Page 23 of 25 FirstFirst ... 1319202122232425 LastLast

Thread: Joker war

Quote Originally Posted by prepmaster View Post
    comics book peak human standards =/= real world peak human standards. The guy came back from having a broken back. Its still comics peak human because comics superhumans dont need to recover from injury in months. Batman with his standard gears is comics peak human while Batman with prep & armour could be considered comics superhuman.
    Well that confused me. I thought the appeal of Batman was how he was realistic and relatable because he has no powers.

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Stanlos View Post
    Well that confused me. I thought the appeal of Batman was how he was realistic and relatable because he has no powers.
    I'm really not trying to be facetious here but...you can't be for real. There's nothing realistic about Batman and never has been, but that doesn't mean he can't be relatable; any well written fictional character can be relatable no matter how powerful they are.

And I'm not sure what's all that confusing; Batman's popular and sells a lot of books where ever he appears which is why he's really part of the Justice League but in order for him to hang with characters like Superman and Wonder Woman it means he needs to be a bit beefier and use more weapons/armor than he does when he's wrestling with goons in the back allies of Gotham in his regular books.

If you're being overly literal than the differences would be jarring, I mean why wouldn't Bruce roll through Gotham in a giant tank and wear godkilling armor all the time? But if you understand the narrative needs to create tension it's obvious why he's written differently in different situations.
    Last edited by thwhtGuardian; 11-03-2020 at 03:07 PM.

BANNED

In comparision to comics superhumans, yes Batman is much more realistic when the setting is in Gotham. In JL comics, Batman is supposed to represent the best of humanity against other superpower god-like threats.
    Last edited by prepmaster; 11-03-2020 at 08:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    I'm really not trying to be facetious here but...you can't be for real. There's nothing realistic about Batman and never has been, but that doesn't mean he can't be relatable; any well written fictional character can be relatable no matter how powerful they are.

And I'm not sure what's all that confusing; Batman's popular and sells a lot of books where ever he appears which is why he's really part of the Justice League but in order for him to hang with characters like Superman and Wonder Woman it means he needs to be a bit beefier and use more weapons/armor than he does when he's wrestling with goons in the back allies of Gotham in his regular books.

If you're being overly literal than the differences would be jarring, I mean why wouldn't Bruce roll through Gotham in a giant tank and wear godkilling armor all the time? But if you understand the narrative needs to create tension it's obvious why he's written differently in different situations.
    The comment about hanging with the Kryptonian and the Amazon is kind of crazy though. It is like the crossfit scene in BVS. No matter how many tires Affleck pushes he is never going to be more than a gnat physically compared to either of those. He can't hang with them like that. He can however coordinate, detect, and infiltrate with the best of them. That is how you use him. Giffen and DeMatteis nailed it while Morrison and others were probably using one or more controlled substances.

Now I am going to go find an old priest and a young priest to help me with this notion that Batman isn't realistic. I am shocked. Shook, even.

The comment about hanging with the Kryptonian and the Amazon is kind of crazy though. It is like the crossfit scene in BVS. No matter how many tires Affleck pushes he is never going to be more than a gnat physically compared to either of those. He can't hang with them like that. He can however coordinate, detect, and infiltrate with the best of them. That is how you use him. Giffen and DeMatteis nailed it while Morrison and others were probably using one or more controlled substances.

Now I am going to go find an old priest and a young priest to help me with this notion that Batman isn't realistic. I am shocked. Shook, even.
    It's really not any crazier than him kicking a tree in half or punching a guy so hard he goes flying through a brick wall or the fact that said random guy was totally fine afterwards.
    It's the rule of cool and its always been the rule with Batman.

He is kinda realistic in his first few comics. I mean, it is feasible someone could shoot someone, impale them on a knife, or push them off a building or bridge and kill them whilst dressed in a rather odd costume. lol

i cant relate with batman im not rich
    "He's pure power and doesn't even know it. He's the best of us."-Matt Murdock

"I need a reason to take the mask off."-Peter Parker

"My heart half-breaks at how easy it is to lie to him. It breaks all the way when he believes me without question." Felicia Hardy

Quote Originally Posted by Jman27 View Post
    i cant relate with batman im not rich
    Because he is a multi-millionaire rather than a multi-billionaire now?

Quote Originally Posted by maninthemacintosh1606 View Post
    Because he is a multi-millionaire rather than a multi-billionaire now?
    rich is rich isnt it. Plus could Batman have work if he wasnt Bruce Wayne? Like if it was some poor kid parents who was shot instead would the story still work?

"My heart half-breaks at how easy it is to lie to him. It breaks all the way when he believes me without question." Felicia Hardy

BANNED

rich is rich isnt it. Plus could Batman have work if he wasnt Bruce Wayne? Like if it was some poor kid parents who was shot instead would the story still work?
    The guy would still be a vigilante but a less effective one.

Quote Originally Posted by prepmaster View Post
    The guy would still be a vigilante but a less effective one.
    yeah i figure

Well... I think the reason he was created as being rich in the first place wasn't really to allow him to have high tech expensive gadgets but because the character was -probably organically rather than self-consciously - fitting the trope of similar characters pulp fiction and other influences, going all the way back to The Scarlet Pimpernel. I think if a similar character was created today he would probably not be created as megarich/inherited wealth

Quote Originally Posted by maninthemacintosh1606 View Post
    Well... I think the reason he was created as being rich in the first place wasn't really to allow him to have high tech expensive gadgets but because the character was -probably organically rather than self-consciously - fitting the trope of similar characters pulp fiction and other influences, going all the way back to The Scarlet Pimpernel. I think if a similar character was created today he would probably not be created as megarich/inherited wealth
    I don't think you can separate the playboy facade from the character and maintain anything similar enough to call it Batman.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

He is... for people who only see superheroes as powers, and for the casual audience whose knowledge of Batman is based on the realistic depiction like Nolan trilogy or Gotham.

The more correct description, if we're talking about people who watch or read him fighting alongside Justice League and other heroes would be Batman's appeal is how he can keep up with superheroes with superpowers.

So he's a symbol of the best of a normal human, even though he's technically not normal, he's the token human.

Oh I might as well add that the appeal of Batman for me personally is because I think the bat costume is cool as a kid, I like detective stories as a teen, and I like the Manor as an adult

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    I don't think you can separate the playboy facade from the character and maintain anything similar enough to call it Batman.
    I can because he's never a playboy long enough in comics and screen for it to matter, for me it's almost like it's not there.

The rich part is harder because The Manor and the butler is so iconic.
    Last edited by Restingvoice; 11-08-2020 at 05:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    I can because he's never a playboy long enough in comics and screen for it to matter, for me it's almost like it's not there.

The rich part is harder because The Manor and the butler is so iconic.
    And the gadgets. He needs some kind of income or resources to be able to put together all the established Batman stuff.