Default What a HALLOW'S web we EVE #1 Spoilers & Review

Happy Wednesday, everyone! If you're like me, you absolutely loved today's initial issue of the Hallows' Eve miniseries, starring the One, True Spider-Man's girlfriend: Janine Godby!

Seriously: I thought this issue was about as good as it gets. It clicked all the boxes that needed clicking, including some gorgeous art.

As always, here are my thoughts as I enjoy a second read-through:

1) We start with an excellent cover. Janine looks legit menacing in her costume, and we get to see some masks in her bag that I don't believe we've seen her use before. I'm most curious about what the devil mask does.

2) The story begins with Janine walking the streets of NYC. Suddenly, she sees her own face on a giant screen: WANTED FOR MURDER. So she ducks into an alley and, with the help of a Marilyn Monroe mask, casually continues her stroll into a bank.

NOTE: Not only is Janine's inner monologue instantly compelling and humanizing, but I also want to point out how great her character synopsis is, in that it really boils down her character's history and her current status quite nicely in just a few sentences.

3. Back to the action: Janine switches from the Marilyn mask to her ghost mask, which offers intangibility and invisibility; thus allowing her to enter the bank's vault with ease. We also get her commenting on the privilege of believing one's secrets can be locked away, while the art shows some fun things in the safety deposit boxes, including a certain issue of Amazing Fantasy and a Hulk action figure. It must be noted that Janine looks VERY COOL in her ghostly form.

4. Unfortunately, the intangibility of her ghost form prevents her from picking up all the money she plans to steal. "I'm not greedy -- I just need enough for us to disappear... for good this time." Off the mask goes, and with it goes her invisibility as well. But this alerts the security guard, who demands Janine freeze.

5. Instead, she applies her werewolf mask with its accompanying strength and agility power-up. Janine has no problems taking out the guard with a single slash of her claws, yet shows restraint and even sympathy for him as she easily escapes.

6. However, it isn't long at all before some interested parties begin poking around to learn more about what happened at the bank: one such person is a Detective Shari Sebbens; the other is none other than DIRECTOR DANGER -- Maxine, if you're nasty -- the boss b!tch behind Ben and Janine's woes with Beyond Corp!

7. Meanwhile, Janine heads home -- which for her right now means a couch and tv in an unfinished apartment building. Here, Janine is able to relax and let her thoughts drift to her beau and our boy, Ben Reilly. She thinks about their past, remembering motorcycle rides together and maybe forgetting that Ben had long brown hair back then She hopes that she can bust Ben out of limbo and laments that she roughed up the security guard earlier.

IMPORTANT NOTE: Janine is uneasy about the vampire mask because, apparently, its powers also come with the desire to drink blood -- AND I LOVE the notion that using these masks may bring unintended consequences to Janine. It makes her powerset so much more interesting and dynamic, methinks.

8. Back at the bank, Detective Sebbens and the police are doing their thing. Sebbens herself spots what appears to be some leftover werewolf fur from Janine, but it's bagged and tagged by an undercover Maxine Danger, whose operatives have infiltrated the crime scene. They even attempt to kidnap the injured security guard before Sebbens can finish questioning him! But then TWIST: the security guard transforms into a werewolf himself! Bum BUM BUMMMMMMM!!!!!

ANOTHER NOTE: I love how Janine's actions, as well-meaning as they might be, have directly led to the creation of an antagonist all her own. I don't necessarily expect a future Hallows' Eve ongoing, but I will say that the success of a superhero comic rests mightily on the rogue's gallery of said comic. So it's really great to see that, in her very first solo issue, we're already presented with characters who could function as recurring antagonists: Werewolf Cop, Maxine Danger, and maybe Detective Sebbens as well.

SIDE NOTE: I can't help but wonder if the mention of Kaine at the beginning of this issue might be foreshadowing his appearance in a later issue. After all, he was listed alongside Beyond Corp and "the media," both of whom played a role in this issue to various degrees. I, for one, would absolutely love to see Kaine and Janine meet again, especially considering the new status quo that each finds themselves in. (Also, Hallows' Eve vs Hummingbird might be fun as well!)

9. Anyway, Maxine takes off with her sample, and a stunned Janine watches the guard's transformation on her tv, realizing that she's "stacked the deck against him" and, I'm guessing, feeling the need to do something about it!

And that's it! An excellent first issue with great characterization of Janine, the return of Maxine Danger, and plenty of intrigue about what might come in future issues! Beyond and Dark Web may have left a bad taste in our mouths, but I have to says I enjoyed every page of the issue. If you haven't read it yet, I hope you'll give it a buy and a read-through!

Thanks to all those who share their thoughts on the issue!

