Spectacular Member

Default Whatever happened to DC's new age if heroes?

Hi guys

A few years ago, DC launched a series that introduced DC's new age of heroes and introduced Sideways and Damage.

Whatever happened to these heroes and the series as a whole?

Most of them ended up getting cancelled. Sideways has just joined Young Justice. One book, The Terrifics, is still being published (albeit digital only), but has dropped the New Age of Heroes branding and ends in three months.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    ...The Terrifics, is still being published (albeit digital only)...ends in three months.
    ^^^well that sucks.

Yeah, the idea went by the wayside.
    TBF most of the books ranged from boring/generic to bad/generic.
    As a CHALLENGERS OF THE UNKNIWN fan, I straight up wanted to kick a puppy at how bad -that- particular book was.
    Sideways was okay.
    The Terrifics lived up to its name and was/is terrific.
    Damage (a Hulk homage at DC done right) was a personal favorite, and I was sad to see it go.

The same thing that has happened with just about every new wave/generation initiative the company has tried. For whatever reason DC has an even harder time generating new characters with staying power than Marvel. Jessica Cruz was probably their most notable one in recent years.

Quote Originally Posted by Holt View Post
    The same thing that has happened with just about every new wave/generation initiative the company has tried. For whatever reason DC has an even harder time generating new characters with staying power than Marvel. Jessica Cruz was probably their most notable one in recent years.
    Would we say the entire Champions Generation has staying power if only because they've been consistently featured in stories? Because I wouldn't put Sam!Nova, Cho, or Nadia on par with, like, Miles or Kamala.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Would we say the entire Champions Generation has staying power if only because they've been consistently featured in stories? Because I wouldn't put Sam!Nova, Cho, or Nadia on par with, like, Miles or Kamala.
    And yet they're still around and/or fresh enough in their most recent appearances compared to just about any of DC's more recent new additions sans, arguably, Jessica Cruz.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by J. D. Guy View Post
    And yet they're still around and/or fresh enough in their most recent appearances compared to just about any of DC's more recent new additions sans, arguably, Jessica Cruz.
    Jon Kent is also still around, and you could potentially also count some of the members of the current iteration of Teen Titans (Emiko, Wally West II).

But both companies hardly ever mange to get non legacy characters of the ground, and DC had more legacy characters to benign with, which makes it harder for them to add new ones.

I think the main problem with the lack of success for non legacy characters is how the companies package them. 30 years ago to 40 years ago, you could put out a new character in a solo book and it would thrive because of good stories and a lack line wide banners on the top of the cover. Look at Firestorm. In the late 70s through the 80s, he was a big deal. Had a comic go 100 issues, joined the JLA, heck, he was on Superfriends. Power Man and Iron Fist were successful because they were different. The original New Warriors were a hit that lasted 75 issue during the 90s and could have lasted longer if it weren’t for the comic overloading market stall. Let’s say DC decided two years ago they were going to put out, say, Sideways and The Terriffics. Then, six months later, Damage and Silencer. The titles might have had a better shelf life staggered as opposed to,”Hey, here is a half dozen titles to try out all at once.”
    Just my opinion, I could be wrong.

BANNED

Bombed because majority don't want them.

Quote Originally Posted by Superfly Frankenstein View Post
    I think the main problem with the lack of success for non legacy characters is how the companies package them. 30 years ago to 40 years ago, you could put out a new character in a solo book and it would thrive because of good stories and a lack line wide banners on the top of the cover. Look at Firestorm. In the late 70s through the 80s, he was a big deal. Had a comic go 100 issues, joined the JLA, heck, he was on Superfriends. Power Man and Iron Fist were successful because they were different. The original New Warriors were a hit that lasted 75 issue during the 90s and could have lasted longer if it weren’t for the comic overloading market stall. Let’s say DC decided two years ago they were going to put out, say, Sideways and The Terriffics. Then, six months later, Damage and Silencer. The titles might have had a better shelf life staggered as opposed to,”Hey, here is a half dozen titles to try out all at once.”
    Yeah, your idea is more to my liking; it’s more organic.
    Even if the characters don’t garner long runs, their chances of being incorporated into the wider DCU (as opposed to disappearing) are better.

Forcing a ton of characters out all at once never really pans out.
    In 1993 both Marvel and DC used their annuals to debut new characters. DC connected all theirs under the BLOODLINES event. Marvel’s were unconnected as far as I remember.
    Of the BLOODLINES event, Hitman went on to have his 15 minutes of fame thanks to Garth Ennis but that’s about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Superfly Frankenstein View Post
    That would've been nice, most people don't have enough money to buy their usual pull list plus some new characters they might not like. On the flip though we might've not been able to see a couple of those books if the first few launches were unsuccessful.

I do wish the fans gave these guys a chance though Silencer, Sideways, Brimstone, and Damage were cool. I'm also sad Terrifics is ending soon.
    Reading List (Super behind but reading them nonetheless):
    DC: Currently figuring that out
    Marvel: Read above
    Image: Killadelphia, Nightmare Blog
    Other: The Antagonist, Something is Killing the Children, Avatar: TLAB
    Manga: My Hero Academia, MHA: Vigilanties, Soul Eater: the Perfect Edition, Berserk, Hunter X Hunter, Witch Hat Atelier, Kaiju No. 8

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Aahz View Post
    Jon Kent is also still around, and you could potentially also count some of the members of the current iteration of Teen Titans (Emiko, Wally West II).

But both companies hardly ever mange to get non legacy characters of the ground, and DC had more legacy characters to benign with, which makes it harder for them to add new ones.
    True, but my general point still is as is. Heck, for me, All-New-All-Different still rings fondly in my memory. Despite the backpedaling, it came off as a more earnest push. Contrast The New Age of Heroes which I also loved near-unanimously but which was not nearly backed in the same ongoingly earnest way prior to the backpedaling as ANAD was.

Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

Aside from what has already been mentioned, I checked out the previews, and just didn't see anything new there. Granted, you could argue every story has been told. But if you're giving me the preview to an origin of a brand new character, I would hope it's something thematically rich that feels somewhat original. An adventerous Eurasian mountaineer who saves overzealous travellers by turning into an epic goat, a lonely mortician who hangs around after hours to speak to the dead, a vapid stock broker who snorts a science experiment and gains the ability to cure (and bestow) addictions, a child who can enter and alter worlds of fiction in books and movies. None of that is 100% original, and maybe it's too indie-themed, but compared to another Hulk knock-off? I think it would be more successful. And that's literally after thining about it for 5 minutes.