Page 5 of 25 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: Joker war

Incredible Member

Isn't his money how he actually has all that tech and stuff? The car, the gadgets, the ability to track/trace. I mean, he kinda couldn't do all that without a ton of money

Quote Originally Posted by lilyrose View Post
    Isn't his money how he actually has all that tech and stuff? The car, the gadgets, the ability to track/trace. I mean, he kinda couldn't do all that without a ton of money
    Exactly, he’d be forced to operate with limited means. Adversity and conflict are the lifeblood of serial fiction.

I could swear that we have something similar happening in Batman Eternal. Or i'm wrong?.
    "Wow. You made Spider-Man sad, congratulations. I stabbed The Hulk last week"
    Wolverine, Venom Annual # 1 (2018)
    Nobody does it better by Jeff Loveness

"I am Thou, Thou Art I"
    Persona

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TheCape View Post
    I could swear that we have something similar happening in Batman Eternal. Or i'm wrong?.
    Yep, that's why I wasn't too impressed on this one

Quote Originally Posted by DragonPiece View Post
    Preview for the first part of joker war as well as a interview with Tynion: https://www.comicsbeat.com/james-tyn...ss-conference/

New info

-He worked most closely with Jurgens and Tomasi on joker war, other writers mostly did their own thing
    -He wants his Joker to be more of a gang leader compared to King and Snyder, who wrote Joker as a individual character in their stories
    -Stripping Batman's wealth away from the cahracter will allow for telling stories without the messy questions surrounding his money
    -Bruce wasting so much money on being batman and being part of the 1% will be explored in his run, but after joker war
    -joker war zone one shot was created because they had more time do the lockdown
    -ghost maker will be a big charater, showing up at the end of 100. Not exactly a villain, Jimenez designed the character and we will get more details next month
    -Joker War will involve healing a lot of rifts in the bat family and will lead to a more robust batfam going into 2021
    -Harper Row is coming back simply because Tynion loves the character
    -Because he just got finished working on justice league and death metal, he wants to just focus on gotham and doesn't want any other heroes in his run
    -The Catwoman tie in issues will be important, dealing with how other villains react to Joker War. It will impact what happens in both batman and catwoman
    I know there was a thread about Bruce being too rich but I don't think it's really that big a deal. I haven't really seen any "messy questions." I guess it'll be interesting to see it more in-focus than it was during Eternal.

I mean, the current drama with the Batfamily felt so manufactured, so ending that feels good as long as it's fair to both sides instead of becoming the Bruce apology tour. I'd like a more robust and together Batfamily but that probably depends on the writers and if Tynion won't revert back to more "everyone against Bruce" drama.

I kind of figured Tynion wouldn't resist bringing Harper back again.
    Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    Yep, that's why I wasn't too impressed on this one
    And Tynion was involved in that story, so...

It’s a small thing and wholly unimportant in the grand scheme of life, but man is it weird/dumb to have Batman and Tec continue to ship on the same week.

Not wrong, but Eternal was one long and not super great story, more or less. My point was to see Batman involved in multiple arcs for an extended period while "poor", cobbling together whatever gear he needs using his smarts. Even finding his way across Gotham without his various flying saucer equivalents could prove a challenge. Maybe he'll have to drive a souped-up muscle car, like in the upcoming movie (awaiting the howls of protest).

Anyway, I think it would be cool to see what writers come up with. How would he keep his armoured uniform repaired? What happens if his cowl electronics go on the fritz? Maybe he runs out of batarangs and has to angle grind some rough-cut new ones? Meanwhile, he's doing his best to get around and fight human traffickers, drug dealers, sewer monsters and, most of all, solving actual mysteries.

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Yeah it was used briefly in Eternal and there was a story in the digital first revamp of Legends of the Dark Knight that came out around that time that took it more head on with Ra's shorting Wayne Industries in order to make a better Batman.

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cgh View Post
    How would he keep his armoured uniform repaired? What happens if his cowl electronics go on the fritz? Maybe he runs out of batarangs and has to angle grind some rough-cut new ones? Meanwhile, he's doing his best to get around and fight human traffickers, drug dealers, sewer monsters and, most of all, solving actual mysteries.
    This reminds me of the YEAR ONE movie never made and its the only good thing I can say about Joker War
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GcsYhYsHwuM

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I know there was a thread about Bruce being too rich but I don't think it's really that big a deal. I haven't really seen any "messy questions." I guess it'll be interesting to see it more in-focus than it was during Eternal.