-Pav, who also hopes that Maxine might send out the Slingers to take down Hallows' Eve in a future issue...
    You were Spider-Man then. You and Peter had agreed on it. But he came back right when you started feeling comfortable.
    You know what it means when he comes back

"You're not the better one, Peter. You're just older."
    --------------------
    Closet full of comics? Consider donating to my school! DM for details

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

I'm hoping Janine/Hallow's Eve takes down Maxine Danger for everything Maxine did to her and Ben. It would be very satisfying, though I am also hoping for an appearance from Kaine like we should have gotten in Beyond and/or Dark Web. That said, I'd say this was a lot better than anticipated after Dark Web . . . and considering how low that anticipation was . . . that's very much something. All in all, I'm looking forward to the next issue, and as some people pointed out in the thread for this issue's preview, she better not go the same way as Star from Captain Marvel.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

So happy to the your rundown, Pav! Been waiting for this.

I think Erica Schultz wrote up a masterclass in establishing character, theme, tone and stakes all in a single issue. Janine feels very true to life--a person dealt a nasty hand in life who decided to stop playing fair, but is hesitant to do do it ruthlessly and at the cost of other people around her. This contrasts her nicely with Maxine--an "%^&* you, got mine" kind of person.

Is there a way to navigate an unjust world without stepping over the heads of others? This is a compelling theme, and something I am very interested to see play out. What kind of person are your ready to become for your goals?

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    I'm hoping Janine/Hallow's Eve takes down Maxine Danger for everything Maxine did to her and Ben. It would be very satisfying, though I am also hoping for an appearance from Kaine like we should have gotten in Beyond and/or Dark Web. That said, I'd say this was a lot better than anticipated after Dark Web . . . and considering how low that anticipation was . . . that's very much something. All in all, I'm looking forward to the next issue, and as some people pointed out in the thread for this issue's preview, she better not go the same way as Star from Captain Marvel.
    Star's time was always limited once we found out her power source was an Infinity Stone.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Pav View Post
    Happy Wednesday, everyone! If you're like me, you absolutely loved today's initial issue of the Hallows' Eve miniseries, starring the One, True Spider-Man's girlfriend: Janine Godby!

Seriously: I thought this issue was about as good as it gets. It clicked all the boxes that needed clicking, including some gorgeous art.

1) We start with an excellent cover. Janine looks legit menacing in her costume, and we get to see some masks in her bag that I don't believe we've seen her use before. I'm most curious about what the devil mask does.

2) The story begins with Janine walking the streets of NYC. Suddenly, she sees her own face on a giant screen: WANTED FOR MURDER. So she ducks into an alley and, with the help of a Marilyn Monroe mask, casually continues her stroll into a bank.

NOTE: Not only is Janine's inner monologue instantly compelling and humanizing, but I also want to point out how great her character synopsis is, in that it really boils down her character's history and her current status quite nicely in just a few sentences.

3. Back to the action: Janine switches from the Marilyn mask to her ghost mask, which offers intangibility and invisibility; thus allowing her to enter the bank's vault with ease. We also get her commenting on the privilege of believing one's secrets can be locked away, while the art shows some fun things in the safety deposit boxes, including a certain issue of Amazing Fantasy and a Hulk action figure. It must be noted that Janine looks VERY COOL in her ghostly form.

4. Unfortunately, the intangibility of her ghost form prevents her from picking up all the money she plans to steal. "I'm not greedy -- I just need enough for us to disappear... for good this time." Off the mask goes, and with it goes her invisibility as well. But this alerts the security guard, who demands Janine freeze.

5. Instead, she applies her werewolf mask with its accompanying strength and agility power-up. Janine has no problems taking out the guard with a single slash of her claws, yet shows restraint and even sympathy for him as she easily escapes.

6. However, it isn't long at all before some interested parties begin poking around to learn more about what happened at the bank: one such person is a Detective Shari Sebbens; the other is none other than DIRECTOR DANGER -- Maxine, if you're nasty -- the boss b!tch behind Ben and Janine's woes with Beyond Corp!

7. Meanwhile, Janine heads home -- which for her right now means a couch and tv in an unfinished apartment building. Here, Janine is able to relax and let her thoughts drift to her beau and our boy, Ben Reilly. She thinks about their past, remembering motorcycle rides together and maybe forgetting that Ben had long brown hair back then She hopes that she can bust Ben out of limbo and laments that she roughed up the security guard earlier.

IMPORTANT NOTE: Janine is uneasy about the vampire mask because, apparently, its powers also come with the desire to drink blood -- AND I LOVE the notion that using these masks may bring unintended consequences to Janine. It makes her powerset so much more interesting and dynamic, methinks.

8. Back at the bank, Detective Sebbens and the police are doing their thing. Sebbens herself spots what appears to be some leftover werewolf fur from Janine, but it's bagged and tagged by an undercover Maxine Danger, whose operatives have infiltrated the crime scene. They even attempt to kidnap the injured security guard before Sebbens can finish questioning him! But then TWIST: the security guard transforms into a werewolf himself! Bum BUM BUMMMMMMM!!!!!

