Page 1 of 25 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Joker war

Spectacular Member

Default Joker war

Just curious on feedback as to whether or not one might need to read all of the TIE IN books for the upcoming JOKER WAR summer series? I only collect Batman, but not sure if I have to pick up the other books to enjoy the series more or can get by with just reading the Batman run?
    The main story of the event will take place in Batman #95-100. However, it will also be a major story point in Nightwing #70-75, Detective Comics #1022-1026, Batgirl #47-50, Harley Quinn #75, Catwoman #25-26, Red Hood: Outlaw #48 and Batman: The Joker War Zone.

Picking up all the extra books will certainly impact the size of my wallet, but will it halt me from enjoying the story?

Don't Bully a Hurt Dragon Sergard's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hoopsguru View Post
    Just curious on feedback as to whether or not one might need to read all of the TIE IN books for the upcoming JOKER WAR summer series? I only collect Batman, but not sure if I have to pick up the other books to enjoy the series more or can get by with just reading the Batman run?
    The main story of the event will take place in Batman #95-100. However, it will also be a major story point in Nightwing #70-75, Detective Comics #1022-1026, Batgirl #47-50, Harley Quinn #75, Catwoman #25-26, Red Hood: Outlaw #48 and Batman: The Joker War Zone.

Picking up all the extra books will certainly impact the size of my wallet, but will it halt me from enjoying the story?
    I'd add Batman: The Joker War Zone to your pull list since the solicitation sounds important and it's written by Tynion IV (the current Batman writer) and others.
    The rest looks skippable. Reading tie-ins is like doing side quests in a game: Optional and not important for the main plot.

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

I think you should be fine reading just the Batman issues. Joker War Zone is written by Tynion and he said it will be important for his 2021 plans, so that may be necessary. Also if you are a nightwing fan, those issues will be where Dick comes back.

There is a checklist somewhere, found it https://www.cbr.com/batman-dc-joker-war-checklist/

I just read batman and detective. I'll grab the trade the tie in book later. I hate that they do this, those other books aren't selling so they cross it over.

I'm not expecting joker war to be mind blowing. After Snyder's joker stuff and kings joker/riddler stuff I could of used a break from joker. Seeing as we have no idea how long tynion will be on bats (prob at least 45 to 50 issues) I'm glad he's doing him early in the run.

Incredible Member

He seems to be breaking up Batman and Catwoman, which is SUCH a joke after the last four years of Batman stories. Clearly this guy didn't like them together and it was just so easy to split them up after they promised to be "married in spirit" wasn't it? What, 8 issues in and they've barely spoken to each other at all? Wouldn't have been that easy if they had actually tied the knot! Thanks, Tom King. Should have married them for real.

This guy never should have been tapped to take over Batman. Should have been Tom Taylor.

Quote Originally Posted by lilyrose View Post
    He seems to be breaking up Batman and Catwoman, which is SUCH a joke after the last four years of Batman stories. Clearly this guy didn't like them together and it was just so easy to split them up after they promised to be "married in spirit" wasn't it? What, 8 issues in and they've barely spoken to each other at all? Wouldn't have been that easy if they had actually tied the knot! Thanks, Tom King. Should have married them for real.

This guy never should have been tapped to take over Batman. Should have been Tom Taylor.
    Tom King was originaly due to do 100 issues, but only did 85. He had plans to conclude his Bat/Cat storyline. I forgot why his run got shortenned, but he sayd he will conclude the Bat/Cat storyline in a mini-serie. So probably that the break-up is part of King's plan and not some stupid Tynion's idea.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by jb681131 View Post
    Tom King was originaly due to do 100 issues, but only did 85. He had plans to conclude his Bat/Cat storyline. I forgot why his run got shortenned, but he sayd he will conclude the Bat/Cat storyline in a mini-serie. So probably that the break-up is part of King's plan and not some stupid Tynion's idea.
    I don't think so. Tynion just said he considers King's Bat/Cat book to be out of continuity and not affecting his story. And then King and Clay Mann kind of clapped back on twitter about that, so I don't quite know what's going on there, but either way, it's very obvious to me that Tynion does not like them as a couple.

