unlimited so I've been going back and reading a lot of back issues digitally. I just don't have the investment with the current market that I once had, and there's virtually nothing out there right now that has me excited or is a "must read" every month.