I mean, the current drama with the Batfamily felt so manufactured, so ending that feels good as long as it's fair to both sides instead of becoming the Bruce apology tour. I'd like a more robust and together Batfamily but that probably depends on the writers and if Tynion won't revert back to more "everyone against Bruce" drama.
    I think Bruce has a lot to apologize for.
    He beat Jason so hard he couldn't walk for weeks because Jason "broke their agreement" when he didn't.
    First confronted Dick with the night he got shot to trigger his memory, then after Dick stormed off he didn't do anything anymore.
    He hasn't been a father to Damian in ages.

And if we want to talk about Bruce's own books, punching allies like Gordon in the face, hitting family members in the face to send messages, leaving the city to Bane for months and forbidding his family from entering, thus eroding the public's trust in heroes, trusting that Thomas won't shoot Damian based on pretty bold assumptions, drowning himself in his grief after Alfred's death like he does everytime someone dies instead of acting like a leader.
    I think the issues the others had with Bruce weren't manufactured at all. It was long overdue that Bruce got confronted for some of it.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DragonPiece View Post
    Preview for the first part of joker war as well as a interview with Tynion: https://www.comicsbeat.com/james-tyn...ss-conference/

New info

-He worked most closely with Jurgens and Tomasi on joker war, other writers mostly did their own thing
    -He wants his Joker to be more of a gang leader compared to King and Snyder, who wrote Joker as a individual character in their stories
    -Stripping Batman's wealth away from the cahracter will allow for telling stories without the messy questions surrounding his money
    -Bruce wasting so much money on being batman and being part of the 1% will be explored in his run, but after joker war
    -joker war zone one shot was created because they had more time do the lockdown
    -ghost maker will be a big charater, showing up at the end of 100. Not exactly a villain, Jimenez designed the character and we will get more details next month
    -Joker War will involve healing a lot of rifts in the bat family and will lead to a more robust batfam going into 2021
    -Harper Row is coming back simply because Tynion loves the character
    -Because he just got finished working on justice league and death metal, he wants to just focus on gotham and doesn't want any other heroes in his run
    -The Catwoman tie in issues will be important, dealing with how other villains react to Joker War. It will impact what happens in both batman and catwoman
    Jurgens because Nightwing returns, Tomasi because Detective Comics
    What messy questions?
    Oh that one
    So the money problem will continue in the series for as long as possible, it's not just a one-time thing. Okay, that's more interesting, because Eternal was cleaned up real quick.
    Is Ghost Maker the one in Detective Comics' recent cover? The one in all-white?

Astonishing Member

I think (hope anyway) that this storyline will reveal that, despite having money and the means to supply himself, Batman can be just as formidable without it.

Quote Originally Posted by Somecrazyaussie View Post
    I think (hope anyway) that this storyline will reveal that, despite having money and the means to supply himself, Batman can be just as formidable without it.
    Agreed, if that doesn't happen, I don't see the point of the whole story.

if bruce wayne was a poor kid instead of a rich kid in gotham could he still be batman?
    "He's pure power and doesn't even know it. He's the best of us."-Matt Murdock

"I need a reason to take the mask off."-Peter Parker

"My heart half-breaks at how easy it is to lie to him. It breaks all the way when he believes me without question." Felicia Hardy

Quote Originally Posted by Astralabius View Post
    I think Bruce has a lot to apologize for.
    He beat Jason so hard he couldn't walk for weeks because Jason "broke their agreement" when he didn't.
    First confronted Dick with the night he got shot to trigger his memory, then after Dick stormed off he didn't do anything anymore.
    He hasn't been a father to Damian in ages.

And if we want to talk about Bruce's own books, punching allies like Gordon in the face, hitting family members in the face to send messages, leaving the city to Bane for months and forbidding his family from entering, thus eroding the public's trust in heroes, trusting that Thomas won't shoot Damian based on pretty bold assumptions, drowning himself in his grief after Alfred's death like he does everytime someone dies instead of acting like a leader.
    I think the issues the others had with Bruce weren't manufactured at all. It was long overdue that Bruce got confronted for some of it.
    Most of that didn't come up in the big "pile on Bruce" story. They were mostly blaming him for stuff he didn't have control over.
    Quote Originally Posted by Somecrazyaussie View Post
    Didn't we already go through this during Eternal? I think this was even the case briefly during the Under the Red Hood era after War Games.