Quote Originally Posted by Bad Witch View Post
    I'm not expecting joker war to be mind blowing. After Snyder's joker stuff and kings joker/riddler stuff I could of used a break from joker. Seeing as we have no idea how long tynion will be on bats (prob at least 45 to 50 issues) I'm glad he's doing him early in the run.
    I agree that Snyder's Joker stuff was awfull. But King's was ok I guess.
    And I think Tynion's story will be a big thing because here in France, his run is collected as "Joker War" (the crossovers/spin-offs might as well be included, I don't know). So I think the plan is that his entire run will focuse on the Joker and Tynion didn't say his run was going to be just a filler.

I don't think so. Tynion just said he considers King's Bat/Cat book to be out of continuity and not affecting his story. And then King and Clay Mann kind of clapped back on twitter about that, so I don't quite know what's going on there, but either way, it's very obvious to me that Tynion does not like them as a couple.
    Maybe, but do you know why King's run got shortenned and offered a mini (that hasn't be announced yet) to conclude his bat/cat thing ?
    Anyway, King is an Eisner Award Winner writter so, in the end I think Tynion will have to deal with King's bat/cat choice.

Incredible Member

Maybe, but do you know why King's run got shortenned and offered a mini (that hasn't be announced yet) to conclude his bat/cat thing ?
    Anyway, King is an Eisner Award Winner writter so, in the end I think Tynion will have to deal with King's bat/cat choice.
    I hope so. Again, King did post a kind of response to this on his twitter and instagram today (as did Mann yesterday). Let's hope it's just that good, that it forces acknowledgment from everywhere else.

But I am very suspicious over how long it's been postponed. I don't think this is about Mann not being able to keep up with the art anymore either- I think it's something to do with the top brass and I don't know what it is.

I agree that Snyder's Joker stuff was awfull. But King's was ok I guess.
    And I think Tynion's story will be a big thing because here in France, his run is collected as "Joker War" (the crossovers/spin-offs might as well be included, I don't know). So I think the plan is that his entire run will focuse on the Joker and Tynion didn't say his run was going to be just a filler.

I didn't think Snyder's joker stuff was aful..I quite liked it. Kings riddler and joker stuff was bad imo.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

wasn't it because he has to write for New Gods series and DC was scared of the one big change that happens once his run is concluded? I'm still unclear on that big change, if it's the marriage or the child, but we know it's not Alfred's death.

So the BatCat status is still up in the air? They're still in a relationship but they're deliberately vague on marriage?

Quote Originally Posted by hoopsguru View Post

The big change that will happen is Nightwing coming back, and he will visit Batman in #95-100 so out of all tie-in that seems to be the most important, but how important it is in relation to Joker War, as in, if you can just read Batman to see Nightwing back or if you need to read Nightwing, I don't know.

The story of Nightwing is Joker and Punchline going to pit him, brainwashed against the rest of the family

The one Red Hood tie-in is about a brainwashed Nightwing led to attack Red Hood. So pretty sure you can skip this.

One Batgirl tie-in is about James Jr. attacking Barbara

The rest I don't know.
    Last edited by Restingvoice; 06-14-2020 at 09:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bad Witch View Post
    I didn't think Snyder's joker stuff was aful..I quite liked it. Kings riddler and joker stuff was bad imo.
    Well let me tell you why I found Snyder's Joker stuff so bad, I will only talk about Death in the Familly:
    - simple plot
    - unecessary crossover
    - how can all the bat-members get fooled so easilly by a vilain they perfectly know about !?
    - the conclusion is not even grand !
    - the dialogues and actions are flat
    What more do you need for a poorly written and handled story ?

It's probably the worstly written Joker story in all of Batman's history.

Spectacular Member agentofthebat's Avatar

Im pumped for this

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

I honestly don't think he's breaking them up, I think they may be seperated for a bit while joker war is going on though so Bruce can focus on taking out Joker and saving the city. As for whether batman/catwoman is continuity, I think King and Mann are just saying those tweets to keep fans of the ship happy. They have no control over what Tynion and the editors will do.