ANOTHER NOTE: I love how Janine's actions, as well-meaning as they might be, have directly led to the creation of an antagonist all her own. I don't necessarily expect a future Hallows' Eve ongoing, but I will say that the success of a superhero comic rests mightily on the rogue's gallery of said comic. So it's really great to see that, in her very first solo issue, we're already presented with characters who could function as recurring antagonists: Werewolf Cop, Maxine Danger, and maybe Detective Sebbens as well.

SIDE NOTE: I can't help but wonder if the mention of Kaine at the beginning of this issue might be foreshadowing his appearance in a later issue. After all, he was listed alongside Beyond Corp and "the media," both of whom played a role in this issue to various degrees. I, for one, would absolutely love to see Kaine and Janine meet again, especially considering the new status quo that each finds themselves in. (Also, Hallows' Eve vs Hummingbird might be fun as well!)

9. Anyway, Maxine takes off with her sample, and a stunned Janine watches the guard's transformation on her tv, realizing that she's "stacked the deck against him" and, I'm guessing, feeling the need to do something about it!

And that's it! An excellent first issue with great characterization of Janine, the return of Maxine Danger, and plenty of intrigue about what might come in future issues! Beyond and Dark Web may have left a bad taste in our mouths, but I have to says I enjoyed every page of the issue. If you haven't read it yet, I hope you'll give it a buy and a read-through!

-Pav, who also hopes that Maxine might send out the Slingers to take down Hallows' Eve in a future issue...
    Seems like Janine is getting her uncle Ben moment

Quote Originally Posted by Alex_Of_X View Post
    So happy to the your rundown, Pav! Been waiting for this.

I think Erica Schultz wrote up a masterclass in establishing character, theme, tone and stakes all in a single issue. Janine feels very true to life--a person dealt a nasty hand in life who decided to stop playing fair, but is hesitant to do do it ruthlessly and at the cost of other people around her. This contrasts her nicely with Maxine--an "%^&* you, got mine" kind of person.

Is there a way to navigate an unjust world without stepping over the heads of others? This is a compelling theme, and something I am very interested to see play out. What kind of person are your ready to become for your goals?
    That's a very interesting and potentially compelling summation of things starting out.

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Star's time was always limited once we found out her power source was an Infinity Stone.
    Fair enough.

Quote Originally Posted by rward777 View Post
    Seems like Janine is getting her uncle Ben moment
    Hmm, maybe, but how will she react to it, I wonder? I guess that'll be the crux of the next four issues of this mini.

You know, with Janine talking about how she hates using the vampire mask, the reveal that the masks can pass on their curse to another like a real monster and that Maxine is the antagonist, I’m hoping that this is gonna be foreshadowing of Maxine getting a nice dose of karma with Janine using the vampire mask on her and in turn turns her into a monster.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Pav View Post

Agreed. I was pleasantly surprised by how good this issue was. I'm biased because Lost Years and Redemption were a big part of my formative years, but I think Janine is one of the more interesting love interests any version of Spidey has ever had, and just a great character in general.

Quote Originally Posted by Kurolegacy View Post
    You know, with Janine talking about how she hates using the vampire mask, the reveal that the masks can pass on their curse to another like a real monster and that Maxine is the antagonist, I’m hoping that this is gonna be foreshadowing of Maxine getting a nice dose of karma with Janine using the vampire mask on her and in turn turns her into a monster.
    And then she just needs an Eric Brooks mask.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

To become on the outside what she already is on the inside? Yes, that would be good karmic retribution.

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    To become on the outside what she already is on the inside? Yes, that would be good karmic retribution.
    Plus it would be a nice karmic callback to how she was willing to allow the possibility of Ben becoming a vampire after his run in with Morbius.

Plus it would be a nice karmic callback to how she was willing to allow the possibility of Ben becoming a vampire after his run in with Morbius.
    Thanks for the reminder.

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    And then she just needs an Eric Brooks mask.
    Say what you will, but I'd love to see her adopted in the darker, more supernatural side of Marvel. You know, the Dr. Strange, Blade, Ghostrider, Midnight sons stuff. I think she could fit right in.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan2099 View Post
    Say what you will, but I'd love to see her adopted in the darker, more supernatural side of Marvel. You know, the Dr. Strange, Blade, Ghostrider, Midnight sons stuff. I think she could fit right in.
    She could even bring Ben with her. Between Damnation and Dark Web, he’s certainly dipped his toes in the supernatural side of things.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan2099 View Post
    She could even bring Ben with her. Between Damnation and Dark Web, he’s certainly dipped his toes in the supernatural side of things.
    Works for me, and it would certainly give him his own unique niche (away) from Peter, if that's what the Spider-Office is worrying so much about.